ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: What was the result after your trans TSIB fix?
It worked! My trans now behaves perfectly.
5.56%
I'm still getting slippage between various gears. I haven't had my trans replaced - yet.
50.00%
The TSIB failed - I now have a new trans installed.
22.22%
The TSIB failed - I now have a new ES350 as a result.
0%
My dealer skipped the TSIB and went straight for a trans replacement.
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission TSIB repair results

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 11:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpension
At this point, if I can drive my car without a shift flare, I'll consider myself lucky. The engine noise, while annoying, doesn't seem like it's doing any damage.

That's a good approach to have and if it is, the warranty will take care of it. Just sad these are issues not known before purchase that you end up having to live with.
Old 11-24-06, 02:39 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gpension
They installed the TSIB parts last week, after several VMs and conversations where they insisted that it would not make anything worse in my car. I picked the car up last Friday, and I have gone from experiencing flares once a day in the morning, to 3 or 4 times a day. They are also much more intense.

I discussed this with the service manager at my dealer, and he called me on Wednesday to let me know that Lexus advised him to replace the transmission.

We spoke today, and I let him know that I was very unhappy about the situation. I asked him what happens if the new transmission has the same problem, and he said Lexus will not discuss "what ifs". His opinion is that we would have needed to do this replacement eventually, based on the vin numer of my car. He also believes it has been "fixed" in the new transmissions, which appears not to be the case (and which I told him).

If I end up with a car that works as expected, I can live with it. I will speak with Lexus Corporate, but this whole thing has left me with a sour taste about Lexus and this dealer. I chose this car because I thought I was buying quality and customer service, and I feel like I received neither.

Whatever the resolution, this will certainly be my last Lexus.
gpension - yes, this sucks. My dealership was up front with me in stating that this might not work, and this turned out to be the case. The fact that the dealership insisted to you that this wouldn't make it worse is really bad. You then put your faith in what they say - as it's your only choice - and they turn out to be wrong. At this point the dealer loses even more credibility, as does Lexus in its ability to solve this issue.

The really important thing here is your satisfaction. You're not satisfied, you said so above. The dealer knows it. You paid $$$ for your Lexus vehicle so that you would have a great ownership experience. Having to drive a defective vehicle isn't a satisfying experience. Having a failed repair attempt and your repair experience isn't satisfying. Having to continue to visit the dealer while they attempt to repair isn't satisfying.

This is where I'm seeing the Lexus Experience break down - Customer Satisfaction. If you have no problems then your experience is probably a great one. If you do have problems, then IMO Lexus is pretty much on a par - or worse - than any other domestic manufacturer.

My last new Toyota vehicle was great (00 Avalon) and only had two problems - one rattle, one broken transmission at 800kms. Trans was replaced on first visit to dealer. They diagnosed it, gave me a loaner and called me when it was ready for collection with its new transmission. Simple, easy service.

My Lexus experience with these issues is a complete trainwreck by comparison.
Old 11-24-06, 04:38 PM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said. Our situations appear to be similar, although your dealer seems to be handling it better.

I told them I couldn't afford any more time going back and forth from the dealership, so they are meeting me at my office on Monday and dropping a loaner off.

I work with quality/efficiency programs, and we have used Toyota and their lean quality program as an example for years - "The Toyota Way" by Jeff Liker is required reading for anyone in our quality program. That's one of the reasons it has been so troubling to me to see how this has unfolded - how on earth could they continue to reccomend the TSIB to their service shops when they know it may not work or make things worse?
Old 11-25-06, 10:41 AM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Another 2007 ES350 with transmission problems.

Hey guys

I purchased a 2007 ES350 about 1 month ago. Add yet another person to the list of defective transmission owners. It started spiking about every other day at 200 miles. There is also a 2 second hesitation that occurs about 10% of the time when hitting the gas. The funny thing is I specifically asked the salesperson about the transmission issue on 3 separate occasions before purchasing the car. He guaranteed me that “it doesn’t exist on new builds”. Build date was 09/06. I took the car in last week and after waiting for about 2 hours they stated the TSIB fix needed to be employed. Rep swears this is the first car the dealership has seen with this problem (Rockville Centre, NY). He also stated if the TSIB does not work they will replace the transmission. If that doesn’t work Lexus will buy back the car. I’ll believe it when I see it. To add insult to injury when explaining the transmission issues I also stated that there was a small rumbling coming from the rear of the car, which didn’t matter much to me. They replaced the tail light, and in doing so must have slipped with a tool, because there is now a big gauge in the plastic housing around the light that I noticed the next day. Rep told me he would call me when the parts were in. I received an automated message last Wed. advising me to call back to schedule an appointment for the repair. Called them back later in the day and was told a loner car would not be available for 8 days. Didn’t set up an appointment and haven’t heard back from them since. I’ll give them a chance to resolve the problem fairly. So much for superior Lexus quality and buying experience. I’m already starting to regret the purchase. Done complaining for today.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission TSIB repair results-jcar.jpg  
Old 11-25-06, 10:54 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jonathann
Hey guys

I purchased a 2007 ES350 about 1 month ago. Add yet another person to the list of defective transmission owners. It started spiking about every other day at 200 miles. There is also a 2 second hesitation that occurs about 10% of the time when hitting the gas. The funny thing is I specifically asked the salesperson about the transmission issue on 3 separate occasions before purchasing the car. He guaranteed me that “it doesn’t exist on new builds”. Build date was 09/06. I took the car in last week and after waiting for about 2 hours they stated the TSIB fix needed to be employed. Rep swears this is the first car the dealership has seen with this problem (Rockville Centre, NY). He also stated if the TSIB does not work they will replace the transmission. If that doesn’t work Lexus will buy back the car. I’ll believe it when I see it. To add insult to injury when explaining the transmission issues I also stated that there was a small rumbling coming from the rear of the car, which didn’t matter much to me. They replaced the tail light, and in doing so must have slipped with a tool, because there is now a big gauge in the plastic housing around the light that I noticed the next day. Rep told me he would call me when the parts were in. I received an automated message last Wed. advising me to call back to schedule an appointment for the repair. Called them back later in the day and was told a loner car would not be available for 8 days. Didn’t set up an appointment and haven’t heard back from them since. I’ll give them a chance to resolve the problem fairly. So much for superior Lexus quality and buying experience. I’m already starting to regret the purchase. Done complaining for today.
Jonathann,

Sorry to know of the trans issue, mine is also a 09/06 build date and mine has slipped several times. Call me hopeful, but this being my second ES350 I'm hoping the darn thing is just learning though do feel sooner or later I am going to have to accept reality.

I'm curious about the back bumper on your car. It has what appear to be several punchout areas? One left edge of bumper, then another to right of that a foot or so and then another to right of that and looks like one more beyond that.

Mine does not have that/those punchouts and neither did my former one, what are those for?
Old 11-25-06, 11:06 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Jonathann,
Mine does not have that/those punchouts and neither did my former one, what are those for?
Parking Sensors... Going into 2007 and they still can't figure a way to disguise them dumb things? Maybe they don't because it's a "feature," so flaunt it?
Old 11-25-06, 11:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Parking Sensors... Going into 2007 and they still can't figure a way to disguise them dumb things? Maybe they don't because it's a "feature," so flaunt it?
Oh, thanks ons..I had no idea what those were, I don't have that option on mine or my former one so that must be why mine don't have those areas.
Old 11-25-06, 11:13 AM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Jonathann,

Sorry to know of the trans issue, mine is also a 09/06 build date and mine has slipped several times. Call me hopeful, but this being my second ES350 I'm hoping the darn thing is just learning though do feel sooner or later I am going to have to accept reality.

I'm curious about the back bumper on your car. It has what appear to be several punchout areas? One left edge of bumper, then another to right of that a foot or so and then another to right of that and looks like one more beyond that.

Hi Bob...Sounds like we're in a similar situation except you've already gone through it once. Sorry to hear it's happening again, but lets hope it's just learning.
I suppose I should know more about my own car, but I think those circular areas on both the rear and front bumpers are radars that are used for the Electronic Park Assist. When you get too close to another vehicle or object a beeping sound and display on the LCD screen alerts you of the distance. I'd love the car if it weren't for the transmission problems. Hope everything works out with your second car!
Old 11-25-06, 11:22 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Hi Bob...Sounds like we're in a similar situation except you've already gone through it once. Sorry to hear it's happening again, but lets hope it's just learning.
I suppose I should know more about my own car, but I think those circular areas on both the rear and front bumpers are radars that are used for the Electronic Park Assist. When you get too close to another vehicle or object a beeping sound and display on the LCD screen alerts you of the distance. I'd love the car if it weren't for the transmission problems. Hope everything works out with your second car!
Thanks Jonathann,

Yeah it seems they are parking items per ons and you both concluding the same.

If you can get tough with your dealer over the TSIB, do it, not one person has indicated it works and while allowing them to do it may mean later another trans that may also have issues and a buyback for you down the road, I'd fight them on the TSIB as doing it first means two or more trips for the same old problem.

If your car is absent the other not so fun issues like diesel engine noise and wind noise, demand they do a trans replacement instead and hope for the best it takes and behaves, then you'd have a keeper for sure, a problem free car, at least I hope for you it is when all is over.
Old 11-25-06, 11:23 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Jonathann - welcome to CL. Really sorry your first intro to us is problem related. What you are experiencing is pretty what most of the rest of us are with issues. In a few cases (twister as an example) the dealer bends over backwards to make your repair experience a painless and satisfactory one.

The rest of us are in this 'hold' cycle - waiting for loaners, waiting for parts, waiting for TSIBs, and doing the seemingly endless dealer call-visit-drop off-pickup-call-drop off-pickup cycle. I keep asking my dealer and Lexus why this is acceptable, and they just keep saying it is acceptable. Its inconvenient and a PIA. I didn't pay to be inconvenienced.

Lexus Sales = excellent
Lexus Dealership experience = excellent\very good. Its a nice place
Lexus Issues\Repairs =

TMSUSA - we know you're watching. What is going on here? Why is this acceptable and why should we have to put up with it?

I've been seriously thinking of jumping to a more known reliable Lexus model (RX) to rid myself of the ES issues as I've really had enough, but there's a problem. Now that I know how Lexus Canada deals with you when you do have a problem, why would I want to give them more money to get into another vehicle, then potentially have to deal with all this again if I need a repair that they can't easily fix? I don't ever want to go through this again with another vehicle - ever - and Lexus is demonstrating to me right now that I can't rely on them.
Old 11-25-06, 11:33 AM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jonathann,

Yeah it seems they are parking items per ons and you both concluding the same.

If you can get tough with your dealer over the TSIB, do it, not one person has indicated it works and while allowing them to do it may mean later another trans that may also have issues and a buyback for you down the road, I'd fight them on the TSIB as doing it first means two or more trips for the same old problem.

If your car is absent the other not so fun issues like diesel engine noise and wind noise, demand they do a trans replacement instead and hope for the best it takes and behaves, then you'd have a keeper for sure, a problem free car, at least I hope for you it is when all is over.

I haven't noticed any diesel-type knocking and I only notice a small amount of wind noise above 70mph, so the other issues don't really seem to be a problem...or are so slight that they aren't noticable. I can deal with a few minor rattles. If the dealer can't guarantee that the TSIB will resolve the flare and the hesitation (which we know it most likely wont) I will push for a transmission replacement. I'm not one for arguing and nagging but i'll do what has to be done to get the problems resolved. Before any work is done, I'll also try to get in writing, that the car has no dents/scratches other than the one that occured when I took it in for servicing.
Old 11-25-06, 11:39 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I haven't noticed any diesel-type knocking and I only notice a small amount of wind noise above 70mph, so the other issues don't really seem to be a problem...or are so slight that they aren't noticable. I can deal with a few minor rattles. If the dealer can't guarantee that the TSIB will resolve the flare and the hesitation (which we know it most likely wont) I will push for a transmission replacement. I'm not one for arguing and nagging but i'll do what has to be done to get the problems resolved. Before any work is done, I'll also try to get in writing, that the car has no dents/scratches other than the one that occured when I took it in for servicing.
Sounds like other than the transmission it is a great car, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the trans issue gets resolved. Having to argue or nag on a new car is on it's own a hassle, so I hope they just do the best thing the first time for you.
Old 11-25-06, 03:51 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Jonathann and gpension, welcome to CL. Sorry to hear about your problems, and I know how you feel - been there My first tranny was replaced without even going through TSIB. My dealer (Ray Catena) had no faith in TSIB to begin with. I know I'm repeating myself from numerous other posts, but just in case if you didn't have a chance to read through everything: tranny replacement has to be accompanied with a free extended 100k Platinum warranty. My second new tranny (October build) turned out to have the same flare problem and other shifting/jerking problems. As soon as that was confirmed, I was offered a full buy-back or a replacement with a brand new ES350. My dealer also offered me to get another Lexus car at a special discount. I decided not to take my chances with another ES350 (with my luck, it would of been another tranny problem). Also, with the way how my problem were handled at dealership and relationship I developed with sales and service management, I decided to go for another Lexus and just got '07 GS350 AWD. No regrets here Keep in mind, buy-back gives you back only money for the car, not taxes or any other fees. When you get another Lexus, you only pay taxes on difference between two cars.

The official procedure is to get TSIB, than tranny replacement, and than either a new ES350 or money back. Its up to your dealer if they want to skip TSIB. In my case they were not confident and my car showed a different error code during diagnostics from the one associated with TSIB. I know its very frustrating, but I wouldn't give up on Lexus. ES350 fiasco is a big screwed up which will get fixed eventually.

@ wanderer99, RX is great!!! I had it as a loaner as well, and had no complains about it. Very smooth ride (just a little stiffer than our '05 Highlander), and '07 RX350 model is tuned more to compete with BWM X3 and they Sport-Activity-Vehicle model.
Old 11-25-06, 09:02 PM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the responses and all the valuable information/tips, I really appreciate it. I'm glad I found this forum and I will keep all updated on exactly what transpires in reference to the transmission problems. Whether or not the problem is resolved, it will be nice to continue to post here anyway. Lots of great info!
Old 11-26-06, 05:48 PM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

My dealer did not offer the extended warranty, and when I asked about it, they said it was not something they would give me. I am calling Lexus Corporate tomorrow (they've been closed this weekend) to express my displeasure.

I understand that some of you have cars that work fine, but it is inexcusable to sell a $40k car with these kinds of issues that affect more than an isolated number of situations. I'm going for the transmission replacement, but I would prefer to get out and away from Lexus altogether.

I highly reccomed that prospective purchasers think carefully about how you would feel if these problems happened to you. It's not fun, and in my opinion, the things I like about the car (and there's plenty I like) do not offset the issue of dealing with a new transmission at 5,000 miles, and the stress of fighting with Lexus and the dealership to have them do what's right.

Quick Reply: Transmission TSIB repair results