ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Buying a 3rd Gen ES300 (96-01), what should I check? What are common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 09:17 AM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing I was worried about was the pillar-less doors.

1) The rubber getting old and breaking/tearing, causing a leak (because it rains a lot here)
&
2) Any potential damage from water running down the inside of the window (from unsealed windows or from water running down the inside of the window when the doors open while pouring rain).
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you, this kind of design has been used for decades so I think they pretty much have it figured out as far as designing it to make sure it won't leak. I have a 1992 and I've had no problems with the rubber going bad or leaking or anything so the newer car's shouldn't have trouble with this either.
Old 04-19-13, 12:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceLexus
So the video I posted is a bad idea to attempt? The difference I saw in that guys method is that the metal particulates/fillings in the pan, on the magnet & in the filter are removed before the flush. So instead of slowly recirculating & mixing old & new fluid until the % of new fluid is the majority, but leaving the old filter & shavings in the pan pushing them back into the transmission (like the flush machines do) it just pushes the old fluid out.

Ok, so if they don't have records of oil changes ever 3k (std oil) 5k (synthetic); then I should make sure the mechanic doing the pre-purchase inspection is going to check under the front valve cover; because this specific model engine is prone to gelling. And at $95 an hour I should expect it to add another $40ish to the inspection? Just want to make sure I know what to expect so they don't gouge me at the dealership.

Also, would a CarFax or Autocheck show oil changes? Or would it only show them if they were done at the dealership?

Thanks again!
What the guy did in the video, is disconnect the cooler line. That's fine, and won't cause any issues as the transmission is using it's own pump to get the old fluid out.

Generally a pre-purchase inspection does not include removing the front valve cover. It's best to have the seller's permission before having the front cover pulled off.

A Carfax/Autocheck may or may not show oil changes. It depends on which dealership/auto care facility did the work. Honestly, carfax's are useless. A lot of time accidents, etc are not even reported. But, I digress I'm getting off topic.
Old 04-19-13, 01:13 PM
5ltrbeater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
What the guy did in the video, is disconnect the cooler line. That's fine, and won't cause any issues as the transmission is using it's own pump to get the old fluid out.

Generally a pre-purchase inspection does not include removing the front valve cover. It's best to have the seller's permission before having the front cover pulled off.

A Carfax/Autocheck may or may not show oil changes. It depends on which dealership/auto care facility did the work. Honestly, carfax's are useless. A lot of time accidents, etc are not even reported. But, I digress I'm getting off topic.

when pulling off the valve cover gasket, is the old gasket reusable? does anything else need to be replaced if i pull off the valve cver gasket? or is there grommets or rubber o-rings that need to be replaced?
i cudve sworn i saw a member post here that he had successfully pulled off his valve cover to check for sludge and after he put everything back, a few weeks later, his valve cover started to leak oil inside ths spark plug cylinder tubes or something like that...
Old 04-19-13, 08:23 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceLexus
That's only 139,000 miles. How many miles (or KM i can just convert it) had you owned the car before it broke? Do you think the person before you drove it like a maniac? Or was it just a matter of them never changing the ATF?
I bought the car at around 55 k km. I don't think the person drove it like a maniac, probably some grandpa driving it, I got it from a Lexus dealership and it was certified.

I changed the tranny fluid once, just a drain and fill with new gasket/filter.

If you search this forum and the net, there are more people with tranny problems identical to mine. Now with my new rebuild, I'm going to drain and refill the tranny fluid once a year.

I think getting an ES is a safe bet, like any other car it will have some issues, but less than most.
Old 04-19-13, 08:52 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 5ltrbeater
when pulling off the valve cover gasket, is the old gasket reusable? does anything else need to be replaced if i pull off the valve cver gasket? or is there grommets or rubber o-rings that need to be replaced?
i cudve sworn i saw a member post here that he had successfully pulled off his valve cover to check for sludge and after he put everything back, a few weeks later, his valve cover started to leak oil inside ths spark plug cylinder tubes or something like that...
You will need a new valve cover gasket. Honestly, it's not that easy to "just pop the valve cover" and inspect for sludge, if the car is not yours. I tried doing that before I bought the car, and the previous owner was very hesitant. I ended up purchasing the car, after being convinced that I won't find a better deal any time soon.

Would you let some stranger dissect your engine, with the chance that he may mess something up and render your car useless? I personally wouldn't. There are a lot of very brittle electrical connectors in that area. Then there is the risk of over torquing bolts and snapping them, or worse - dropping something into the engine.
Old 04-20-13, 07:05 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
You will need a new valve cover gasket. Honestly, it's not that easy to "just pop the valve cover" and inspect for sludge, if the car is not yours. I tried doing that before I bought the car, and the previous owner was very hesitant. I ended up purchasing the car, after being convinced that I won't find a better deal any time soon.

Would you let some stranger dissect your engine, with the chance that he may mess something up and render your car useless? I personally wouldn't. There are a lot of very brittle electrical connectors in that area. Then there is the risk of over torquing bolts and snapping them, or worse - dropping something into the engine.
+1.

<ignore><10characterfiller>