ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

"Faraday Cage" for storing extra fob in the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 08:57 PM
Ddallasite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Faraday Cage" for storing extra fob in the car

Just took delivery of my red 2010 ES 350 today. Yay! Love it.

One challenge:
I use valet parking at the airport (I travel every week). I don't want to hand over my keyfob to the parking attendant, because if they lose it while I'm gone, now we have no way to enter or start the car (I've had this happen in the past). So I want to keep MY keyfob with me when I fly out.

I want to be able to store the spare keyfob inside the car, so that I don't have to remember to bring it with me every time I want to use valet. Obviously with these electronic keyfobs, this is a problem.

So I'm thinking of making a "faraday cage" for my spare fob, so I can store it inside the center console and have it handy when I need it. I know it works--I wrapped the fob in aluminum foil, walked up to the car with it, and presto--could not open the locked door. Unwrap foil just a tad, and presto--now I can open the door.

I guess my question is, what detrimental effect would storing the fob inside the foil have on the fob? Would it fry the battery sooner than usual, or something?
Old 11-28-09, 09:37 PM
racingt
Rookie

Remove the battery from the spare fob, place spare fob and battery in a plastic baggie in your storage place inside the car before leaving. Upon return, pop battery into spare fob and you should be good to go. No worries.
Old 11-28-09, 09:47 PM
Ddallasite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by racingt
Remove the battery from the spare fob, place spare fob and battery in a plastic baggie in your storage place inside the car before leaving. Upon return, pop battery into spare fob and you should be good to go. No worries.

Well your idea is valid...you've got the leaving/returning part switched but that doesn't matter.

The question concerning your recommendation is: if one leaves the battery out of the fob for an extended period, does the Fob then have to be "re-paired" or re-programmed? Will it lose its ability to link to the car?
Old 11-28-09, 10:00 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storing the fob in foil seems like I good idea, if it actually works.
I believe the interface is an active-type of RFID.
Foil should not damage the fob or lead to higher power consumption levels.
My advice comes from 14-years as an electrical engineer.
I have the similar problem. I wan't to hide a spare fob in the vehicle.
One idea is to hack the fob and add a micro slide switch so I can turn on and off the fob easily.
Old 11-28-09, 10:11 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Lexus engineers are smarter that we all are...
You CAN lock the second fob inside with battery and without "Faraday cage".
Just put it in the glove box and lock it with the mechanical key.
Now you can lock the car with "Lock" button on the other fob.
The button on the door handle would not lock the car with fob inside, but the other fob buttons do lock/unlock the doors.
Then, keep the mechanical key and give the fob to anyone. Just tell them to use the buttons on the fob, not the door sensors/buttons - they do not work when there is a fob inside.
If the idiot loses the fob, you can unlock the door and then the glove box with the mechanical key and get your spare fob.
Old 11-28-09, 11:01 PM
Ddallasite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
The button on the door handle would not lock the car with fob inside, but the other fob buttons do lock/unlock the doors.
Then, keep the mechanical key and give the fob to anyone. Just tell them to use the buttons on the fob, not the door sensors/buttons - they do not work when there is a fob inside.
If the idiot loses the fob, you can unlock the door and then the glove box with the mechanical key and get your spare fob.
Very nice! Thank you!
Old 04-17-15, 11:05 PM
Interestan
Driver School Candidate

There’s one place already selling “military spec” car key faraday cages for this exact purpose: http://www.carkeycage.com
Old 04-18-15, 04:24 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
IF this is correct (no disrespect to Z ) it should be made a sticky for all owners to see!
Old 04-18-15, 08:21 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut View Post
Just put it in the glove box and lock it with the m......

well I just had to run out and try this and it works good catch zhivuyatut
Old 04-18-15, 04:12 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not recommend doing this, even though it seems like a good idea.

Let's say someone broke into the car - either by somehow unlocking the door mechanically or knocking out a window. Since the fob is inside, the car won't care either way - thief on a whim just tries the start button (maybe he's just there to take some personal effects) and boom, dash lights light up.

Even if someone doesn't break in, you could accidentally leave the car unlocked and it becomes a crime of opportunity.
Old 04-18-15, 04:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I would not recommend doing this, even though it seems like a good idea.

Let's say someone broke into the car - either by somehow unlocking the door mechanically or knocking out a window. Since the fob is inside, the car won't care either way - thief on a whim just tries the start button (maybe he's just there to take some personal effects) and boom, dash lights light up.

Even if someone doesn't break in, you could accidentally leave the car unlocked and it becomes a crime of opportunity.
Good point. The fob isn't electronically "hidden" this way. Maybe the aluminum foil idea is better if it reliably blocks the signal 100% of the time.
Old 04-18-15, 06:49 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Aluminum foil works. I tried it today.
Old 05-28-15, 09:56 AM
emir
Driver School Candidate

or, for home use, you could do like this guy: https://slapphappe.wordpress.com/201...y-car-keys-in/
Old 06-02-15, 04:54 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Amazon sells a pouch for cell phones to block tracking. It works for key fobs as well and is very affordable. Great if your car is parked in your driveway or curb side and you leave your key nearby.
Amazon.com: Ska Direct® Cell Phone Privacy Protection Bag 100% Anti-tracking Anti-spying GPS Rfid Signal Blocker Pouch Case Bag Handset Function Bag - Compatible With: Iphone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Lg Optimus, Moto X and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Ska Direct® Cell Phone Privacy Protection Bag 100% Anti-tracking Anti-spying GPS Rfid Signal Blocker Pouch Case Bag Handset Function Bag - Compatible With: Iphone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Lg Optimus, Moto X and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 01-13-16, 08:57 PM
idriveaudi
Driver School Candidate

I'm a little surprised *anyone* would want to leave a spare key in the car. I smash a window and steal your car? No thanks.

Why not just attach both key fobs to your key chain?