ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Coolant / Radiator / Reservoir issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 10:41 AM
peaockbrya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant / Radiator / Reservoir issue

I have a 2005 Lexus ES330. Earlier this week I started noticing that my heater wasn't heating up very quickly. Then, yesterday I noticed that car was starting to overheat. I looked under the hood and saw that the cap on the coolant reservoir tank had come loose so I guess the coolant wasn't getting sucked into the radiator. I re-connected the cap and I also filled up the reservoir tank to Full with coolant from the dealership.

I got an oil change 2 weeks ago and I assumed that the mechanic took the cap off of the reservoir to top it off. They probably realized they didn't have the right coolant and forgot to put it back on.

This morning, after driving for about 10 minutes I noticed that the car was starting to overheat. I opened the hood and see that the reservoir tank is now empty. I checked around pretty good and I don't see that anything is leaking from the reservoir or the radiator.

I'm thinking that I need to add coolant to the radiator, not just the reservoir. Obviously, I will let the vehicle cool down before I add anything. Am I right?

Anybody have any ideas.
Old 11-15-13, 11:04 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Lightbulb

Not sure how the coolant got out through the open radiator cap without you noticing it, but nevertheless, you may have just under filled it.

Repeat it again over the next few days if necessary. Fill it both through the radiator cap and than at the overflow tank. This should resolve it.

If the problem continues, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 11-15-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-15-13, 07:12 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
Not sure how the coolant got out through the open radiator cap without you noticing it, but nevertheless, you may have just under filled it.

Repeat it again over the next few days if necessary. Fill it both through the radiator cap and than at the overflow tank. This should resolve it.

If the problem continues, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Phil
I think you're confusing what OP wrote. I believe the reservoir was left open, so it seems like the coolant has evaporated since the oil change. And yes it also sounds like the cooling system needs to be topped off. In fact, I would recommend bleeding the whole system(getting the air bubbles out), to make sure that you're at the full level. Then if you lose coolant, you'll know you have a leak somewhere, unless it's being consumed by the engine.