ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Craftsmanship

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 02:03 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsmanship

This car is quiet, fast and powerful. It is a dream car in my book. However, while taking pictures yesterday, I found a little imperfection that I'm not sure if its a Quality control problem or if it's so trivial no one really cares. See attached picture. Where the arrow points is slightly raised. Not obvious from this angle, but you can see it from the side. The opposite (right front)headlight area is flush flat perfect, level with hood, so there is a difference. I'm thinking this could be just a quality issue....

I worry that maybe the fender panel is not installed perfectly straight or that the tip (arrow area) just bends slightly up. I think this is about 1/8" elevated, which most people won't notice, but unfortunately I see it.

Is this worth bringing up to the dealership? My old Mazda has something like this on both sides so maybe I shouldn't expect PERFECTION from Lexus either?
Attached Thumbnails Craftsmanship-panel.jpg  
Old 07-12-06, 02:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Is this worth bringing up to the dealership?
I don't think so. But do bring it up by your next service (5k?) check up. It isn't emergent, so I wouldn't bring it to the dealership immediately...
Old 07-12-06, 02:39 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading your post about this mis-alignment, I ran right out to to see if my car had the same problem, but I'm happy to say that the alignment was absolutely perfect on both sides. In fact, I'm a nut when it comes to these things, and before I bought this car I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it passed my tests 100%.
Actually, there should be NO problem in lining up your hood since there are adjustable rubber bumpers for just that purpose.

Alan
Old 07-12-06, 02:53 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default you mean i can do it myself?

You mean i dont have to take it to dealer and can fix it myself? Please do share the method. I'd like to get it perfect like yours. So is the hood too low or is the fender panel too high? I hope this isnt hard to fix.
Old 07-12-06, 03:02 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

amf1932 is correct. I actually have the same issue on my car. One side is slightly higher on the hood than the other. My service tech said he could easily adjust that. I told him about it when I was in for warranty service on the DVD player (no sound). So it is definitely somthing that can be easily rectified. I imagine it's pretty common. What I have realized that this is the 2nd Lexus I have owned and I am much, much more picky on this one since I have already experienced a Lexus and know the standards.
Old 07-12-06, 03:15 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Is this worth bringing up to the dealership? My old Mazda has something like this on both sides so maybe I shouldn't expect PERFECTION from Lexus either?
If it bothers you, then definitely have the dealership check out the issue. Probably an easy fix.
Old 07-12-06, 03:23 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Should be no sweat getting it right.

When taking delivery of a new '93 Lincoln Mark VIII, I noticed the same thing and I pointed it out to my FEMALE salesperson during delivery.

SHE popped the hood, turned the bumper in the appropriate direction, dropped the hood and it was lined up perfectly.

Oh, and sorry for the "non-Lexus" reference.
Old 07-12-06, 04:10 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default ok made appointment

i might as well get it fixed since dealership is on my way to work, and they willing to give me loaner (1/4 tank of gas on them. ) Made appointment for monday morning. I must say Lexus sure provides good service. They are giving me free carwash for LIFE which I'm glad.
Old 07-12-06, 04:53 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you decided to have the dealer make this adjustment, because now the engine compartment has this black plastic cover which makes things more difficult to work on.

Example if you were going to do this job yourself:
1 - Remove 7 clips that fastens the black plastic.
2 - There are 4 bumper that can be adjusted up or down. These have to be loosened with an open end wrench and turned in the proper direction a bit at a time, then close the hood to see if the adjustment brings the hood down to the proper position. You have to keep testing your adjustment until you get it lined up properly.
3 - Tighten the adjuster(s).
4 - Replace the black plastic covering with the 7 clips.

Finally.....Let Lexus do it.........it's a PITA LOL