ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wireless Door Lock ECU & Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 11:53 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wireless Door Lock ECU & Key Fob

A few months ago, my transmitter key fobs stopped working with my 98 ES300. I have replaced the batteries in both transmitters and they each read 3.2V They still don't lock/unlock the doors. I have followed the procedure (found on the Internet) to register the recognition codes sent from each fob to the car.

At the end of the procedure to register the fob code with the car's Door Lock ECU, I press the lock button and the door lock is supposed to Lock, then Unlock to let me know that the ECU has received the transmitted signal from the fob - That does not happen.

I do not think the problem is with the fob(s) because both batteries are new & tested, and because the problem exists with BOTH fobs.

So, I'm left believing that the Door Lock ECU is at fault, even though the ECU responds to the code registration procedure right up to the end, where it fails to respond to the transmitted signal from the fob when a button is pressed.

So, my question is: What is involved at the Door Lock ECU to listen for the signal from the fob?

Any ideas on how to proceed? (I expect to be told to go to the dealer, but if a fuse or relay, or something else can be checked, I'd like to do that first.)

Walt
Old 03-18-13, 04:12 PM
fsd786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There!

I am getting same issue with my GS300 98 model after changing battery in Key and change Door lock actuator at same time. Not sure what cause the problem.

My question is that how did you find solution for your problem?

Regards
Fsd.
Old 03-18-13, 05:10 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fsd786

My question is that how did you find solution for your problem?
Interesting that you asked. After all this time, and never getting responses, I decided to address the problem again about 3 weeks ago. (I've been using my actual key to get in the car for the last year or so.)

I attempted to re-program one of the fobs and, after about 4 attempts, it worked. BUT - that only lasted for a week. I again reprogrammed the fob a few days ago, and so far so good.

I know it will stop working again, though. It seems the problem is with the car - it is forgetting the fobs. I don't know where to look on the car for the signal receiving unit, or what to do if I ever find it.

On the outside chance that it is my old fobs, I just bought another fob on Ebay and received it Saturday. I'll program that one tomorrow, and see if the car has a problem remembering that one, too. The bottom line, though, is that the problem between the car and the fobs is still not fixed. I suspect that last year I screwed up programming the fobs. Now, even when programmed correctly, it soon stops responding to the fobs again after about a week or two.

Walt

Last edited by ayonnebay; 03-18-13 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 06:28 PM
fsd786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much Walt for reply.

Let me know when you re-programmed your new key. By the way what steps you follow to re-programmed exiting fob.

I followed the following steps in

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...400-430-a.html

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

I got success in all steps but after that fob still not working.

Regards
Fsd
Old 03-19-13, 09:02 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fsd786

Let me know when you re-programmed your new key. By the way what steps you follow to re-programmed exiting fob.
[
Had success with the new fob and my two old fobs - All are working for now. (Note: It is different than your GS instructions.)

I don't know if your GS is the same as my 98 ES, but here's "exactly" how I did it, so I know it's right for me:

1998 ES300

Sit in driver seat and lock all doors (I did it electronically).
Unlock (manually) and open driver door.
Insert the key into the ignition and remove it (Don't turn it - just remove it).
Using the MANUAL lock switch on the Driver door, lock & unlock the driver door 5 times.
Close the door.
Open the door.
Using the MANUAL lock switch on the Driver door, lock & unlock the driver door 5 times.
Insert the key in the ignition and turn to the "ON" position.
Remove the key. (The Driver door will now lock & unlock itself 1 time).
Press and Hold the fob "LOCK" button for at least 1 second.
Close the Driver door.
Open the Driver door.
Press and Hold the fob "LOCK" button for at least 1 second.
Close the Driver door.
Press and Hold the fob "LOCK button (The door will lock itself).
Press and Hold the fob "UNLOCK" button. (the door will unlock itself).
Programming is then complete

Good luck !
Walt

Last edited by ayonnebay; 03-19-13 at 09:06 AM.