ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is it in my mind or do I have a tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 05:16 AM
mikecan01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it in my mind or do I have a tranny problem

Ok, so this is my first time starting a new thread here in this forum.

I have been reading this forum now for two months and I have owned my ES350 since June. As you all know there is so much talk about tranny issues that I'm starting to feel like I have one myself. Is it just in my mind from all this discussion or do I have one?

Here's what I'm experiencing. The problem is not in the acceleration, it's when I remove my foot from the gas to slow the vehicle down or when I start to hit the brakes. I feel the downshifting into the lower gears (3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st). The best way for me to explain it would be like when your driving a "stick" and you drop the car into a lower gear and without hitting the brake the transmission takes over to slow the vehicle down. Is this normal? In my opinion it's a bit of a rough feel for a luxury vehicle. While it's not something I was ready to see the dealer (just yet), I do notice it everytime I drive.

Does anyone else experience this or have any advice on what this may be.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
ES350 SGM Prem+
Old 08-31-06, 05:43 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Acura I owned previously, the tranny was supposed to do that when braking on a decline to help stop the car. I have only had my ES less than 1 week and have not noticed what you are discribing. I would have your service dept take it for a spin.
Old 08-31-06, 06:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

downshifting to slow the car down is called engine braking. Doesnt sound like a problem, car has to downshift further the slower you get or it might stall the car like a manual can stall (too high of a gear for too low of a speed) Also it might need to be in a lower gear so if traffic starts moving again you can get moving better
Old 08-31-06, 06:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've noticed in our ES, when coasting in the 20-30 mph range, the engine holds at a steady 1,000 rpm's. It makes for smoother acceleration, since the rpm's match up with the gear the tranmission goes into when you speed up. Everything is electronically controlled these days.

I gotta say that I think about, and feel, what this tranny is doing, more than I have in any of my previous cars. I had an '03 Avalon XLS with the "old" 4 speed automatic and it was flawless. It was always in the right gear for the situation, shifts were seamless and it got the most out of the 210 hp engine with decent mpg (27-28 highway).
Old 08-31-06, 06:51 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecan01

Here's what I'm experiencing. The problem is not in the acceleration, it's when I remove my foot from the gas to slow the vehicle down or when I start to hit the brakes. I feel the downshifting into the lower gears (3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st). The best way for me to explain it would be like when your driving a "stick" and you drop the car into a lower gear and without hitting the brake the transmission takes over to slow the vehicle down. Is this normal? In my opinion it's a bit of a rough feel for a luxury vehicle. While it's not something I was ready to see the dealer (just yet), I do notice it everytime I drive.

Does anyone else experience this or have any advice on what this may be.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
ES350 SGM Prem+
Mike,
My car does the same thing and gives me the sensation I am fighting against engine RPM spikes when trying to break the car to a stop, if you watch it while trying to stop the car from about 35mph, you'll see it spike 400 or more RPM and it might like mine feel like it is indeed against the breaking you are trying to achieve.
I had the feeling about the brakes before I eventually noticed the RMP were spiking 400 or so when I was breaking, so then knew I wasn't imagining it that something was trying to propell the car forward against me trying to break it because I could see it on tach happening.
After I noticed this happening is when my car started revving higher and spiking the RPM in upshifting 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 gear as though the gears were slipping momentarily. With only an occasional odd spike/slip every now and then prior with transmission.
Old 08-31-06, 09:34 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I gotta say that I think about, and feel, what this tranny is doing, more than I have in any of my previous cars.
Isn't that the truth! Thanks to this forum I am totally fearful of my tranny. I feel like a paranoid druggie!

Seriously though, this seems to be normal. We had this exact discussion in a thread a while ago and that was the consensus.
Old 08-31-06, 09:56 AM
mikecan01
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, it's just surprising to me that one would have to constantly feel the changing of gears and/or "engine brake" for a brand that prides themselves on luxury and quality.

As I said before, it's not a horrible feeling but the transmission is always reminding me it's working. I've never experienced this on any other car I have owned.

I have approx 2000 miles on the car now and I think I am going to stop by the dealer to test drive another 350 on the lot to see if I notice any difference.

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-31-06, 09:56 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. The vast majority of ES 350 owners have no issues whatsoever with their cars, and don't even know about the tranny issues. What is interesting too, is that you are finding people who do experience the problems Googling for transmission problems with the ES and then finding Club Lexus and realizing they are not alone.

I think it all boils down to first year production issues that are clearly evident on many vehicles. Should we bought the first year of the ES 350? Probably not. But I will say I bought the 2002 ES 300 (which I still have) and didn't have as many first year issues as I have for my 350. I am getting the Voice Recognition issue resolved tomorrow. But then amount of technology has vastly increased on the new ES model versus the old one.

Either way, we have to be methodical about our approach to our vehicles. If there is really a problem, then we need to resolve it. But getting caught up in the mass hysteria of the minority doesn't mean we too have the same problem they do.
Old 08-31-06, 10:13 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

engine braking is normal for the ES350. I am experiencing same thing. I also notice some shift hesitation today from 1st to 2nd when it was cold in the morning. Could be injector hiccup? I dunno....drove fine a minute later. Im not so concerned as long as im under warranty and the problem isnt "dangerous" at the moment. I'm driving to san diego in 3 weeks so this car will be put to the test.
Old 08-31-06, 05:15 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jeffofla
I agree. The vast majority of ES 350 owners have no issues whatsoever with their cars, and don't even know about the tranny issues. What is interesting too, is that you are finding people who do experience the problems Googling for transmission problems with the ES and then finding Club Lexus and realizing they are not alone.

I think it all boils down to first year production issues that are clearly evident on many vehicles. Should we bought the first year of the ES 350? Probably not. But I will say I bought the 2002 ES 300 (which I still have) and didn't have as many first year issues as I have for my 350. I am getting the Voice Recognition issue resolved tomorrow. But then amount of technology has vastly increased on the new ES model versus the old one.

Either way, we have to be methodical about our approach to our vehicles. If there is really a problem, then we need to resolve it. But getting caught up in the mass hysteria of the minority doesn't mean we too have the same problem they do.

May I ask what you are having done with your voice recognition? Mine does not understand me at all.
Old 08-31-06, 06:16 PM
to-tall
Driver School Candidate

Try talking in a hi pitched voice. Most females would do better! My ES330 works only with the voice at the higher pitch.
Old 08-31-06, 06:56 PM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by to-tall
Try talking in a hi pitched voice. Most females would do better! My ES330 works only with the voice at the higher pitch.
Since my nav was replaced, it understands my own 63 year old ex-smoker's baritone just fine.
Old 08-31-06, 08:45 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
May I ask what you are having done with your voice recognition? Mine does not understand me at all.
Try to speak in a normal, natural, but firm speaking voice, not one where you are being slow and meticulous. It doesn't like speech broken up.

But you might also read this thread:

Climate Control VR Fixed

See my post in there regarding a current TSIB for owners that fall below a certain VIN #. You could have a defective unit like some of us have.
Old 09-04-06, 10:04 PM
CxGal
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission issues

The transmission on my ES350 went out at 1650 miles after experiencing both the downshift drop and the RPM spikes. In retrospect, I attributed some early transmission roughness to "new car owner's paranoia," too but my intuition proved correct. I just returned from a 750 mile road trip in my replacement car & the transmission was silky smooth. We're at 1500 miles so I'm holding my breath!