ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 12:43 PM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Humaira
On the net I saw a law firm soliciting clients for a class action lawsuit against Lexus for the poor quality of the ES 350's paint job. Does anyone know anything about it? Has anyone from this forum joined the lawsuit?

08 Sapphire Black
Please contact them. There are so many people who don't do anything because they don't know what to do.

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com...t-problems.php

My name is on the class action law suit. My paint job is a joke. Everybody is in shock after they see it and when I tell them Lexus wouldn't do anything about it.
Old 03-30-11, 02:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be prepared to testify for the defense. My Lexus has the best paint finish of any car I have ever owned.
Old 03-30-11, 08:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NealK
http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com...t-problems.php

My name is on the class action law suit. My paint job is a joke. Everybody is in shock after they see it and when I tell them Lexus wouldn't do anything about it.
This lawsuit is a joke. Let me shoot a rock at 60-80mph and see if you "chip." Its rude analogy but its the same thing everyone on the list is complaining about
Originally Posted by *Batman*
I'd be prepared to testify for the defense. My Lexus has the best paint finish of any car I have ever owned.
Same here.
Old 03-31-11, 08:51 AM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus is well aware of their paint problems. Class action suit filed

Originally Posted by eyezack87
This lawsuit is a joke. Let me shoot a rock at 60-80mph and see if you "chip." Its rude analogy but its the same thing everyone on the list is complaining about

Same here.

A sure sign of ignorance is commenting on others paint jobs you have not seen. I own 2 Lexus vehicles. 1 is fine the other is a joke. I'm not complaining about the good one either. Consider yourself fortunate. Your car however is not representative of all their vehicles. It isn't any problem finding others with the same problem. My nephew is a manager at Finish Master , one of the largest auto body supply companies in the US and they have never seen a paint job as bad as mine. I'm guessing his testimony would carry more weight than yours.

Please watch video Ford Taurus vs. LS460 chipping test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvDXjYHtuw
Old 03-31-11, 09:48 AM
2008ES
Rookie

Well... that's a commercially produced video designed to sell the Ford Taurus, so any hope of impartiality is out the window. The voice-over for the money shot states, "If Ford engineers obsessed this much about the quality of the paint, you can only imagine the thought and craftsmanship put into the rest of the car." Which is truthful enough, but typically faulty-logic marketing puffery. It's true, we can "only imagine."

I'm not saying you don't have a case, but a slick ad that uses your car model as the victim in a sales comparison using glow-in-the-dark fluorescent paste and black lights is not necessarily a useful tool in your defense.
Old 03-31-11, 10:40 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus Ford finishes look cheap even if they are more durable. The colors lack depth and clarity. Completely unfit for a luxury car.

Lexuses are executive cars and most of us don't encounter gravel trucks on a day to day basis. In fact I've never encountered a gravel truck in my Lexus.
Old 03-31-11, 11:05 AM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Plus Ford finishes look cheap even if they are more durable. The colors lack depth and clarity. Completely unfit for a luxury car.

Lexuses are executive cars and most of us don't encounter gravel trucks on a day to day basis. In fact I've never encountered a gravel truck in my Lexus.
I took my Lexus IS in at 3400 miles to a Cadillac dealer in the area I was considering to repaint my car. His first comment was the front end looked like a car with 70000 plus miles on it. I have a 1999 Blazer, 140,000 miles, used for hunting, off road, utility, etc. When you match the front ends up ( both black ) the Chevrolet doesn't have hardly a mark on it. Night and day comparison. Lexus has a bunch of recalls, just because your car didn't have the problem doesn't mean the others don't.
Old 04-01-11, 04:42 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

A sure sign of ignorance is commenting on others paint jobs you have not seen. I own 2 Lexus vehicles. 1 is fine the other is a joke. I'm not complaining about the good one either. Consider yourself fortunate. Your car however is not representative of all their vehicles. It isn't any problem finding others with the same problem. My nephew is a manager at Finish Master , one of the largest auto body supply companies in the US and they have never seen a paint job as bad as mine. I'm guessing his testimony would carry more weight than yours.

Please watch video Ford Taurus vs. LS460 chipping test
Uh huh, and a sure sign of ignorance is assuming I don't own a Lexus at all and I have no idea about paint. Look in the Detailers section of this site and see who posts the most. I own 3 in my family. Oh, by the way, not that it even matters to you, I professionally detail paint as a side job. I've seen more types of paint than you ever will so please don't talk down on me. It wont work on this website. Soft, hard, normal, I've worked on all of them.

Stop driving so close to others and maybe that will help. Wind alone isn't enough to destroy a paint job. I've driven my cars 25k a year and I have very little chips.
Old 04-02-11, 07:38 AM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Uh huh, and a sure sign of ignorance is assuming I don't own a Lexus at all and I have no idea about paint. Look in the Detailers section of this site and see who posts the most. I own 3 in my family. Oh, by the way, not that it even matters to you, I professionally detail paint as a side job. I've seen more types of paint than you ever will so please don't talk down on me. It wont work on this website. Soft, hard, normal, I've worked on all of them.

Stop driving so close to others and maybe that will help. Wind alone isn't enough to destroy a paint job. I've driven my cars 25k a year and I have very little chips.
Hey expert, go back and read the last post again. I never said your car or every car has the problem. I don't remember you looking at my car. Did you miss the part about 3400 miles. I don't care if I primarily used it for off road, it has 3400 miles. Actually chipping is only one of the problems. This what my paint looks like parked in the sun and the Lexus factory rep said it was acceptable even though we parked it next to another 2010 and that car looked great. No they don't wipe off, its in the paint.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Job-fp4-1.jpg  
Old 04-02-11, 09:53 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Hey expert, go back and read the last post again. I never said your car or every car has the problem. I don't remember you looking at my car. Did you miss the part about 3400 miles. I don't care if I primarily used it for off road, it has 3400 miles. Actually chipping is only one of the problems. This what my paint looks like parked in the sun and the Lexus factory rep said it was acceptable even though we parked it next to another 2010 and that car looked great. No they don't wipe off, its in the paint.

It didn't come that way. If it did, shame on you for buying it. When I went shopping, I looked at the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. Bought the Lexus. Know which one had the worst paint?? The Mercedes, built in Germany. The one built in Brazil was better.
Old 04-03-11, 12:03 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

I'm using myself as an example just like you are to get people to sign that petition.

From my point of view, I can't tell anything in that photo other than:
1) potential rock chips
2) dust from everyday activities
3) finger print smudges
4) swirls
5) what appear to be slight holograms
6) what could be bird poo by the reflection of the tree

If you want me to give you a good look at the picture, clean off your car with QD to make it oil free, don't point the sun at it to "highlight" the chips (play with angles to enhance), and do a few macro shots of it since you know a broad shot wont do me any good

I did miss that earlier comment, but I doubt it'll change my answer. It doesn't do you any justice to compare it to a 90s Blazer. Do you know what type of paint they used at the time vs what Lexus MUST use today? Regulations are updated a lot when regarding types of paint/solvents. If I'm honest with you, using the 3400 miles argument is the exact same thing as complaining about Lexus using cheap metal since you got a door ding or something to me. I'm not really understanding that logic
Old 04-04-11, 01:52 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like somebody is trying to get paid. Blame it on the bad economy I guess.
Old 08-25-20, 10:10 AM
LauraB10
Driver School Candidate

Default Would like Class Action Info

Lexus says . Too bad! I also have a 2nd one that is kind of perfect .. so far .. The dealership told us they'd definitely cover the paint since it's the worst they'd ever seen .. after weeks of getting estimates .. Corporate Lexus said we didn't have enough service issues for them to justify .. Really? So since I literally had zero problems till now, they won't stand behind their product .. This just started this year and now the entire car looks diseased !
Just got their response today .. I'm not giving up ..or I'll make sure everyone I meet sees this and knows Lexus won't stand behind their faulty paint .. They've extended the warranty for 2 other colors with the same issue.. but not the Red or any other .. We just get to live with this!