ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

"Taste Of Lexus" Review...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 05:42 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The self-parking system might just replace voice commands as the new "Most pointless Lexus option that is purely designed for the 'wow' factor". From the reviews I've read, by the time you position the car and fiddle with the screen to tell it where you want to go, the guy behind you could have parked in the spot, eaten a meal and left before you made it in. IMO, the backup camera combined with the parking assist system (with sensors and beeps) is more than enough help to parallel park. While it is very "cool" concept, it does not seem the least bit practical to me and not worth the $.

I could picture some old broad in Manhattan trying to use the system on a one-way street, backing up traffic all the way across town.
Old 10-26-06, 07:16 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL!!! I do agree, the intention of self-parking is for a WoW factor (... and I'm not talking about whipping anything out on Wednesday ). Most of the people buying LS with this option (wasn't it close or over $80k?) not going to parallel park their cars in a busy street. I also read somewhere that M-B is just about to release a similar feature, but Lexus delivered it first to the market. I just hope it wasn't rushed it like our ES350 early builds (... or even my tranny problem with 06/06 build) LOL!!!

I'm still surprised none of the car manufactures are looking into some semi-transparent NAV system built into your windshield on the eye level. Back in the days of mid 90's, Nissan Altima had this feauture of displaying your speed on the windshield. Now, this would be cool!!!
Old 10-26-06, 08:18 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
LOL!!! I do agree, the intention of self-parking is for a WoW factor (... and I'm not talking about whipping anything out on Wednesday ). Most of the people buying LS with this option (wasn't it close or over $80k?) not going to parallel park their cars in a busy street. I also read somewhere that M-B is just about to release a similar feature, but Lexus delivered it first to the market. I just hope it wasn't rushed it like our ES350 early builds (... or even my tranny problem with 06/06 build) LOL!!!

I'm still surprised none of the car manufactures are looking into some semi-transparent NAV system built into your windshield on the eye level. Back in the days of mid 90's, Nissan Altima had this feauture of displaying your speed on the windshield. Now, this would be cool!!!
Yup. Pure "Gee whiz."

If Lexus put as much attention into their hideous throttle linkage, touchy "brake by wire" brakes and deplorable engine-tranny synergy (or lack thereof) they'd have some real drivers cars. As it is, I'm afraid it's all about quality of construction (that they do quite well) and bells and whistles.

We musn't ever forget that the first obligation of a car is to drive well. Lexus' notorious transmission hesitation and delay to engine input and their brakes that are either way too grabby or not grabby enough are disgraceful in cars of this otherwise excellent quality.
Old 10-26-06, 08:47 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PsychDoc, you're setting a bar very high for this so called obligation and quality. I'm sure this comes from an experience of test driving other luxury vehicle brands as well as other higher level luxury/performance (GS/LS) from within Lexus family. Personally, after driving all these bread'n'butter Toyota/Nissan/Honda and being driven in American cars, owning ES350 as my first luxury car trully feels like the best!!! Despite of tranny issue which is being fixed in my case, I absolutely love it and have no complains about it. At this level of my life (being at 32 and married w/baby), I think its a perfect car and at the same time leaves a lot of room for the NEXT step when I get a little older and will move on to the next level of luxury cars. This way, I will always be looking to upgrade my driving experience rather than stay at the same level or downgrade it