Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES300 and ES330
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

98 ES300 Transmission no reverse Fix?

Old 07-07-11, 08:06 PM   #1
shajbot
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

Default 98 ES300 Transmission no reverse Fix?

Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase this 1998 ES300 265K miles that the current owner said the transmission shifts fine forward gears but no reverse. He can put it in reverse and rev it up but no power to wheels. I'm thinking of getting it anyways due to the price if I can haggle it down to a couple hundreds.

What do you think that could do cause this? Speed sensor? Solenoid? Or shot transmission and how much would it be to fix it? Thanks much!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
shajbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 03:30 AM   #2
yeldogt
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Obviously you need to check to make sure the linkage is placing the transmission in the proper gear and that the fluid level is correct.

With as many miles as the car has on it -- you would most likely be looking at a transmission rebuild.
yeldogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 11:11 AM   #3
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Quote:
With as many miles as the car has on it -- you would most likely be looking at a transmission rebuild.
Agreed. My old 94 Camry V6 had the same issue and it turned out that the transmission was shot. I had it replaced, but a few months later it started to shift hard from 3rd to 4th. So, I wouldn't say that a trans rebuild is not an option. My point here is just think twice before buying someone's problem, especially if this problem is expensive and difficult to fix.
Old 07-09-11, 12:07 PM   #4
padavid12
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the reverse link has broken.The linkage will shift the trans to the reverse setting but with the link (inside the trans) broke, it will not engage. If that is the problem, the trans will need to be torn down. Might as well get a rebuilt one or one from the junk yard.
padavid12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 10:42 PM   #5
shajbot
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeldogt View Post
Obviously you need to check to make sure the linkage is placing the transmission in the proper gear and that the fluid level is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padavid12 View Post
Sounds like the reverse link has broken.The linkage will shift the trans to the reverse setting but with the link (inside the trans) broke, it will not engage. If that is the problem, the trans will need to be torn down. Might as well get a rebuilt one or one from the junk yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLex View Post
Agreed. My old 94 Camry V6 had the same issue and it turned out that the transmission was shot. I had it replaced, but a few months later it started to shift hard from 3rd to 4th. So, I wouldn't say that a trans rebuild is not an option. My point here is just think twice before buying someone's problem, especially if this problem is expensive and difficult to fix.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks guys!
shajbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 10:42 PM

Tags
1998, 300, 98, camry, difficult, es, es300, fix, gear, lexus, reverse, shifting, tranny, transmission, wont