ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help Installing iSimple Tranzit for iPhone5 (is7705)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 08:50 AM
crankboy78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Installing iSimple Tranzit for iPhone5 (is7705)

I am installing the iSimple Tranzit is7705 for my iPhone 5. I have a '97 es300 with the stick head unit. CD Changer and Tape Deck.

The is7705 is basically a fancy fm modulator that connects with the new lightning connection. IT seems like the cleanest/best way to get decent sound from iPhone to the car sound system and keeping the car looking stock/factory.

Since it charges my phone I of course need power. I am a bit perplexed as to what I should I tap to get this power.

A caveat or some background. I am not a huge car person nor an elctronics whiz. But I am far from stupid and pretty self-sufficient. I have already pulled head unit out. I can get by with a multimeter (basic functions) and I have installed a handful of stereos in various cars through out my life. But this stereo is the most cpmplicated. Plus I like this car. It is my "nice" car so I am trying to do this right without having wires running all over the place and making as few mistakes along the way as possible.

My question is what should I tap for power? I don't want the unit drawing power while the ignition switch is off (obviously). In searching the web and these forums I noticed that some recommended tapping the power supplying the cigarette lighter. I could do that and have isolated that wire. Putting myself in the safe keeping of all of you who do these things more than me does that seem kosher? If not should I tap the 12v accessory line going into the stereo? If so which wire is that? Tapping a cigarette lighter I can handle but I get a bit nervous when dealing with the head unit itself and starting to cut wires.

What say you all? Please help. Forgive me if this has been covered or could be found somehwere else. I tried to search but couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer.
Old 12-06-13, 09:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Tap into the cigarette lighter.

I have a iSimple IS77 installed in my RX300 and that's what I did. I don't use it anymore however, since I've installed a GROM unit.
Old 12-06-13, 09:55 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't you have an auxiliary power outlet in your center console? I have a 2001 es300, and mine does, maybe your 97 does to.

It also turns off when the ignition is off.

Phil
Old 12-06-13, 10:30 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I used the cigarette lighter for my power supply. Going all the way to the center console was a possibility, but I couldn't and didn't want to dig that deep. Only issue was trying to reach the cigarette lighter wires, they're buried in there.

I highly recommend this wire stripper for the job. It makes it a breeze.

http://www.greenfunstore.com/John-De...25_a_7cTY26534

Old 12-06-13, 01:59 PM
crankboy78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mr. Booby and hypervish for the thumbs up on using the cigarette lighter.

I installed it this afternoon. I ended up splicing into the auxiliary power supply in my center console as PFB sugested. I assumed incorrectly that I wouldn't have power supply wires long enough on the Tranzit unit itself to do this. Turns out I was wrong. (It is also much easy to do the splicing on the two auxiliary wires than digging around for the ashtray ones liek Mr. Booby pointed out) I had always planned to bring the lightning connection out of the center console so I was tearing that out anyway. No biggy there.

I also decided to stuff the unit itself (secured with two pieces of velcro tape) under/behind the ashtray. This way if I ever have an issue I am only pulling out the wood around the shifter and the ashtray. Going slow helped me come up with this idea instead of mounting it to the firewall behind he stereo (which was my original plan).

It was a pretty easy process and I am happy that the car still looks untouched. I drilled one hole in the base of the center console so the cord exits just in front of the 12 v outlet. I ran the cord through a rubber grommet and even trimmed a nice hole in the original felt for the "floor" of the console. The other hole I drilled was 9/16" to mount the switch that cuts the FM signal. That I mounted underneath the dash in the driver's foot well right next to the volume control **** for the alarm chirp.

The cord for the lightning connection now exits through the little hole that good people of Lexus put in the lid of the center console. Just exactly like I used to do with my FM transmitter when I had it plugged into to the auxiliary 12v. Now I can listen to music and charge my phone and my wife can still be charging her phone through the auxiliary.

Pretty sharp little kit. Thanks again everyone.