15,000 mile service seems a bit overpriced to me

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 06:03 AM
harrington
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15,000 mile service seems a bit overpriced to me

$225.00

I know I pay $38,000 for a car I shouldn't be complaining about the cost to have it serviced but man they do seem to get you pretty good on everything. Even an oil change set me back 44 bucks.
Old 12-07-08, 08:28 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been very happy with my local Toyota dealer doing my routine services. Oil changes, tire rotations, 30K B-G brake flush. Might want to check into that....only negative is that there is no loaner car. The 3.5L engine is in many Toyota models as well, they know how to work on it.

Also, I am still on the mailing list for coupons. Oil changes for $14.95, free tire rotations.

Last edited by MD350; 12-07-08 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 10:30 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not going to use either Lexus or Toyota for service. The only thing I am disapointed with Lexus is that they do not have a free service every 10K miles for 40K miles as my previous car had. Based on looking at the maintenance book there is nothing unique about the every 5K service that I can't do myself. Also at the 5K service the Lexus dealer had spilled oil on the engine cover which I had to clean. So oil changes are simple and tire rotation is no big deal. As far as the other checks they are straight forward. I suspect if there are any waranty issues I will go to the dealer. I have 8K miles on my 08 and have had 2 oil changes (1 I did , 1 from Lexus). So far the car is perfect with no issues. My 2 cents
Old 12-07-08, 12:52 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed, but for those that don't work on their own cars the Toyota shop will save you money.
Old 12-07-08, 06:25 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'm not going to use either Lexus or Toyota for service. The only thing I am disapointed with Lexus is that they do not have a free service every 10K miles for 40K miles as my previous car had. Based on looking at the maintenance book there is nothing unique about the every 5K service that I can't do myself. Also at the 5K service the Lexus dealer had spilled oil on the engine cover which I had to clean. So oil changes are simple and tire rotation is no big deal. As far as the other checks they are straight forward. I suspect if there are any waranty issues I will go to the dealer. I have 8K miles on my 08 and have had 2 oil changes (1 I did , 1 from Lexus). So far the car is perfect with no issues. My 2 cents
A word of caution! The only down turn to working on or servicing your own car is that it WILL make it more difficult when it comes to warranty issues. Lexus states in the maintenance book they will not deny warranty coverage if you service your own car but you better believe that you are going to have a fight on your hands when it does come down to them covering something under warranty especially if you or someone else has worked on or serviced the car. Lexus was going to deny warranty coverage for replacing the entire braking system when it was found there was transmission fluid in the braking system. My brakes failed and Lexus stated the entire system had to be rebuilt. They claimed that I or someone else who did the last oil change made the mistake and I would be responsible. The warranty ended up being covered when proof was provided that all servicing and work had been done at Lexus dealerships. I never had to add brake fluid to the reservoir as it was always within limit. It is beyond me how someone mistaked transmission fluid for brake fluid when topping off my fluids upon servicing. It was a $6,000 costly mistake on their part and would NOT have been covered if I or a non-dealer ever serviced or worked on the car.
Old 12-08-08, 04:38 AM
static
Driver

I stuck with the Lexus Service until they quoted over 750.00 for the 30k.

Have been taking it to our fav local shop since then. Besides the regular services I've had to buy tires @ about 50k and had the brakes redone @ about 52k (front rotors and all four pads).
Old 12-08-08, 03:43 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pestleman0
A word of caution! The only down turn to working on or servicing your own car is that it WILL make it more difficult when it comes to warranty issues. Lexus states in the maintenance book they will not deny warranty coverage if you service your own car but you better believe that you are going to have a fight on your hands when it does come down to them covering something under warranty especially if you or someone else has worked on or serviced the car. Lexus was going to deny warranty coverage for replacing the entire braking system when it was found there was transmission fluid in the braking system. My brakes failed and Lexus stated the entire system had to be rebuilt. They claimed that I or someone else who did the last oil change made the mistake and I would be responsible. The warranty ended up being covered when proof was provided that all servicing and work had been done at Lexus dealerships. I never had to add brake fluid to the reservoir as it was always within limit. It is beyond me how someone mistaked transmission fluid for brake fluid when topping off my fluids upon servicing. It was a $6,000 costly mistake on their part and would NOT have been covered if I or a non-dealer ever serviced or worked on the car.
Your story is exactly why I will do my own service until I am to old to do it. After 45 years of wrench turning it's not a problem working on another piece of tin with a motor. The only thing different is I now use a scanner and a laptop.
Old 12-08-08, 07:17 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15000 mile service is too soon for a Lexus. Oil change only until you need tire and brakes.

30000, maybe. Do it at 50000 and skip 60000.

Lexus is just making huge monies for servicing luxury customers. You can save alot by just doing oil until you need otherwise. Change filters, etc yourself.
Old 03-11-09, 02:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by static
I stuck with the Lexus Service until they quoted over 750.00 for the 30k.

Have been taking it to our fav local shop since then. Besides the regular services I've had to buy tires @ about 50k and had the brakes redone @ about 52k (front rotors and all four pads).
This is an older thread, but has anyone had the 36 month/30,000 mile service done on their car? I just checked with my dealer and they charge $640 for it. Seems high to me when you look at what is actually done. Basic items plus a lot of "Inspect the following". Is this in the ballpark with what others have paid?
Old 03-11-09, 02:38 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

All of these numbers seem insane to me. There's nothing they could do at the dealer that would be unique and/or better than what you could find elsewhere (and for a fraction of the price). I don't see how getting an oil change and tire rotation at a garage could void a warranty.
Old 03-13-09, 05:07 AM
mayormike
Driver School Candidate

Had my 20K service, (2008 ES350) oil chg and tire rotation for 149 dollars at Lexis Dealer. Boy was I surprised at the charge. The same week, my cousin had the same service on his mini-van at a local tire and muffler shop for 18 dollars. I will use the Lexis dealer for warranty work only from now on. They can go to.....heck!
Old 03-14-09, 05:40 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This is an older thread, but has anyone had the 36 month/30,000 mile service done on their car? I just checked with my dealer and they charge $640 for it. Seems high to me when you look at what is actually done. Basic items plus a lot of "Inspect the following". Is this in the ballpark with what others have paid?
At 30K, I had the brake fluid flushed, a BG flush, for under $100. This was at a Toyota dealer. They were honest, they said nothing else needed to be done. My air filter was clean, and I changed the cabin filter myself. I am now at 40K miles and have done nothing else (other than oil changes). 640 is high, I bet it includes a bunch of checking this and checking that...which is usually all fine.
Old 03-14-09, 06:13 PM
terrypm
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MD350
I have been very happy with my local Toyota dealer doing my routine services. Oil changes, tire rotations, 30K B-G brake flush. Might want to check into that....only negative is that there is no loaner car. The 3.5L engine is in many Toyota models as well, they know how to work on it.

Also, I am still on the mailing list for coupons. Oil changes for $14.95, free tire rotations.
I too received a coupon for a $15.95 oil change from Herrin Gear, a local Toyota dealer. At the bottom it said "for Toyota's only". Naturally I called them to inquire about my Lexus. I asked did the coupon apply to my Lexus since it is made by Toyota. I was rudely told no it did not because it was not a Toyota. I told him that was strange on the door id plate it states "made by Toyota". He said sorry your oil change is not $15.95. I asked him if his Avalon did not have the same engine and use the same oil and filter as my 350? He informed me I needed to take it to Herrin Gear Lexus for a oil change.
I then told him to NEVER send me any more service specials since he would not honor them for my car.
Old 03-15-09, 08:12 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

WOW, my Toyota dealer in Maryland says Toyotas only, but I have never had an issue going there. I have owned a Sienna a few years ago, and they know me there...maybe that helps.

Sorry things did not go your way...may speak to the service manager?
Old 03-15-09, 01:32 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the same owners have a Lexus and Toyota within say 25 miles of each other, I do not think they will honor the cross coupon shopping. It sort of makes sense that why would you want Peter to take from the hand of Paul? If it's a standalone Toyota dealership with no Lexus within a 50 mile radius, then I don't see a Toyota dealership not wanting to do a $15 job that they are surely making $7 on atleast, for 10-15 minutes of a mechanic's time. Plus, to get you in the door means they can then find other issues, and or get your business for future repairs.