ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Manual Nav Hack Switch - Cleveland OH Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 06:13 AM
mdreuben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Nav Hack Switch - Cleveland OH Install

Is there anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area that might be able to install (or help me with) the manual nav switch? I just picked up an 07 ES350.

I would be willing to go a shop that has done it before or pay someone to do it.

Thanks!

Martin Reuben

www.trgstudios.com

Last edited by mdreuben; 04-08-07 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-08-07, 10:27 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Smile

Martin,

If you goal is to be able to enter addresses, POIs, and so forth into the NAV system when the car is moving here is an easier NON-invasive fix. Read below
JerFitz

HOW TO ENABLE THE GRAYED OUT NAV SYSTEM FEATURES WHEN DRIVING

We have a new 2007 ES350 and I really disliked it, at first, because the NAV system was “almost” unusable when driving. Who wants to stop so your wife can enter a new address into the NAV system while I am driving…yuk! This “non invasive” fix will allow using all the NAV system features when driving.

On the ES350 the NAV DVD is immediately below the NAV screen. You will see a plastic cover strip with LEXUS written on it in gold letters. You just lift/push this up and pull out very gently from the bottom of this plastic cover strip. It will come off easy. Use your fingernails so you don't scratch anything. Once it's off you will see the slot where the NAV DVD resides in its "super secret" location. The fifth paragraph from the end of this description tells you how to remove your current NAV DVD from your car.

With what I have already read on the Lexus Owners Forum I was able to fix the Version 6.1 NAV maps DVD that came with our 2007 ES350 by modifying the DVD only. No removal of the NAV head-unit itself and no wire cutting. If you’re interested here is a detailed description on how to do it.

I burned a dozen disks learning so here goes. Not all DVD media works. The DVD that I know works is: Memorex DVD+R DL (Double Layer) 8.5 Gbytes, 240 min, 2.4X. Do not use Dual Layer. Dual Layer is a DVD-R, don’t use it. I mention this because these Double Layer DVDs cost $1.80 plus each so no need to waste them.

Not all burners that can burn double layer DVDs work. For example my D: CD drive and my external Memorex Double Layer 16X DVD + - RAM 510L v1 would NOT burn this NAV DVD correctly. Finally, I bought a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K14RA for my laptop’s D drive because my wife’s laptop had that specific burner and it burned a workable double layer NAV DVD. This Pioneer model works. The only other burner that I know of that works is a NEC ND-3540A. If yours will not work using the above media you’ll have to buy a new burner or use a friend's double layer burner.

The NAV disk that came with my 2007 ES350 is a Generation 5 black colored DVD and it says U31 D on it. Next put this Version 6.1 disk in you your burner and drag and drop the all the folders and files into a new folder on your PCs fixed disk. It may take 40 plus minutes because you’re moving approximately 7.3 Gbytes. Make sure ALL the folders and ALL the files are copied to your PC, count ‘em. One of my failed disks was because one file was not moved over.

Next you must already have the file LOADING.KWI 46,956,000 bytes from the Version 5.1 NAV DVD. The Version 5.1 DVD is black and has U30 D on it. You’ll have to find a friend or someone that has a Version 5.1 DVD. If you’re going in for service you might ask for a loaner with a NAV system. Who knows, it may have a Version 5.1 DVD in it.

Here is when you will remove the Version 6.1 LOADING.KWI file (71,684,000 bytes) from the folder on your PCs fixed disk and replace it with the LOADING.KWI file (46,956,000 bytes) from the Version 5.1 DVD. Yeah, it’s a few fewer bytes but so far I have noticed NO problems or loss of features using the version 5.1 instead of the Version 6.1 loading file. On the other hand, if I encounter serious problems in the future I’ll just reinstall the original Version 6.1 disk that came with my 2007 ES350. So far, using the Version 5.1 loading file, we can enter addresses, POIs, and all those other NAV features that used to be grayed out when driving. It’s Great!!!

I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 to burn the DVD. Sorry, I do not know how to do this using NERO. Start Roxio 9 and choose DATA and then DATA DISK. Use the Roxio command ADD DATA to move the folders and the files from the folder on your PCs fixed disk to Roxio. I first added the folders and then the files. Double check they were all added. Check that you removed the V6.1 and in its place have the V 5.1 loading file (LOADING.KWI). Now choose OPTIONS (lower right corner) and use the following:

TYPE: Track at Once (TAO), Open
Mode: Mode 1
File System: ISO+Joliet (106 character file names)

Choose the BUTTON that says, “I only need to use disks for one recordng, etc.”

Checkmark, Verify data written to the disk after burning.

Click on OK to go back one screen.

Look at the lower left corner to make sure the DVD symbol says, “Estimate 7.3 plus or minus.” All this tells you is that the burner expects a double layer DVD.

Last but not least, try to notice when it starts whether it is burning at 2.4X which is the Memorex DVD media speed. It will be so don't worry..

Finally, click on the BURN symbol in the lower right corner and go get a coffee, lunch, and dinner because it takes an hour to burn and verify a 7.3 Gbyte double layer DVD.

Once you have the new DVD go to your Lexus and try it. To install it first disconnect the negative battery cable for 5-7 minutes. This is supposed to kill the NAV system memory, loading file or whatever. Actually I don’t have a clue what this does but I was told to do it this way and it worked for me. Reconnect the battery cable.

Then go into your Lexus and press the start button once so the car is on ACC (don’t start it). Press the MENU button to the right of the screen. Touch “Map DVD” in the upper right corner of the screen. Touch DVD in lower left corner of the screen so the current DVD will come out. Remove the current one and insert the newly burned DVD. On mine I had to push the DVD in a bit, very gently, so the changer would finish pulling it in.

BEWARE: you’ll probably get a screen that says to see your dealer and some Japanese characters below it but be patient. The loading will start within 20 to 40 seconds and your heart will again start beating at its normal rhythm. If it flat out says CAN’T READ DISK, the disk probably did not copy properly but wait another minute or so anyhow.

After it's loaded here is how to UNLOCK the navigation system features. The following can be done either when you’re parked or driving so you do not have to do this before starting to drive.

To enable all the NAV system functions that were grayed out because the car is moving do the following:

Press the MENU button to the right of screen.
Touch VOLUME at top center of screen.
Touch Upper Left Corner of screen.
Touch Lower Left Corner of screen.
Do it again…
Touch Upper Left Corner of screen.
Touch Lower Left Corner of screen.
A service menu will appear.
The bars are black but turn turquoise when you touch any bar.
Touch and hold the OVERRIDE bar until you hear a beep (about 6-8 seconds).
When you lift you finger from that bar it will turn BLUE, you’re done.
Touch the Upper Right Corner of the screen to close the service menu.
Then press the MAP (voice) button to go back to the NAV map.
You can now enter addresses, POIs, and so forth when the car is moving and you also have the latest Version 6.1 maps, POIs, and so forth.
If you turn the engine off you must do this again.
Old 04-10-07, 11:24 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdreuben
Is there anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area that might be able to install (or help me with) the manual nav switch? I just picked up an 07 ES350.
It's a very simple installation for anyone moderately competent with electrical connections. Any audio or auto electrical shop would be able to do it if you give them the directions.
Old 04-10-07, 11:33 AM
mdreuben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dreyfus
It's a very simple installation for anyone moderately competent with electrical connections. Any audio or auto electrical shop would be able to do it if you give them the directions.
My fear is screwing up the dashboard when removing the faceplates and equipment!
Old 04-11-07, 08:50 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdreuben
My fear is screwing up the dashboard when removing the faceplates and equipment!
Yes, that's the scary part. But I've done it a number of times and it's relatively safe and easy. Here are complete directions for getting to the back of your display unit. It used to be a sticky.

It should take you less than an hour, total. You should be able to take on this project if you're handy at all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234398