ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

DVD navigation system on 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 10:41 PM
smallville
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD navigation system on 350

What exactly is meant by "DVD" navigation..is it because it has a dvd player in it? may be a silly question but when i bought my 350 this year, i actually tried to play a dvd but never worked ....do you have to get the mark levinson package for it ?
Old 08-22-08, 05:12 AM
redglass
Driver School Candidate

It means that the maps are on a DVD vs a CD. In older versions the NAV systems got their map data from CD's which hold significantly less data. This meant swapping CD's for going out of your region. A DVD can hold all the map data on one disc due to the increased storage capability.
Old 08-22-08, 06:50 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smallville
What exactly is meant by "DVD" navigation..is it because it has a dvd player in it? may be a silly question but when i bought my 350 this year, i actually tried to play a dvd but never worked ....do you have to get the mark levinson package for it ?
You must have the ML system to play DVDs. You must also have the car in park and the emergency brake on.
Old 08-22-08, 02:41 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

With hard drive based navigation systems around, being a DVD based navigation system is no longer anything to brag about. Of course, Toyota still puts cassette players in their cars so they can still point to the DVD player as being cutting edge technology.

And yeah, you need the ML package to watch DVD movies. But that's from the CD changer (actually DVD changer). The DVD holding the navi maps is loaded into a separate slot from the regular CD changer you use for music. And if you read the sticky up top, there's a way to modify the system so you can watch DVDs without needing the brake pedal off (legality and safety of doing so is a whole 'nother topic).
Old 08-25-08, 10:17 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD350
You must have the ML system to play DVDs. You must also have the car in park and the emergency brake on.
Ah, not necessarily.
Old 09-01-08, 11:10 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
Ah, not necessarily.
That's exactly the way MD350 said!! We're not talking about modifications that are being done by individuals to defeat the factory specifications.
Old 09-01-08, 01:48 PM
EmJayES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smallville
By the way, smallville, on your stereo the slot for the navigation DVD is behind the "LEXUS" panel. See owner's manual. The only time you'd need to use the slot is to insert an updated navigation DVD.
Old 09-11-08, 09:27 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amf1932
That's exactly the way MD350 said!! We're not talking about modifications that are being done by individuals to defeat the factory specifications.
Dearest Alan (amf1932)

1. What did MD350 say? He said you need the car to be in park and the emergency brake set. On my car only the parking brake needs to be set to watch DVD’s on the ML/Nav. (before I had the nasty done...maybe the Dirty Denso?)
2. This is your first quote in the thread. Had I known you were involved In discussion I would have chosen my words with greater alacrity You are quick to moderate the parameters of the discussion throwing in Spam about a subject and using the term: “what we’re talking about” as if you are speaking for the entire group, an interesting approach. Had I known that such prolific contributor was involved I would have proffered my opinion in a different manner so as not to offend. It’s just this is your first contribution to the thread.
3.So what? Oh and while I love the modification I rarely use it. Just knowing it is there and I have the capability is enough for me. Why loose out? Why let Mrs. Lexus tell you that is all you can have? Be responsible and control your actions, or are you too out of controls to check your needs and feelings before you enter the car (and turn from Mr. Walker (pedestrian) to Mr. Wheeler (Motorist)?. And, it’s fun too.

So my dear Alan, please add me to your ignore list and I will do the same, just like I did with Kuiss; I will never darken your virtual space again,

Sorry if you feel offended. I certainly was.

Regards, PETER
Old 09-12-08, 04:50 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Dearest Peter(PSP)

1. Calm down

2. Don't be so sensitive

3. I have every right to voice my opinion

4. I will have the last laugh if you bring your car in for service and find that your warranty is no longer in effect, due to your illegal "modification"

5. I stick by what I said

6. Have a nice day
Old 09-12-08, 11:59 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
4. I will have the last laugh if you bring your car in for service and find that your warranty is no longer in effect, due to your illegal "modification"
I think it should be "illegal" modification.

There is nothing illegal going on, is there? If so, what?

And what's the point of having a warranty on something that doesn't work the way you want vs. not having a warranty on something that does work as you want it to? I'll take a good product over a good warranty any day.

Last edited by static; 09-12-08 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 09-12-08, 01:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by static
I think it should be "illegal" modification.

There is nothing illegal going on, is there? If so, what?

And what's the point of having a warranty on something that doesn't work the way you want vs. not having a warranty on something that does work as you want it to? I'll take a good product over a good warranty any day.
I agree that an owner should have the right to control any parameters on their automobiles that they see fit, but due to legal reasons manufacturers have to protect themselves, and that's why they'll void the warranty if an owner takes it upon themselves to cut/change, or modify the factory wiring.
Please understand that I don't agree with their decisions, but that's the way it is.