ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

opinon needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 07:15 PM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default opinon needed?

i just wanted to know if installing a injen intake on m brnd new es350 would void any warranty? i have a injen intake for my old 2004 3.3l solara that fits perfect on my es350 and was undecided wheter to do it or not...... i only have 800 miles on the car..
Old 10-11-08, 08:39 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it! And post some pics. I have been looking to install a k&n intake!
Old 10-13-08, 09:59 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on what the issue is Lexus could void the vehicle warranty. Since the performance intake is not just a replacement for an OEM air filter it could be viewed as a performance mod. While a failure of something like your CD player or the like would be covered a failure of a power train item might be viewed as caused by a mod that is not manufacture approved. I do not think that this is a stretch of reasoning at all. I have a 2000 F-350 diesel and have seen the issue come up a number of times in the Ford Diesel community. Some dealers actually sell mods such as chips, exhaust and intakes so they probably won't deny a warranty claim, but other dealers not only denied claims but annotated the mod in OAIS which is Fords big database. So any subsequent warranty claims by the current or next owner at a different dealer would probably denied also.

With all that said if the warranty issue really concerns you I would recommend you see what your service manager has to say about it. With the costs Lexus incurred on the ES 350 transmission it would not be surprising to seem them take any opportunity to deny a warranty claim to get out of the expense. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-08, 05:19 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line, most dealers will try to deny a warranty claim if your MOD was related to or caused the issue. They are afraid of being denied once they submit the claim to the manufact.

Heck, I can't get Lexus to fix some things on my car under warranty and it is 100% OEM
Old 10-13-08, 06:39 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BillP
Depending on what the issue is Lexus could void the vehicle warranty.
They could deny a warranty claim if it can be proven that the non-factory-approved aftermarket item/product directly caused the failure, but they cannot void the entire vehicle warranty because of it...not unless the vehicle warranty explicitly states that such is permitted. If you're familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, then you know exactly what I mean...
Old 10-13-08, 08:24 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
They could deny a warranty claim if it can be proven that the non-factory-approved aftermarket item/product directly caused the failure, but they cannot void the entire vehicle warranty because of it...not unless the vehicle warranty explicitly states that such is permitted. If you're familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, then you know exactly what I mean...
I am familiar with M-M Warranty Act. It protects a vehicle owner when using replacement parts not produced by the OEM. While it has good intention, sighting the act doesn't deter a dealer or manufacture from denying a claim. At least F**dMOCO was willing to deny claims and put it in the lap of the owner to then take it to court. They know very few have the time or the funds to fight it out in court. I'm not defending the manufacture or the the owner its just they way the issues have played out. Also take a look at our warranty. Her's an excerpt.

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:
# Misuse—for example, racing or overloading.
# Improper repairs.
# Alteration or tampering.

Putting a performance part on the car pretty much voids the warranty if the dealer wants to press the issue. I've been a gear head since high school but with the cost of cars these days I'm pretty careful on what I do to them.

Last edited by BillP; 10-14-08 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-13-08, 11:17 PM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh Well!! Thanks For The Info. But It Doesn't Fit.... The Sensor Is Smaller Than My Solara's Was And It Fits Loosly. So Close But No Cigar.
Old 10-17-08, 01:16 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

What a lot of people do is put it on, and then replace it with the OEM part before they go to the dealer.
Old 10-23-08, 12:18 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BillP
This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:
# Misuse—for example, racing or overloading.
# Improper repairs.
# Alteration or tampering.

Putting a performance part on the car pretty much voids the warranty if the dealer wants to press the issue. I've been a gear head since high school but with the cost of cars these days I'm pretty careful on what I do to them.
So based on your comments (above), you're insinuating that it's possible for a manufacturer to deny a warranty claim for say, a rear-view mirror that no longer dims...all because the owner chose to install say, an aftermarket air intake system? Why would installing a performance part necessarily void the ENTIRE warranty? If that were allowable, then theoretically the installation of ANY non-factory part--performance or otherwise--could be grounds for voiding the entire warranty.
Old 10-24-08, 07:26 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

No, they can't void the warranty simply cuz you have any aftermarket part on.

It's supposed to be "related". The problem is, some dealers really stretch how related an aftermarket part is to the broken part.

Take the air intake and rear view mirror that doesn't dim. The bad dealer will say the intake put stress on all the powertrain parts, including the battery and alternator, which in turn may have fried the electricals, including the rear view mirror. If they wanna deny, they get pretty creative.
Old 10-28-08, 09:10 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by codex57
It's supposed to be "related". The problem is, some dealers really stretch how related an aftermarket part is to the broken part.

Take the air intake and rear view mirror that doesn't dim. The bad dealer will say the intake put stress on all the powertrain parts, including the battery and alternator, which in turn may have fried the electricals, including the rear view mirror. If they wanna deny, they get pretty creative.
LOL (not at you)...makes you wonder how creative they can be if it were the intake and say, the center console or glove box door (it doesn't latch correctly)...