ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 07:50 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...

...Because they sure haven't in the ES350.

Anyone try decelerating to about 3mph to come up to a stop sign and then rolled thru and pushed down on the accelerator? You either get a jolt in the back or nothing for 1-3 seconds (followed by a jolt in the back).

Now for a real yuck try traveling at a steady 45-50mph and then flooring it. Nothing. That's right, absolutely NOTHING for about 3 seconds while the engine spools up the tranny. About three seconds after you wanted the power, you get it. Sure hope I never have to try this in an emergency when I don't have three seconds to wait!

For god's sake, Buicks know how to make a tranny and engine that appear to have some idea that the other exists.

Why can't Lexus???

(For the record, this same "disconnect" between tranny and engine was only too obvious in my '02 ES300 and (shock of shocks) was clearly present in my test drive of the LS460!!!)

Last edited by PsychDoc; 01-30-07 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 08:00 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on this one PsychDoc. I don't know what is up with Lexus and their trans designs. I think we all thought the new 6 speed would be a fantastic trans after the ES330\300 5 speed issues. I guess not. Not only is the new 6 speed not that great, but its got mechanical issues as well!
Old 01-30-07, 08:15 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the ES was designed with fuel economy in mind first.

Do you have a sport button or something for more agressive driving?
Old 01-30-07, 08:32 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been THE major problem with the ES Series for the past several years. I'm surprised there hasn't been a huge class-action lawsuit against Lexus because it is a significant SAFETY issue with these cars. If you are accessing a freeway from an access ramp or changing lanes in heavy traffic, and push down on the accelerator and NOTHING happens for a couple of seconds, it puts you in serious risk of an accident. I was hoping they would have the problem fixed in this year's new re-designed transmission. Sorry to hear that they haven't fixed it. I passed on the ES300 and again on the ES330 years ago because of this issue. For what it's worth, I don't notice this issue at all in my LS430....at least yet.
Old 01-30-07, 09:57 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone try decelerating to about 3mph to come up to a stop sign and then rolled thru and pushed down on the accelerator? You either get a jolt in the back or nothing for 1-3 seconds (followed by a jolt in the back).

Now for a real yuck try traveling at a steady 45-50mph and then flooring it. Nothing. That's right, absolutely NOTHING for about 3 seconds while the engine spools up the tranny. About three seconds after you wanted the power, you get it. Sure hope I never have to try this in an emergency when I don't have three seconds to wait!
Seems to me I've experienced similar behavior in my wife's '04 Sienna MiniVan with the 330/5-spd.

It was also a common complaint in the '02 Audi A6 4.2 powertrain and noticeable on a test drive, although it wasn't a 3 second delay.

Welcome to the Modern Era of Automatic Transmission Design. Almost makes me pine for the old TWO speed PowerGlide in my '62 Chevy Nova - my FIRST CAR!
Old 01-30-07, 11:30 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
This has been THE major problem with the ES Series for the past several years. I'm surprised there hasn't been a huge class-action lawsuit against Lexus because it is a significant SAFETY issue with these cars. If you are accessing a freeway from an access ramp or changing lanes in heavy traffic, and push down on the accelerator and NOTHING happens for a couple of seconds, it puts you in serious risk of an accident. I was hoping they would have the problem fixed in this year's new re-designed transmission. Sorry to hear that they haven't fixed it. I passed on the ES300 and again on the ES330 years ago because of this issue. For what it's worth, I don't notice this issue at all in my LS430....at least yet.
After buying my new 2003 ES300 I noticed this hesitation, and after 3 years of suffering through various ECM upgrades, I traded this car for an ES350, and I'm happy to says that this new 6 speed transmission does NOT have this problem anymore! I'm once again a "happy camper".
Old 01-30-07, 11:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it help if you throw the shifter into S mode? You can cap it at 5th gear, and shift in n out of D/S mode. Does this work?

I abused, i mean experimented with, the loaner 350, and agree that gear shifts aren't very responsive, and you have to really gun it to produce any change. It is a tad more responsive than the old 5 speed though.
Old 01-30-07, 11:42 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Both the rolling hesitation and the rapid accel version can be addressed by updated software, it just takes people pointing it out to alert them to it being needed however inconvenient it is in the meantime.

The other issues with this transmission and the length of time they have dragged on is far too long and does not convey confidence a solution is coming any time soon, and rjm is right about potential safety issues however remote the possibility, they are there.
Old 01-30-07, 11:49 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Both the rolling hesitation and the rapid accel version can be addressed by updated software, it just takes people pointing it out to alert them to it being needed however inconvenient it is in the meantime.

The other issues with this transmission and the length of time they have dragged on is far too long and does not convey confidence a solution is coming any time soon, and rjm is right about potential safety issues however remote the possibility, they are there.
Listen, if I die in an accident caused by this ridiculous hesitation I promise to post it here.

Then you guys have to promise to sue on behalf of my widow.

Or something like that!

;-)
Old 01-30-07, 11:52 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the time to look at this thread I started on May 20, 2003, you'll see that this transmission problem continued from the '02 thru '06 ES models. There are 641 responses so far.
Click>>http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...showtopic=3584
Old 01-30-07, 11:52 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Listen, if I die in an accident caused by this ridiculous hesitation I promise to post it here.

Then you guys have to promise to sue on behalf of my widow.

Or something like that!

;-)

But how will we know it's really you posting from beyond, what sign will we get so we know it's really you?

I know, you could post how much you love the keyless ignition.
Old 01-30-07, 12:03 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
But how will we know it's really you posting from beyond, what sign will we get so we know it's really you?

I know, you could post how much you love the keyless ignition.
I'll throw in a personal message from Sigmund Freud.

That should do it, huh?
Old 01-30-07, 12:09 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I'll throw in a personal message from Sigmund Freud.

That should do it, huh?

That would do it, and throw in a message from Joan Crawford while you are at it.

"I never laid a hand on those kids"
Old 01-30-07, 12:11 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amf1932
After buying my new 2003 ES300 I noticed this hesitation, and after 3 years of suffering through various ECM upgrades, I traded this car for an ES350, and I'm happy to says that this new 6 speed transmission does NOT have this problem anymore! I'm once again a "happy camper".
I agree with this 100% - my previous car was '05 Camry XLE V6 (shares the same 5 speed transmission as the previous ES) and it hesitated so much it drove me nuts. Even after a TSB "fix" the problem didn't get any better.

I feel my current ES is light years better in terms of transmisison response. I've not notice any hesitation in acceleration or flare with my car. Maybe I lucked out?
Old 01-30-07, 12:34 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I had no idea transmission issues have been going on for the length of time they have per AMF, others.

I missed them it seems as my last ES before this one was a 99 ES300 and the only time it did anything differently was when I moved and had changed driving conditions and they reflashed it and no problem.

I am getting more than my share in 07 model though, to make up for lost time it seems.

Quick Reply: Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...