ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 vs Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 08:40 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 vs Toyota Camry

New models, I always get them mixed up on the road. It happened to me a few times already, while driving. I always admire a sharp looking lexus but when I get close it was a camry or vice versa. They appear to look like the same cars with different body kit.

Old 09-23-06, 09:03 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't done that though although I have heard of people mistaking these two. The grille makes a difference to me so I won't mistake the two. I'm also a detailed kinda guy so I can even tell where you bought an LE, SE, XLE or hybrid even if the differences are just wheels.
Old 09-23-06, 09:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mvallido
New models, I always get them mixed up on the road. It happened to me a few times already, while driving. I always admire a sharp looking lexus but when I get close it was a camry or vice versa. They appear to look like the same cars with different body kit.

Basically, they are the same with different exterior styling cues. The interior is also different with unique/upgraded materials etc., but the ES350 is based on the new Camry. There's a lot of platform sharing these days.

Last edited by LexBob2; 09-23-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-23-06, 11:42 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Ughhhh, yeah dude, that's true with 80% of the cars on the road LoL! Regardless of what vehicle it is, unless it's a custom build, at some level... It's the same as many other vehicles in an OEM's fleet. The new ES's look no more like a Camry than any ES ever has.
Old 09-23-06, 12:06 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beauty of the ES is in the details. And oh is this car so much more detailed than the Camry. I especially like the front and rear ends. Stellar!
Old 09-23-06, 12:18 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But I question the overall purpose of this thread? Why do people feel the need to continually bring up in new thread after new thread what we already know? If someone is so worried about how similiar cars are, then why don't they stick with the car they are most comfortable with ? For me, that's a Lexus. I've driven Toyota Camry's many, many times and while they drive great for the car segment that are intended for, I far prefer my two Lexus.

But it's time to give the Camry vs. ES discussions a rest.
Old 09-23-06, 12:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffofla
But I question the overall purpose of this thread? Why do people feel the need to continually bring up in new thread after new thread what we already know? If someone is so worried about how similiar cars are, then why don't they stick with the car they are most comfortable with ? For me, that's a Lexus. I've driven Toyota Camry's many, many times and while they drive great for the car segment that are intended for, I far prefer my two Lexus.

But it's time to give the Camry vs. ES discussions a rest.
I wonder if they have the same issues on VW/Audi, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, Mazda/Ford etc. forums. I never look at any, but am guessing they do.
Old 09-23-06, 12:40 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

LOL

Hmmm.
Old 09-23-06, 01:43 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

I guess it will take me a while to accept that an ES is a camry with a lot of upgrades or options. LOL! Unlike the other lexus models where you can tell that it is a LEXUS with or without the badge. In the dark or in the light...
Old 09-23-06, 01:46 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

I apologize if If I hurt any ES owner's feelings. No PUN intended.
Old 09-23-06, 06:04 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Ughhhh, yeah dude, that's true with 80% of the cars on the road LoL! Regardless of what vehicle it is, unless it's a custom build, at some level... It's the same as many other vehicles in an OEM's fleet. The new ES's look no more like a Camry than any ES ever has.
What my arguement is that a VW Passat doesnt look like an Audi A6, a honda accord doesnt look like an acura tl or a nissan maxima doesnt look like an infiniti g35. You cant mistake those cars on the road but it is so easy to mistake a camry for a ES and viceversa. To the OP, that you cant differenciate the 2 just means that you are not a car enthusiast. Like someone else said, if you were really a car nerd, you can see the difference right away. I have made the same mistake as you and guess what i am not a car enthusiast by any reach or imagination!
Old 09-23-06, 08:00 PM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

Here's a good link to compare the two:

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...&v=t102681&r=1

They're really dead ringers. Of course I can tell the difference on the road, but it always takes a second look--whereas the difference is obvious between, say, a VW Touareg, a Porsche Cayenne, and a Audi Q7 (all the same platform).

Clearly the extra money on the Lexus goes towards the interior.
Old 09-23-06, 08:12 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dshahs420
What my arguement is that a VW Passat doesnt look like an Audi A6, a honda accord doesnt look like an acura tl or a nissan maxima doesnt look like an infiniti g35. You cant mistake those cars on the road but it is so easy to mistake a camry for a ES and viceversa. To the OP, that you cant differenciate the 2 just means that you are not a car enthusiast. Like someone else said, if you were really a car nerd, you can see the difference right away. I have made the same mistake as you and guess what i am not a car enthusiast by any reach or imagination!
No, the Maxima doesn't look like the Infinity G35 because the G35 is the clone of the 350Z, NOT the Maxima. Take a look at the previous generations of Maxima and I30/I35 (now extinct), and they are identical with exception of some extra chrome here and there for the I.

Honda did good with their rebadging, Accord/TL/TSX really look apart. Albeit, the current Accord coupe looks like the previous Acura CL from the rear.

Toyota/Lexus share family resemblance - the Camry is one of the best cars in the world - in some countries, the Camry is sold with luxury amenities on par with the Lexus LS here in the states (i.e. HID, power reclining rear seats, rear entertainment system, etc). So even if the ES "looks" like a Camry, there's nothing wrong with having a car based on the best car in the world. I actually, kinda like its resemblance
Old 09-23-06, 09:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I've never mistaken a Camry for an ES but I can tell an M5 from a 525 from a mile away, I've always noticed the details

Maybe it's just me but the Yaris looks like a Camry, the front end just looks squished
Old 09-23-06, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Do you have 20/20 vision?
Acura TL and Accord are similar
Passat and A6 don't look too similar, good point
G35,Maxima and all Nissans/Infinitis look identical

Then some people will say they don't, some say they will. Some will say a Lamborghini looks like a Scion. Some will say A CR_V looks like a Range Rover.

Quick Reply: ES350 vs Toyota Camry