ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

So you want to remove the cup holders on your 4th gen ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 06:10 PM
NoobMagoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default So you want to remove the cup holders on your 4th gen ES300?

I just made this account because I recently bought a 2002 ES300 and I noticed there isn't a lot of information about DIY home repair on the 4th gen. When I bought my ES300 I bought it with the cupholders broken. The arms that secure the cup had snapped off. Going to junkyards for this cupholder I noticed a trend that almost all were broken. I just bought a used set that still had their arms from a junkyard and during the install process, I didn't find any information to tear down the center console to remove it. So I thought it would be nice to make a short tutorial on how to do so. I don't have photos of the process as posting but I might update it in the future.

Step 1 (Shifter): Park the car on a flat and level surface and set the e-brake. Put the car in neutral and remove the shift **** by unscrewing counter-clockwise. Then gently pry on the bottom of the shifter cover assembly and once lifted set to the side.
Step 2 (BackSide): Now go into the rear seats of the car and remove the bottom panel of the center console below the rear vents. This should just be removed with one or two firm tugs. Do the same with the top rear vents after that.
Step 3 (Screws): Now there are two screws on both sides of the console. These should just be normal Philips and are located one more upfront and one rear one for each side. You will most likely need to adjust the seats to be able to reach these.
Step 4 (More Screws): Now by the shifter panel from before you should see two Philip head screws securing the console to the dash. Unscrew these.
Step 5 (Minor Bolts): In the big pocket of the center console is a thin foam false bottom, you're going to lift that up and unbolt the two 10mm bolts in there.
Step 6 (Lifting): Now that you have removed all the necessary bolts and screws you should be able to pull back from the front of the console to remove two tabs that secure it to the shifter and lean the whole assembly back to have access to the cupholder.
Step 7 (Cupholder screws and facia) Once the console in tilted back you will see four screws securing the cupholder to the bottom of the console. Remove these. Then you might need to remove the front facia of the cup holders (it's the tan/black/grey plastic piece you tap to open the cupholders.)
Step 8 (Removal) Now you should be able to rotate out the cupholders from their positions.

For reinstall, it should be the same in reverse as it was for me.

I hope this helps people who needed help like me. If you have any questions ill be more than happy to help.

Last edited by NoobMagoob; 04-01-20 at 06:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NoobMagoob:
ChuckD (03-03-21), wmj259 (03-21-20)