ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Front Suspension Noise/Replace Lower Coil Insulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 08:19 PM
GBPackers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension Noise/Replace Lower Coil Insulator

Got a bit of noise (rattling - ball bearing in soda can kinda sound) seemingly from the front suspension of my 2K ES300 Platinum Ed. while going over potholes and other sharp bumps, though NOT from more smooth, gradual bumps, unless traveling at higher speeds, OR just from turning (to exclude CV's).

Having tried to reproduce the sound by shaking the car around and hitting the tire with a hammer to no conclusion I took the tires off and started shaking components and checking bushings. Everything looked quite good except the lower spring insulators on both sides. Where the bottom of the springs should first come in contact with the insulators, the insulators are split and mushroomed to the point that, I suspect, any hard compression from potholes and such leads to the coils banging against their metal seat. Other than that the suspension feels really good and my ride is smooth, so I want to try replacing only the insulators for a start.

1st off, does this diagnosis sound reasonable? If so, whats the best way to replace just the lower spring insulators up front? Ideally I wouldn't have to use spring compressors and/or disconnect the strut from either end, but I don't see how that'd be possible.

ALSO...I don't know if my car is EMS or not. Suggestions? Trying to figure it out online is an absolute nightmare.

Thanks for the insight
Old 07-08-12, 08:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,044 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I don't know if the coil can rattle against the spring seat, the coil is always firmly compressed so I don't think it will move up and down enough to rattle. I could be wrong. A more likely cause is bad sway bar bushings, or bad sway bar links. If it does turn out to be the lower spring seat insulator, you have to remove the strut and compress the coil there is no other way to do it.