ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

argh...my heart is broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 02:43 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default argh...my heart is broken

My heart has broken into pieces. So, came back from a local mall to get some stuffs and I saw 2 dings on my front bumper. And this happened 2 days before I am going to install a clear bra (have set up an appointment for Friday). Wanted to get a clear bra installed sooner, but a busy schedule push the date behind. Now, I wonder if something can be done to 'fix' those 2 dings. Hope this will serve as a reminder to others: install a clear bra at the soonest possible time.

Old 07-06-06, 05:33 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about the latest incident with your ES. Sounds to me like someone kissed your bumper when parking in or out of a spot. This had happened to me one too many times when parallel parking in NYC
Old 07-06-06, 06:11 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

This is why we park farrrrr away from everybody at malls. Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-06-06, 06:20 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cocopops
My heart has broken into pieces. So, came back from a local mall to get some stuffs and I saw 2 dings on my front bumper. And this happened 2 days before I am going to install a clear bra (have set up an appointment for Friday). Wanted to get a clear bra installed sooner, but a busy schedule push the date behind. Now, I wonder if something can be done to 'fix' those 2 dings. Hope this will serve as a reminder to others: install a clear bra at the soonest possible time.

How does clear bra would help you in this situation? I thought the advantage of a clear bra is to keep bugs away or incoming stone chips, and I was under impression that its not an armor or some soft cushion to prevent any bumps like that. Wouldn't you still get in ding/indent on your bumper covered by clear bra if someone tap your car?
Old 07-06-06, 06:38 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your dings, but generally they can be repaired very easily.
Now a little story about clear bra's. When I purchased my previous car, a 2003 ES300, the Lexus dealer talked me into putting on a clear 3M bra on both the front & rear bumpers to afford more protection of these areas. I will tell you it was the worst thing I could have done! Here's why. It might have prevented small rocks from chipping the paint, but when someone hit my bumper with anything sharp, like a license plate bolt or a sharp object, it would tear into the clear bra material and there was NO way of repairing this, short of removing the complete material and replacing it. So now I had a clear bra with many nicks, rather then having these areas repainted, which would have been much easier. I just saw my former car at the dealer and I noticed that they removed this 3M stuff and repainted the scuffed areas.....it looked beautiful.
Don't feel too bad that you didn't install the clear bra yet, because now the the dinged area of your car can easily be repainted. After my former experiences with this clear bra stuff, it was a no brainer for me to tell my Lexus dealer.....no thank you!

Alan
Old 07-06-06, 07:05 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

I can fully understand that a clear bra wont afford me 100% protection from anything. Just want to protect my investment within a reasonable budget (which clear bra is as it would cost less than $500). Now, Alan, do you install a clear bra on that ES350 of yours? I am just wondering whats the % of ES350 owners who install/don't install the clear bra. Would discuss with the installer on what best method to repair the dings.
Old 07-06-06, 07:09 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Do you guys have "Dent Wizard" out there? They do really good work at reasonable rates.
Old 07-06-06, 07:26 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I can fully understand that a clear bra wont afford me 100% protection from anything. Just want to protect my investment within a reasonable budget (which clear bra is as it would cost less than $500). Now, Alan, do you install a clear bra on that ES350 of yours? I am just wondering whats the % of ES350 owners who install/don't install the clear bra. Would discuss with the installer on what best method to repair the dings.
No.....I definitely did not put this bra stuff on my ES350! Like I said, after my sad experiences....why would I do it? In fact the dealer told me they had too many bad experiences with these products, and they didn't advise using it. I also thought that this would have afforded me some degree of protection, but it didn't. I paid the dealer close to $750 to do this job on my '03 ES. Where was the protection when the car was hit by another drivers license plate bolt, and put a gouge into this plastic bra? It looked terrible. By the way......they have to use a heat gun to remove this film.....they then have to repaint the area......and then replace it with new film........so where's the saving? Your protection with this product will be nowhere near 100%.......maybe 20%.
Believe me.......I'm talking from this negative experience I had for the 3 years I owned this car.
I could have repaired these nicks with touch up paint better. As you can hear......I hated this film.

Alan
Old 07-06-06, 08:23 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

If you are going to drive or park you car anywhere, particulary in urban areas, things are going to happen to it. This is one of the many reasons that I lease- a nice, shiny new car every three years!
Old 07-06-06, 08:30 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amf1932
No.....I definitely did not put this bra stuff on my ES350! Like I said, after my sad experiences....why would I do it? In fact the dealer told me they had too many bad experiences with these products, and they didn't advise using it. I also thought that this would have afforded me some degree of protection, but it didn't. I paid the dealer close to $750 to do this job on my '03 ES. Where was the protection when the car was hit by another drivers license plate bolt, and put a gouge into this plastic bra? It looked terrible. By the way......they have to use a heat gun to remove this film.....they then have to repaint the area......and then replace it with new film........so where's the saving? Your protection with this product will be nowhere near 100%.......maybe 20%.
Believe me.......I'm talking from this negative experience I had for the 3 years I owned this car.
I could have repaired these nicks with touch up paint better. As you can hear......I hated this film.

Alan
I see. Well, each one of us have different experiences and I appreciate any inputs from all of u guys (n gals as well ). I find myself a very risk-averse person and I can accept spending money to reduce risk. Heh.. I probably cut down on those starbucks coffees and unnecessary expenditures for a while .
Old 07-06-06, 08:49 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Well, at this point I'd like to wish you the best of luck.....but don't say I didn't warn you.

Please keep us informed how you like it......plus's & minus's.

Alan
Old 07-06-06, 09:36 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see. Well, each one of us have different experiences and I appreciate any inputs from all of u guys (n gals as well ). I find myself a very risk-averse person and I can accept spending money to reduce risk. Heh.. I probably cut down on those starbucks coffees and unnecessary expenditures for a while .
If you have a dark color ES, a clear bra is a must. Rock chips and dings are so apparent on darker colors.
Old 07-06-06, 10:11 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
If you have a dark color ES, a clear bra is a must. Rock chips and dings are so apparent on darker colors.
I see. Yeah. I have a Smoky Granite which is considered the darker color.
Old 07-06-06, 11:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Sorry to hear that, especially for such a nice new car Good luck to your repairs . . .
Old 07-06-06, 11:39 AM
Henine
Driver School Candidate

I'm so sorry to hear about the dings, but on balance we're fortunate to drive such a wonderful car and we're hopefully in good health. I hope the dings are repaired to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply: argh...my heart is broken