ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Lexus owner. Having some problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 06:14 PM
firefighte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus owner. Having some problems

I have a 99 es300. 203k on car but the motor has been changed. Don t know when but the writing on air box from junk yard says 165k. I just recently bought it for an extra car. I got the car at a great price because it had a miss fire. The number 5 coil pack was bad. fixed it and changed all plugs. car ran great but cel and vsc lights on and no od. got codes scanned. Only showed front o2 sensor and bank 2 knock sensor. changed out o2 sensor, bank 2 knock sensor, knock sensor wiring harness, back valve cover gasket, and the back oil control valve. The connector going into oil control valve was broke half into. I checked the knock sensors. Bank 2 was bad but bank 1 showed it was still good. I cleared all the codes. After all that vsc light came on automatically and cel came back on after driving it 2 miles. checked codes and showed front o2 sensor. Called it a night and drove home. Drove the same as it has but still no od. Today I drove it and got a few miles from the house and it started cutting in and out when i had the gas pushed. puled over and it idled fine but when i gave it gas it would rev up to about 2500 and bounce down to 1500. it died on me once but started back up. so i turned back around and headed home. The only forward gear i had was drive. No low or 2nd. Made it about a mile and quit. Had it towed the rest of the way. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Don t know if I'm going to take it to Lexus or a local shop. Everything I ve fixed has been bad. But can t figure out why it is showing codes on the front of the motor that it wasn t before.

Just scanned the codes. they are p0171b bank 1 system too lean, p1133 p1135 mfr controlled fuel and air metering.

Turned the key on and couldn t hear the fuel pump. I even removed the back seat cushion and still heard nothing. Checked the fuses and they were all good. Gave it a small shot of starting fluid and it fired right off. So it think my fuel pump has crapped out on me.

Put in new fuel pump and still not working. Hooked the old one up to the battery and it worked. checked the harness going into the pump and the yellow/red wire and green/white wire are hot when the key is on. not sure if either of those work the pump or not.
I m stumped right now. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Well the fuel pump works now. Had a friend suggest unhooking the battery for awhile to clear any codes. I thought for sure I cleared them with the scanner. Oh well unhooking the battery worked. I don t know enough about these cars to know why the engine throwing a code would make the fuel pump not work. But the car is running now. I just have to change out the o2 sensor

The o2 sensor has been replaced. No more o2 codes. I let the car warm up and took it for a test drive. Made it about 2 miles cel and vsc lights came on. Showed code knock sensor bank 2. Cleared it and made it another 2 miles. Same thing and same code. I ve already changed knock sensor 2 and wiring harness. A friend suggested unhooking them and seeing what happens. Tried it and car ran great but on test drive it popped up knock sensor bank 1. Plugged it back up and went to try it again. Didn t make it half way out my driveway and the car started cutting out like it did the other day. The vsc light came on and the cel light was blinking. I could hear the fuel pump cutting in and a clicking under the hood. The clicking ended up being the cir open relay. I believe in works the fuel pump. I removed it and swapped it with a fan relay. Didn t change anythng. Checked the codes and it showed p0753 shift solenoid a electrical. I cleared the codes and started it back up. It acted the same way and showed the same code. I dunno?
Old 01-08-12, 10:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and say its your oil control valve, its a notorious problem for these vvt-i engines. Mine went out few thousand miles ago, got it replace from the dealership for 500 bucks and it ran great. Just a heads up though, i think there are two, a week after replacing one, my other one went bad. The dealership changed it for jsut the price of the part since it was so close in proximity to them changing the first one.
Old 01-09-12, 05:49 AM
firefighte
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Did it show a code or just start acting up? Is there any way to check one to see if it s bad? Can it be cleaned? I ve already replaced the one because the connector was about to fall off.
Old 01-09-12, 12:17 PM
firefighte
Driver School Candidate

Well I removed the front oil control valve and it was very gunked up and sticking. So I cleaned on it with brake cleaner and wd40. Got it working well enough for the spring to push it back closed on it s own. It s still not right though. So I ll be buying a new one of those and a new valve cover gasket for the front.
Old 01-09-12, 05:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

My check engine light went on and it ran fine when it was cold, but once it warmed up it started to run like crap, the cel would start flashing, i turned it off immediately since i didn't want to ruin the cat and had it towed to the dealer. My car runs much smoother now, seems more powerful to
Old 01-11-12, 11:51 AM
firefighte
Driver School Candidate

Well I ve gotta go out of town. So I m hopping to get to it first thing next week. I hope it fixes it. I m just now learning on these 3.0. I know more about my 7.3 powerstroke