ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Randomly Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 10:04 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Randomly Won't Start

I have a wierd problem on my 99 ES and the worst problem is that it happens randomly so it is kind of hard to get fixed since we don't know what the problem is until it happens.

Lately the car sometimes doesn't start. It just turns over and over making a cranking noise like it is out of gas. After a few attempts, then it just click like the battery is dead. If I keep trying it, eventually it will just start. Has done this about 1/2 a dozen times now but always ends up starting.

Well that was my first thought. So I took the battery out and took it to the auto shop to have them put it on a test. Sure enough the battery was reading weak. I thought it was probally still ok to crank the car but went ahead and bought a new one since this one was 4 years old.

Put the battery in and it fired right up. It ran fine for about 4 months and today I get in it and it does the same thing. Just keeps turning over like it is out of gas. All lights work, radio, ac so the battery has to be good?? About the 4th time trying it, the car started right up??

Is it the starter or some fuel delivery problem like the injectors? Lexus claims the fuel filter and injectors NEVER need cleaning. I asked my dealer about cleaning them and he said that Lexus HQ said if the dealer ever came accross an injector and filter that was dirty to send it to them and in 7 years he has only had to send 1??

Sorry for the long post but I am taking the car out of state and don't won't it die at Kwiki Mart in the middle of Bucksnort.
Old 08-18-03, 05:29 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default fuel injector cleaning

You could try giving the ES some fuel injector cleaning treatment since the injectors can get pretty dirty and clogged in time. I suggest getting a bottle of Chevron Techron w/ Concentrate fuel treatment. You can find that at any auto parts store for $5-$6. It's generally good preventive maintenance to provide once in a while.
Old 08-18-03, 10:35 AM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the same problem too .. and mine is a 97 model...
and i did change out the battery too.. but this problem just came agine like u said..4 months..

yes.. i did buy those injector cleaner..and use it.. but it didnt help much...
i think there is a guy in Lexusownerclub... he had the exactly same problem as we got here in his ES...
but i hear none of this problem happen to the camry...thats weird....

i hope they could do some recall on this problem.. since this problem seen so popular..
Old 08-18-03, 12:40 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

What about starter motor/contacts, or fuel filter?
Old 08-22-03, 06:39 AM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any one got answer for this ?
Old 08-23-03, 11:52 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this...

Next time it does not start look at the security light. If you have an immobilzer problem the ecu will shut down the injectors. When the key is placed in the ignition it immediatly reads the code, if the correct code the car will start. when that happens the security light goes out. If it does not, the car won't start and the light continues to flash. When the car finally started had you just removed the key and reinserted it? Do you have a Mobil Speed Pass hanging on the key chain? The imoblizer can pick it up as an improper code. What about another key on the key ring with an immobilzer chip? All these possiblities are things I've seen happen before.

Let us know!

DD
Old 08-23-03, 03:44 PM
djmb
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same problem. Most times the car starts normally. Then all of a sudden, especially when parked in the sun, the car has trouble starting or stalls. I have noticed that when the car has trouble starting the idle is much lower than when it starts normally.
Old 09-04-03, 02:20 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Default stranded

Well it finally died and now won't start at all. Lexus said it is the air intake valve part number (22270-20050) but he doesn't have one in stock. Now my wife is stranded in Tennesse and if he can't get it first thing in the morning she will be stuck until Monday. Does anybody know if Toyota makes this part and if so what the toyota part number is?

The lexus part number is 22270-20050. If you don't know maybe there is a website somewhere that will give me the equivalant Toyota part number. Givin they are interchangeable?
Old 09-04-03, 05:19 PM
djmb
Driver School Candidate

My latest twist on the problem is that the car will start normally when parked downhill or flat but not when parked uphill or on an upward slant...even relatively slight. The car tries to start and then fails to start as the idle is too low.

Last edited by djmb; 09-04-03 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 05:32 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well, it is a Toyota part but I have called 3 states and nobody has one. It is the idler assembly valve. How this thing can work sometimes and sometimes not is beyond me.

And another thing since it is an emmissions part shouldn't the Check Engine light have come on when it is out???

I am thinking now that the problem may even be mis-diagnoised.

This is really a pain. I bought this car because it is suppose to be the most reliable car with great customer service. And now the thing is broke down out of state and the service dept. doesn't even have the part in stock. And the guy waited all day before checking it out and it was to late to order the part to have in by tommorow. The car sat there from 9am untill 4pm before he looked at it. If he had looked at it at 9am when it got there he could have got the part on they truck in time.

Or maybe that is how they treat all "out of towners"?
Old 10-06-03, 04:07 PM
sincere
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I have had similar problems that just began on my 95 es300. At first, it wouldnt turn over on the first turn, and then it wouldnt start at all. I have a battery that is less than a year old. I took it to any auto parts store to have the battery and alternator checked and the alternator was reading low. I had the alternator replaced and the car started fine for about 3 days, but the problem re-occurred. I took it back to get a re=check on the battery and alternator and they were reading fine. The starter was even reading fine. I read similar posts on this problem and some have been resolved by replacing the starter. I dont know if this will fix the problem in your case or mine, but other people are having the same problem with the es300. I was told that it could also be in the ignition switch in my case, but I dont want to spend unnecessary money on a part that doesnt fix my problem. You would think Lexus would have the answer since it is a ongoing problem with the es. Let me know what fixes you find
Old 10-06-03, 04:11 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

The fix was the idler control assembler. Or Air Intake control valve. It cost about $350 to fix.

It is the part that idles the car. It seems to be a common problem. If you go to get it fixed make sure you order the part in advance because I couldn't find the peice in a 3 state area.

You are able to drive the car but you will need to keep the RPMs above 1500 when cranking and during idle by keeping your foot on the gas, otherwise it will not stay cranked or crank at all.

There is no other function for the piece so it is okay to drive if you get in a jam.
Old 12-23-03, 01:00 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately I seem to be a victim of this "starting" problem now

On an infrequent basis I've had a tough time getting to start my '01 ES (w/ 80K+ miles). Sometimes it would start up fine, and sometimes it usually takes 2 turns on the key to get the engine to turn over. On those certain times where the car wouldn't start properly, the engine is already warm from a previous drive.

Well today at lunchtime, as I was leaving to go back to work, my car wouldn't start correctly, although it was cranking. I tried it again and a few more times, and the engine wouldn't turn over, and the RPM just stayed at 0. I checked the battery and connections, oil, gas cap, air filter, and under the car for any leaks, and everything checked out OK. I was at a loss for a moment, having no idea what could be the problem (even called roadside assistance to get a tow guy on the way)

Then after the twentysomething attempt to start the car, it FINALLY started up OK! The RPMs jumped up to normal range, and I was on my way (I didn't wait for the tow guy). It drove OK with no rumbles in the engine or anything offhand.

My gut feeling is that since the engine just kept cranking and cranking but does not spark up with idle power, the problem is not an electrical problem (i.e. nothing wrong with the battery or the starter). The problem most likely is one (or more) of the following items:

1. Fuel pump ECU
2. Air intake valve (controls the engine idle)
3. Throttle position sensor

Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? I'll be leaving for Christmas vacation tomorrow and won't get back to my car until after New Year's. I might have to bring it to the dealership if this turns out to be a serious problem.