Adjustable Interior Lighting??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 11:14 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjustable Interior Lighting??

According to the Lexus web site, the ES's interior lighting is as follows:

From exterior puddle lamps to the illuminated engine Start button, it's easy to navigate the interior of an ES. Overhead spotlamps are located above the front and rear seating areas, as well as in the driver and front-passenger footwell areas. The lighting can be adjusted from a cool blue tint to a warm yellow.

It appears that the default color is yellow (for the foot wells and center console). Has anyone been able to alter their colors? I wish to make mine blue but cannot seem to find instructions anywhere in the manual.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance everyone

BTW - I am loving this car, I can't help but stop and stare at it each time I go in the garage.
Old 11-19-06, 01:39 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
According to the Lexus web site, the ES's interior lighting is as follows:

From exterior puddle lamps to the illuminated engine Start button, it's easy to navigate the interior of an ES. Overhead spotlamps are located above the front and rear seating areas, as well as in the driver and front-passenger footwell areas. The lighting can be adjusted from a cool blue tint to a warm yellow.

It appears that the default color is yellow (for the foot wells and center console). Has anyone been able to alter their colors? I wish to make mine blue but cannot seem to find instructions anywhere in the manual.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance everyone

BTW - I am loving this car, I can't help but stop and stare at it each time I go in the garage.
I believe the Lexus web site is mistaken. This feature didn't make it into final production. You can change the Nav display to either blue or beige frames, but that's the extent of the color options on the ES350. As you said, the LEDs are amber.
Old 11-19-06, 03:50 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That feature is adjacent to the also listed barometer and altimeter features discussed before on here and they are located in boxes collecting dust at the assembly plant....<G>
Old 11-19-06, 06:20 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
That feature is adjacent to the also listed barometer and altimeter features discussed before on here and they are located in boxes collecting dust at the assembly plant....<G>
Being a pilot, I can tell you there's a very good reason why the barometer and altimeter were not included with the ES.

Common folk don't generally understand the relationship of air-pressure to determining altitude... For example, my home is precisely 647ft ASL. I can set an altimeter in the morning and watch it throughout the day and record reading from the exact same location that could vary 100ft or more in either direction... Combine this with the fact that cars are meant to transport people from A to B and in doing so the car/driver might experience multiple air-masses along the way.

There is no computer control that can anticipate changing atmospheres... 29.92 inches Hg could equate to any altitude just as 30.01 inches Hg could equate to the same altitude measured using 29.92... As a result, the addition of these features (as has been done on some snowmobiles) would become just another bithcing point for customers. Nobody is going to want to watch/set an altimeter constantly so it reads accurately and cars are most commonly found on terra-firma, so there really is no need.

Nice idea, but completely useless in a car.
Old 11-19-06, 06:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Nice idea, but completely useless in a car.
That and doesn't the NAV give altitude in relation to sea level anyway? And in a vehicle you are not going vertical to ground position reading otherwise unless something has gone terribly wrong and you are airborne.
Old 11-19-06, 07:04 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That and doesn't the NAV give altitude in relation to sea level anyway? And in a vehicle you are not going vertical to ground position reading otherwise unless something has gone terribly wrong and you are airborne.
GPS really does best at providing horizontal position, vertical position via only GPS (even with WAAS) isn't "reliably" accurate as timing differences between the receiver and the Sat can and do exist... Airplanes use a combination of systems, altutude is very important, especially to the guys flying IFR. Popping out of the clouds below minimums and flopping on the ground isn't a good thing.

GPS derived altitude is actually pretty good and if the car has one inluded with the Nav unit, a "steam gauge" is even more useless.
Old 11-19-06, 10:35 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

awwww

I think I would have really liked that feature. Oh well, can't have everything. Thanks for clarifying that you guys.
Old 11-19-06, 10:38 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
awwww

I think I would have really liked that feature. Oh well, can't have everything. Thanks for clarifying that you guys.

It may be an early omen, have those chickens at the ready just in case...LOL

Just curious would they need to be hens or roosters, and how many and do they have to be virgins...<G>
Old 11-19-06, 02:00 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

It may be an early omen, have those chickens at the ready just in case...LOL

Just curious would they need to be hens or roosters, and how many and do they have to be virgins...<G>
Hahahahaha LOL

I might throw a few goats in too for extra measure.