ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Definitely time for a transmission fluid change, right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 10:14 PM
ckwasi92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely time for a transmission fluid change, right?

Well, besides the other issues with my 96 ES300, the one concerning me the most right now is the hard shifting I have been getting. I hear and feel a bit of a jerk at times during acceleration and deceleration, so I try not to accelerate too quickly (which is part of the reason I got into a minor fender bender while making a left turn recently... should've put the pedal to the metal anyway! d'oh! woohoo higher insurance rates! ) and I figured I ought to check my fluid before going to get it changed. Looks kind of gnarly... Brown with a couple tiny black specks is pretty bad I assume, right? I pray I just need a flush and change, maybe some additives. And is it true that a flush could be the nail in the coffin? Newbie needing some help, folks!!

Also: I couldn't really get an accurate level, as I think I may have a non-original tranny dipstick, like it's from a different vehicle. The pull top looks different from the ones I've seen for this engine online, and it said to use Dexron II on the stick, but I was under the impression that it was Dexron III for the 1MZ-FE? After wiping off and reinserting it, the level was a little bit above full on the hot lines and the car's been sitting for almost 6 hours.

Last edited by ckwasi92; 04-19-14 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-19-14, 10:25 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd saw by the color of the fluid definitely time for a change. Do a drain and fill not a flush.

As far as fluid, I looked it up, it says Dexron II, however thats impossible to find and Dexron III covers Dexron II requirements

Last edited by PuReChaos; 04-19-14 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-19-14, 10:34 PM
ckwasi92
Driver School Candidate

Can hard shifting, slight clunking, occasional whining at low speeds mean a fluid change could just do the trick, or is that usually a "Your tranny is about to bite the dust either way" type of situation?
Old 04-19-14, 10:55 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll admit I know very little when it comes to transmissions. But as with majority of the systems in a car, the lubricant is the cheapest to change and maintain so might as well start there. I believe you do a few transmission drain and fills as you can't get rid of all the old fluid. But hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the topic will give you some more useful advice.
Old 04-20-14, 05:57 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Drain and fill ONLY.

Do a drain and fill, then drive it for a couple hundred miles. And, do another drain and fill. Repeat, till you have done 4 drain and fills total. You will never truly get 100% fluid replaced, but you will get darn close!

Old fluid can impact shift quality, however it won't bring clutch packs magically back to life! Hope for the best!
Old 04-20-14, 07:59 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Drain and fill. 3 or 4 times over the next month or so. Cheap and easy.
Old 04-20-14, 09:07 AM
ckwasi92
Driver School Candidate

The mechanic I'm seeing said he does "transmission service" for $60. I'm not sure if he meant he'd drain and fill it or flush it or what. Is it really that easy to just do it myself? I'll have to look it up.
Old 04-20-14, 10:37 AM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...rain-and-fill/

I have a '99 ES and followed the instructions above. I took the pan off, cleaned the magnets, and replaced the gasket during the first drain and re-fill. I didn't take the pan off the 2nd or 3rd time around.
Old 04-20-14, 10:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwasi92
The mechanic I'm seeing said he does "transmission service" for $60. I'm not sure if he meant he'd drain and fill it or flush it or what. Is it really that easy to just do it myself? I'll have to look it up.
It's easier than an oil change, if you don't remove the pan. Get a 10mm Hex (Allen) socket and 10 quarts of Synthetic ATF.
Old 04-21-14, 06:29 PM
ckwasi92
Driver School Candidate

"Transmission Tune-up. Includes: Visual Inspection, Road test, Make all applicable adjustments, Replace pan gasket, Up to 5 quarts new fluid. Filter and specialty fluids extra."
At AAMCO near me, $20. Another $20 to get the filter replaced too. Good deal, or do I even need to replace the pan gasket and filter?

Also, anyone here ever used Lucas Transmission Fix? I've read a lot of good things about Lucas products, and I'm wondering if in one of my following drain/fills adding some of that to the mix might help the shudder when switching gears. I was also reading a bit about how it the shudder could be caused by worn mounts, the tightness/looseness of the kickdown, etc.

Last edited by ckwasi92; 04-21-14 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 10:38 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts

You won't be able to drain five quarts at once, even if you remove the pan.

In your situation, it's easier to just drain and fill. It would be more beneficial to replace the filter, gasket, and clean the magnets. You will also be able to see if you have a lot of metal shavings inside.

I've heard good things about Lucas as well, but never dared to use their products. Do the regular service first and record your results. If you're still hard shifting and knocking after multiple oil changes, check your mounts, and then try Lucas.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-14, 03:16 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

MrBooby is providing the right advice. Good luck!
Old 04-22-14, 05:05 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never say "AAMCO" they are idiots. That aside just drain and fill a couple of times, then pull the pan to change the filter and gasket. Hard shifts are only a bad thing if they happen after having slipped first. The wining noise may go away but if it stays, get ready!

Last edited by Mythotical; 04-22-14 at 05:06 PM. Reason: misspelled "AMMCO"
Old 04-22-14, 08:17 PM
ckwasi92
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Ouch. Well I did go to AAMCO today. I'm too intimidated by doing even a simple mechanical task if I haven't seen it done and I wanted the gasket and filter replaced too. It was indeed $40 plus tax. The guy who test drove it said it seems to shift just fine. Possibly the shuddering is from worn mounts, and I believe it. I need to put so much into this car. I do notice that it shifts between P/D/R a little bit smoother with new fluid in there. Maybe that's just in my head though. Ah, the beauties of an old car. At least I own it I guess!
Old 04-22-14, 09:47 PM
IzzyB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we're on the subject of transmissions...anyone want to give their two cents on these: magnefine filters ?

I've heard good things, but also have some hesitation about 'completely' cleaning the fluid at once, just like trying to switch an older car from conventional to synthetic oil, and how that can make leaks 'appear'.

Quick Reply: Definitely time for a transmission fluid change, right?