ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Climate control VR fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 10:40 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeffofla, i dont understand about the VIN# of the vehicles affected. mine has JTHBJ46G2xxxxxxxx. I take it that mine is not affected by the service buletins??
Old 08-07-06, 08:18 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cocopops
jeffofla, i dont understand about the VIN# of the vehicles affected. mine has JTHBJ46G2xxxxxxxx. I take it that mine is not affected by the service buletins??
Can't tell.

You didn't leave enough charcters in your VIN # visible. Take a look at the original number.... . JTHBJ46G#72022076. Let's say your number is JTHBJ46G#72021003... you'd be affected, most likely, because your number falls below the number just mentioned.

For some, this problem may not bother them. You'll definitely know if you are having this problem if you get in the car and tell the system "69 degrees" and it does anything other than change the climate control to 69 degrees. None of the commands for the climate control work for vehicles with this issue.

For a list of voice commands (besides those for climate control), please refer to the chart at the following URL: http://lexuses350.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-06, 01:52 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether the VR works or not for the air conditioner, I still feel its so much easier to just push a button, either on the NAV screen or the control panel to make these adjustments. This also holds true for the other functions like Bluetooth, Radio or NAV adjustments.
I would hate for a dealer to pull out my factory installed system to change it, and chance having rattles and other problems. All this stuff is really not that important to me, unless you just want to impress your friends with all these toys.
Old 08-07-06, 03:09 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amf1932
Whether the VR works or not for the air conditioner, I still feel its so much easier to just push a button, either on the NAV screen or the control panel to make these adjustments. This also holds true for the other functions like Bluetooth, Radio or NAV adjustments.
I would hate for a dealer to pull out my factory installed system to change it, and chance having rattles and other problems. All this stuff is really not that important to me, unless you just want to impress your friends with all these toys.
Great. Push a button, Alan. We already know your point. But if you are Lexus is going to offer a car with the features. They should work. I purposely chose the Lexus based on the options I purchased. I want them to work. Why should some work and some not?

I guarantee you I will use the climate vr when it works. I'm using about 25-30 commands actively right now. And no one else drives with me. Actually, all my friends have BETTER cars. I actually use more components that you can from the steering wheel, because it ultimately are much safer than fiddling with something on the dash that I can't necessarily change by feel like I can with the steering controls. And finally, I'm not going to spend upwards of $50,000 with all the options and then have only some of them work. You are more than welcome to, however.

Last edited by jeffofla; 08-07-06 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 03:17 PM
tnfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Great. Push a button, Allan. We already know your point. But if you are Lexus is going to offer a car with the features. They should work. I purposely chose the Lexus based on the options I purchased. I want them to work. Why should some work and some not. I guarantee you I will use the climate vr when it works. I'm using about 25-30 commands actively right now. And no one else drives with me. Actually, all my friends have BETTER cars. But I'm not going to spend upwards of $50,000 with all the options and then not have some of them work. Your more than welcome to, however.
I agree with Jeff. The VR was one of the options I wanted. And there are times when driving that it is safer to use the VR than using the buttons. A matter of personal choice I guess. But if they are going to offer it then I would like for it to work correctly. The VR is one of the few disappointing things I have found with the car.
Old 08-08-06, 07:30 PM
jtrain73
Driver School Candidate

My ES350 is after the VIN listed and does indeed seem to work correctly with the voice controls for "cooler", "warmer" and "XX degrees".

Is there a compreshensive list of voice commands printed out somewhere?

Didn't see in the manual - though it did reference the on-board help of the system.
Old 08-08-06, 09:19 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrain73
My ES350 is after the VIN listed and does indeed seem to work correctly with the voice controls for "cooler", "warmer" and "XX degrees".

Is there a compreshensive list of voice commands printed out somewhere?

Didn't see in the manual - though it did reference the on-board help of the system.
Please see post #17 above. Most of the commands are in the quickstart quide. For a list of voice commands (besides those for climate control), please refer to the chart at the following URL: http://lexuses350.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-06, 09:22 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I already know the answer to this but....

Does changing out the defective nav unit mean I'll have to reinput all my stored addresses? What about my phone book?

I think the answer is "duh", but I'm hoping against hope I won't have to reinput all this data, especially my phone book.
Old 08-08-06, 10:17 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I think I already know the answer to this but....

Does changing out the defective nav unit mean I'll have to reinput all my stored addresses? What about my phone book?

I think the answer is "duh", but I'm hoping against hope I won't have to reinput all this data, especially my phone book.

I think the odds are significantly in favor of this, but for me, I'm willing to reinput the numbers, etc. just to make the unit fully functional.
Old 08-09-06, 05:03 AM
jtrain73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Please see post #17 above. Most of the commands are in the quickstart quide. For a list of voice commands (besides those for climate control), please refer to the chart at the following URL: http://lexuses350.blogspot.com/
Ah thanks, missed the quick guide, I skipped that for the full manual.
Old 08-09-06, 12:02 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stole the car away from the wife today to see how many items I need to report as we schedule our first service. I'm glad this post was here because we have a VIN below the number listed above and sure enough our VR for climate controls does not work either.

For those that have had the unit replaced, does it impact the phonebook or anyother functions when the new unit is installed?
Old 08-09-06, 12:14 PM
ckon
Rookie

All I had to re-enter were the addresses in the nav unit. All other info was kept, though I didn't have anything in the phone book so I can't swear that it would have been safe.
Old 08-21-06, 08:37 AM
Alien
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV fix for VR problems

Has anyone actually had their NAV unit replaced? My service rep is telling me that when he spoke with Lexus they said the fix wasn't available yet. I would like to provide him with some dealerships and dates that some NAVs were installed. Thanks for your help, Alien.
Old 08-21-06, 09:13 AM
ckon
Rookie

Yes, mine's working pretty good.

I looked for the work order for my repair to find a part number for you, but I don't have it - they never gave me one. If I can find out the part number I'll let you know.
Old 08-21-06, 09:19 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=3

Quick Reply: Climate control VR fixed!