ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 windows and tint

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 02:21 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 windows and tint

Specs say it's water repellent and UV reduction. Plus, it also says privacy in the back? Is that right?

In real life, does water really bubble off? Do you feel any reduction in heat or is the UV thing just so you don't get sunburned as quickly? And are they tinted in the back?

It gets 110+ here in the summer so I'm planning on getting Huper Optik tint in the back like my current car. Trying to plan it so I have a tint appointment the same day I pick up the car. But, if the car is tinted already or rejects heat like the blue Mercedes glass, I might hold out.
Old 12-01-07, 06:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by codex57
Specs say it's water repellent and UV reduction. Plus, it also says privacy in the back? Is that right?

In real life, does water really bubble off? Do you feel any reduction in heat or is the UV thing just so you don't get sunburned as quickly? And are they tinted in the back?

It gets 110+ here in the summer so I'm planning on getting Huper Optik tint in the back like my current car. Trying to plan it so I have a tint appointment the same day I pick up the car. But, if the car is tinted already or rejects heat like the blue Mercedes glass, I might hold out.
The front driver and passenger side windows are water repellent for better side visibility and use of the rear view mirrors. I sometimes use a touchless drive thru car wash and it's noticeable after the heavy soap cycle. You can see the side windows clear off while the rears are still covered with soap. I'd kind of forgotten about the feature until I saw your post.

Not sure about your tint question.
Old 12-01-07, 11:19 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The front driver and passenger side windows are water repellent for better side visibility and use of the rear view mirrors. I sometimes use a touchless drive thru car wash and it's noticeable after the heavy soap cycle. You can see the side windows clear off while the rears are still covered with soap. I'd kind of forgotten about the feature until I saw your post.

Not sure about your tint question.
Do you have tint in the rear from the factory? The Lexus website doesn't make it clear and I can't remember from my dealer visits cuz I was concentrating on other stuff.
Old 12-01-07, 12:08 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

I just got my car tinted last week, i have a black on black, so yeah, it pretty much needs it. Yes it does reduce heat and protects the interior. I have 5% all around the back and and read windows, and 35% on the front windows, I am also contemplating 50% on the windshield. If you do it, make sure you get the ceramic tint. I should take pics soon. It helps a lot, i can totally tell the difference with just driving down with windows down and the sun shining. If its on my side, i just close the window and its not hot anymore. I would recomment it, but again you are risking some attention from the police, if you care about that sort of thing. I believe the rear windows and back are completely legal, its the front ones that debatable.
Old 12-01-07, 12:34 PM
Druha
Pole Position

yeah i've noticed the water bubble off, mmm in terms of the UV protection, i'm sure that's just as it says...UV protection, so doesnt affect heat as much as a tint would where that actually blocks/reflects the sunlight, uv is what causes sunburn, skin cancer as u know.

it might be my imagination, but i think there is almost a greenish hue in terms of the factory normal tint that's built into the windows..

i plan on getting the windows tinted, i dont think it effectively "blocks" sunlight for me, plus i like the look, my last car was 20% all around, with this car i might look for 30% all around, because i think the car's outward greenhouse visibility is really low, worried bout night time driving

Last edited by Druha; 12-01-07 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 04:42 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by SmokeyES35
I just got my car tinted last week, i have a black on black, so yeah, it pretty much needs it. Yes it does reduce heat and protects the interior. I have 5% all around the back and and read windows, and 35% on the front windows, I am also contemplating 50% on the windshield. If you do it, make sure you get the ceramic tint. I should take pics soon. It helps a lot, i can totally tell the difference with just driving down with windows down and the sun shining. If its on my side, i just close the window and its not hot anymore. I would recomment it, but again you are risking some attention from the police, if you care about that sort of thing. I believe the rear windows and back are completely legal, its the front ones that debatable.
Yeah, I'm looking to get Smokey Granite Mica/Black. With summers at 110+ here, I'm VERY worried about heat.

The wife likes what I did with the current car. Huper Optik (ceramic) 30 in the back and V-Kool 70 on the front sides (got tired of dealing with the cops for just tint).

Do you have ceramic tint? I know there are other manufacturers now with ceramic tint but I don't know if they're as good as Huper. I'd like to go darker than 30, but unless things have changed in the past year or so, CA dealers don't stock the Huper 20. I had 5% on a previous car and while I like the look, it decreases my visibility just enough at night that I'd rather just go a bit lighter.

Oh, I'd recommend tinting the front windshield if you don't mind the legal aspect of it. Buddy did it on his Merc C32. Did Huper 60 on it. Can't tell it's there cuz he's got 5% all around otherwise and makes a huge difference in heat. Doesn't need a sunshade.
Old 12-03-07, 12:49 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

well the dealer I go through used llumar. I've had it in the past, about 9 years ago with my integra and they did an excellent job, so i went back with them. Well they told me the tint they used was a ceramic, and i had to pay a little extra for it, but it looks sweet, and to be honest i have no idea how to tell the difference between metallic and ceramic tints, all I know is the antenna hast been affected so i guess thats a good thing. Yeah, Im going in this weekend and getting the front tinted at 50% and having them smoke out the tail lights, im spending too much money on this car but i cant help it.
Old 12-04-07, 03:08 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Metallic may interfere with reception/range of things like radio, cell phones, radar detectors, etc. Ceramic is supposed to give the performance of metallic without affecting reception. I just don't know if all ceramic tints are the same.

Huper and V-Kool cost an arm and a leg compared to other regular tints, but the stuff does work. A year ago or so, I got quotes for V-Kool (metallic) for my friend's IS350, and they were quoting $600 for all 5 windows. Back when I got it, it was only $400-450 for 5 windows. Huper is still around $400 for 5 windows. Normal tint goes anywhere from $100-250 so both are quite expensive. I'm totally happy with the performance of the tint though.
Old 12-12-07, 09:09 AM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Metallic may interfere with reception/range of things like radio, cell phones, radar detectors, etc. Ceramic is supposed to give the performance of metallic without affecting reception. I just don't know if all ceramic tints are the same.

Huper and V-Kool cost an arm and a leg compared to other regular tints, but the stuff does work.
I got the Huper and it made my AM radio all but useless. I am suppose to take it back so they can remove some of the tint around the antenna. FM was not effected. If you go to the Huper site and read the fine print you will see it contains metal.

"What Is Nano-ceramics?Ceramics are tough and stable materials. Due to their ability to withstand adverse conditions, nano-ceramics are used in NASA's space program directly on the shuttles, integrated circuit component chips and even in industrial drill bits and cutting tools. The Huper Optik Ceramic coating is an extremely thin layer of the electrically conductive transition metal oxynitride, which has intrinsic solar selectivity originating from its unique molecular structure. Nano-ceramics are atomic-fine, equivalent to 0.000000001m, discrete optical coatings that are deposited through reactive plasma processes. They are therefore able to reject more heat and, being ceramic, Huper Optik Ceramic films are also more durable than any other window films. "
Old 12-12-07, 12:56 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Yeah, I read that on certain cars, Huper affected reception. All I know is, on a BMW 3 series and a Mercedes C class, reception was not affected at all. That's from personal experience. I suppose every car model is different depending on the electronics, where the antenna is placed, etc.

Did Huper screw up your ES350 or was it another car? Toyota Priuses have reported lots of problems for some strange reason. I don't think just with Huper.
Old 12-14-07, 03:43 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Default ....

so here is pic of my baby lexi... got the 35 on the front windows and 5 on the rear and back. Also smoked the tail lights out...
Attached Thumbnails ES350 windows and tint-121407_14321.jpg  
Old 12-14-07, 03:44 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Default ...

heres another, still waiting on waht rims to get...
Attached Thumbnails ES350 windows and tint-121407_14331.jpg  
Old 12-14-07, 05:15 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Thanks for the pics. Really helpful in getting an idea.
Old 12-15-07, 08:00 AM
Druha
Pole Position

smokeyes350, ur car is coming along nice, gj