ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Mechanic Says Ignore Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 04:38 PM
MemzaEyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic Says Ignore Check Engine Light

I have a 03' Lexus ES300 that had a timing belt replacement on 9-26-13, a week later on 10-03-13 the check engine light came on and I got a free diagnostic done 10-04-13 and it returned the code P0016...and the person who did it cleared the code. After researching the code all of the articles stated that this code is a result of either a part not being changed, a bolt not being screwed tightly, the alignment of the belt placement being off, etc. On 10-08-13 the light came on again and I returned the car to the shop that replaced my timing belt that night stating on the paperwork the code I had gotten.

They completed their diagnostic on 10-09-13 and I picked the car up first thing the next morning on 10-10-13 at which point I was informed that they had gotten the same code and that it was related to the camshaft but my car didn't show any symptoms and they couldn't justify replacing parts and that the code didn't affect my ability to drive the car and although replacing that part may be inevitable I should ignore the light unless my car starts to drive/perform differently than it is. Also they went ahead and did my emissions for me since it's due soon and the light would prevent me from passing it.

Needless to say that I am not at all satisfied with the way things happened because I feel as though it's not safe for me to just be driving around with a light on and then if there is something else more problematic that goes on with my vehicle I won't know the difference. Not to mention that my light just came on again this evening. This shop has a fantastic reputation and I haven't had any problems with them in the years I've been taking my cars there and they have always been stand up people.

So I wrote this long rundown of the incident to ask one simple question lol, has anyone ever been told anything like this before or for the mechanics in the room should I just roll with the flow or take my car somewhere else to have this resolved?

Thanks in advance for all of your input
Old 10-11-13, 06:15 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am a Lexus master technician. I have seen this code several times after a timing belt replacement. The "mechanic" mistimed your engine, and now doesn't want to do the job again for free. I would go back and raise hell at that shop and either get your money back, or have them time the engine again.

Last edited by NotADood; 10-11-13 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 06:48 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What he said. The clearances are very tight on these engines and you do risk damage if you do not get this corrected. Sue if you have to but this needs to be redone... correctly.
Old 10-11-13, 07:01 PM
MoparMan
Rookie

yes, if a mechanic ever says just ignore it, hes an idiot, lazy piece of ****.... raise hell, get it fixed, and never go back
Old 10-12-13, 05:25 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get them to redo the timing belt or refund your money.
From now on, find a new trustworthy mechanic.

There are lines on the timing belt that line up with the cam gears and crack sprocket. The mechanic shouldn't mess it up.
Old 10-12-13, 05:57 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by NotADood
I am a Lexus master technician. I have seen this code several times after a timing belt replacement. The "mechanic" mistimed your engine, and now doesn't want to do the job again for free. I would go back and raise hell at that shop and either get your money back, or have them time the engine again.
Also a Lexus master....this is most likely the issue, but also I've seen where some shady tree mechanics over torqued the cam bolt and cracked it or wobbled out the hole on gear so when you look look at the marks it appears to be in time, but really isn't.

Last edited by GSKaplan; 10-14-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 07:42 AM
mpc
Driver School Candidate

I will never understand why mechanics do things like this. If you treat me well as a customer I will be a loyal customer for life. Unfortunately for me the guy I've gone to for years just retired and closed his shop. Also have a friend who owned a body shop/small mechanic shop but he moved out of state. Forgot how hard it is to find a decent mechanic. Had one guy try to charge me $250 for checking a few codes (I already did it beforehand and printed the sheet out). Then another guy (a recommended place with supposedly great reviews) who tried to pull the "metal shavings in the pan" scam. It was a non-Lexus vehicle at the time and all it needed was a spring and link for the shifter.
Old 10-14-13, 11:42 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It is best to go to a Lexus or toyota cetified technician when having a timing belt replaced. The small chain shops have Pennco tech dropouts who are just trying to get the job done as fast as possible. Sadly they hire a good amount of foul-ups.
Old 10-19-13, 08:02 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan
yes, if a mechanic ever says just ignore it, hes an idiot, lazy piece of ****.... raise hell, get it fixed, and never go back
x2. Tell him to get a new career.
Old 11-26-13, 11:08 AM
autoexper2
Driver School Candidate

Default check engine code

The majority of vehicles have an electronic command module (ECM),which is the mechanized motor administration framework. This module controls every engine operation and its transmission, giving high performance of the motor and disposing the potential emission. These electronic control modules have personal testing limits, which make people mindful about motor discomforts, if it shows up within the electric motor. One of such markers of the ECM is the indication regarding "check motor light". This light enlightens in situations when there is a problem in the engine.

Source : http://engineservicelight.com/

Last edited by autoexper2; 11-28-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-27-13, 08:42 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdog
It is best to go to a Lexus or toyota cetified technician when having a timing belt replaced. The small chain shops have Pennco tech dropouts who are just trying to get the job done as fast as possible. Sadly they hire a good amount of foul-ups.
well said. i don't understand why people skimp on a major service (once every 6yrs or so) and go to shadetree mechanic.
Old 11-30-13, 04:42 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yeskay
well said. i don't understand why people skimp on a major service (once every 6yrs or so) and go to shadetree mechanic.
TB/WP service at the dealer is reasonable. there's even coupons. however i slid 2 bills to a coworker and got my **** done.
Old 12-08-13, 01:52 PM
dtbaker
Driver School Candidate

The light was not on prior to them having worked on the engine valve timing system. There is a problem. Ask them again to fix it or you'll take it to the Lexus dealer and see them in small claims court. Pay a paralegal a few bucks or go online and draw up an affidavit ( get it notarized at your bank for a dollar ) stating that you did not have a check engine light prior to the service and what was supposed to be have been repaired. Keep it simple but cover what was paid for, what happennned, what was said about not fixing it. Also, get someone in that office state that you should "ignore it" and that they jimmied your emissions test (a Felony - by the way) and have your cell phone casually on the counter and on to record sound (alternatively, you can have a witness, a family member or other respectable character along at the time - cost you a lunch) Together with the fact that they played ring around the rosey with the emissions - you should have them convinced that it is in their best interest to make you whole - USE THAT TERM. Use legal terms judiciously and NEVER mention a lawyer. Be pleasant, be firm. After it is resolved - Do not go back. Ever. (Grrrrrr.)