ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Just got the call

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 06:32 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Just got the call

Well my dealer just gave me a call and wanted to make an appointment to take care of the gas peddle modification and the oil line issue. I told him I wanted the oil line fixed but did not want the gas peddle cut. I did not like the modification and felt that the present 2" clearance is more than adequate enough. I mentioned I wouldn't be a recipient of the Darwin award so lets just do the oil line. I'll make the appointment in a few weeks.
Old 02-17-10, 12:27 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My ES is 2007 and I also have Lexus "winter mat" on top of standard mat and I took a picture of the padel at an angle where I could see clearance and there is lots space below and the mat is secure and even it were to move forward it would slide under the padel leaving 1in of room. It is Japan built so I don't know if that is what the difference is ?
Old 02-17-10, 12:36 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, you're refusing to allow Lexus to "fix" the "problem" with involuntary acceleration as they have diagnosed it for the ES? If so, you're making a big mistake in my opinion. "Darwin Award" rhetoric aside, by refusing to allow them the opportunity to effectively "fix" the problem as Lexus has determined such you may be foregoing/foreclosing certain rights and claims that could be available (to you) later. For instance, if your car later exhibits this problem, you may be foreclosed from claiming the cause as anything but the length of the gas pedal (if that's the so called fix). [Many experts and owners have been saying that the problem is electrical or computer system related.] It strikes me that you have to accept Lexus' offer to "fix" the problem in order to preserve any claims that you may wish to assert against Lexus in the future. In this connection, such claims in this regard could also include rescission - demanding that Lexus take back their car.
Old 02-17-10, 07:03 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
So, you're refusing to allow Lexus to "fix" the "problem" with involuntary acceleration as they have diagnosed it for the ES? If so, you're making a big mistake in my opinion. "Darwin Award" rhetoric aside, by refusing to allow them the opportunity to effectively "fix" the problem as Lexus has determined such you may be foregoing/foreclosing certain rights and claims that could be available (to you) later. For instance, if your car later exhibits this problem, you may be foreclosed from claiming the cause as anything but the length of the gas pedal (if that's the so called fix). [Many experts and owners have been saying that the problem is electrical or computer system related.] It strikes me that you have to accept Lexus' offer to "fix" the problem in order to preserve any claims that you may wish to assert against Lexus in the future. In this connection, such claims in this regard could also include rescission - demanding that Lexus take back their car.
Well it's just a matter of opinion. Lexus is pacifying (CYA) the world with the peddle cut modification. This is not a problem and someone to get this peddle caught with a matt is beyond logic thus the Darwin award. If I were on a jury where this came up in a law suit my goal would be to throw the case out. Now if this were an electronics problem related to the fly by wire accelerator then that would be a different issue and would be detached from the peddle. I will relieve them from the peddle/matt question. The clearance under the peddle does not warrant this change. On the other hand the Camray peddle issue is a design flaw which needs to be corrected.
Old 02-17-10, 07:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I think it's a personal choice whether or not to have the pedal/floor modification done.

OTOH, I had the work done on my '07 before I decided to trade it in on a '10, which had the modifications done before I bought it.

In both cases it was no big deal, doesn't feel any different, can't hurt and quickly forgotten.
Old 02-17-10, 08:51 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my 07 es 350 down tonight for the oil line recall and asked if I could just have the ECU reflashed and they said it is all or nothing. I hope they do a good job. From the pictures in the other thread it could be bad. I mentioned this to the SA and he said that they have received no complaints.