ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus Service Declining?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 07:40 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Service Declining?

Lexus has always hung it's hat on it's reliability rating and has recently reclaimed the top stop in the initial quality study. However, I have to say I'm very disappointed with their service department, most recently based on personal experience.

I've now been to a dealer on 3 separate occasions for the same exact engine problem. On two of the trips I had gotten 5 miles away and experienced a major issue. I've been without the car for over 2 weeks now. My mother owns a Lexus in Florida and lost her car for over a month for an electrical (starter) issue. I've always enjoyed the high level of service and the way the counselors treat you when you show up, but I have to question the competancy of the mechanics. In browsing other Lexus forums, I've found similar stories.

At any rate, my lease expires next month and after 3 Lexus' in a row it's time for me to move on! Really liking the new Maxima
Old 06-25-09, 10:11 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your service dept. However, this incident is not indicative of Lexus service as a whole. I for one have had excellent experience with my particular service dept. You should shop around for other service dept. if you are unhappy with the mechanics.
Old 06-25-09, 01:41 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had great service at Metro Lexus - Cleveland but hometown Lexus dealer - very poor.
Old 06-25-09, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

No doubt that service levels can vary by dealership. I've been more than pleased with mine. Fortunately I haven't to use them much in over three years. I agree with the previous poster to shop around until you find one that you're comfortable with.
Old 06-25-09, 03:24 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience but I have found Lexus service to be a principal reason to stay with the brand. I waivered just once in the last 16 years and went to an Infiniti just because I liked the looks of the car but even though I tried 4 different service departments in the Phoenix area I could not wait to get back to Lexus. Their service was nothing like Lexus and I at times even questioned their integrity - like doing repeated "warranty" repairs for problems that I did not even think were present. Only one time did Lexus even have my car for a few (4) days for a repair and they called every day (while I drove the free loaner) to tell me the status - waiting for a part.

Dave Mac
Old 06-26-09, 02:58 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've had superb service from my dealer. Sorry to hear of your woes. If you have the means, try to find another dealer. They are not all the same. Lexus is still rated ontop for service.
Old 06-29-09, 08:14 AM
derrick
Driver School Candidate

Seems most technicians do is hook your car up and prays the computer can tell him/her what's wrong. If that doesn't help ... then the technician has to use their brain to figure out the problem (good luck on that one ...)

So I don't think one can blame the Service Dept, per se ... but the actual technician working on your car. The Service Manager should be the person to communicate with you what's the problem and how long it should take to have the issue resolved. Anything that requires more than 2-3 days means they have put your car on the backburner so they can make $$$ changing oil and doing other services that are brainless.

It seems like many dealerships are forgetting the importance of forging good relations with their customers. If I was treated like that, I would certainly move to another car make. I still love Honda products but my local dealership service dept was downright awful, so I moved onto Acura. I would still be driving an Acura but they don't make RWD vehicles (S2000 does not have a backseat), so Infiniti it is. And based upon the 3 dealerships I have had my Infiniti serviced, all have provided a very high level of service (at least, that's how I felt).

As for my ES350 ... I have to take it in since it has less than 1000km on the odometer.