ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ANYONE WITH Steering Wheel Clunk 4th generation

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 09:43 PM
johnyboiiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ANYONE WITH Steering Wheel Clunk 4th generation

ive been lookin around for an answer to my steering wheel and column making noise.....i have found tsb's that were released about my model that had the same issue...lexus stealership solution only replace it under warranty for free...otherwise $600 job.....well after putting up with this annoyance in the car that i absolutely love for more than 10 months......i put wd40 into my u-joint while turnin the wheel nd popped the hood and put wd40 into lower joint......i think this has been one of the happiest days for me CLUNKING NO MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw this job cost me $6
Old 02-25-09, 09:16 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Subscribing to see if this is a permanent fix
Old 02-26-09, 08:07 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Permanent fix would be a new intermediate shaft from the dealer. cost about $200
Old 02-26-09, 08:38 AM
mick_foley
Pole Position

a guy can wish right?

But the part number for that item is on a lot of Toyota vehicles so it's not hard to find at a cheaper price. I've actually gotten used to the clunk so it's not that big of a deal.
Old 03-01-09, 02:17 PM
johnyboiiy
Driver School Candidate

Wink

hey ive been on this for about a week now and NOTHING i live in the mean streets of brooklyn where there are more pot holes and messed up roads than u can count and i swear my car now sounds as quiet as ever without the clunk...in ny u can constantly hear the clunk but take it from me now even my steering is more responsive than it was before............ ill keep everyone posted
Old 03-01-09, 02:21 PM
johnyboiiy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mick_foley
a guy can wish right?

But the part number for that item is on a lot of Toyota vehicles so it's not hard to find at a cheaper price. I've actually gotten used to the clunk so it's not that big of a deal.
actually i asked my mechanic he told me that the chassis is same as camry the most parts are the same unfortunately the steering parts is not one of them i guess its what separates lexus smooth steering from toyota
Old 03-01-09, 03:31 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

The part that needs to be replaced is the same one that is on the Camry and the Avalon if I'm not mistaken. Your mechanic friend is wrong.
Old 03-01-09, 03:38 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

You can run the part number for the intermediate shaft through an Internet part search or your local Toyota dealership and local Lexus dealership.

The part number is 4522033270 and before it was changed, the part number was 4522033200.
Old 03-01-09, 09:51 PM
johnyboiiy
Driver School Candidate

You can run the part number for the intermediate shaft through an Internet part search or your local Toyota dealership and local Lexus dealership.

The part number is 4522033270 and before it was changed, the part number was 4522033200.
my bad for making this long......
yeah but i dont know cos its not the intermediate shaft making noise its just the universal joint that was making the noise........BTW never use grease i heard its bad for it.......wd-40 is the cheapest and smartest way to keep u happy =) BTW the part number was good......pretty cheap fix for intermediate shaft but still i have another dilemna maybe u can help i just blew out my rear ddeck subwoofer lol its a mark levinson one i have the whole package but i partially blown it and now it sounds like farting........i replaced it and now the new one sounds like crap compared to it...the subwoofer my dude told me was a 12 ohm so i had to replace it with a sub that fit into the back....slim fit only and had to be 8 inches....friggin sub sux *** compared to mark's this new oone is 4 ohm so had to geta an amp as well........didnt go to lex....(bad idea) and get a price for the sub itself cos im thinkin its gonna cost like insane amount of money owels......well u have any idea of what i can throw back there instead of the stock one or u have a part # and $$$ range of how much itll cost cos ill do it man.....thx for the help anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-09, 10:01 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW ANY OF THE FOLLOWING POST AS FACT.

This is what I've heard concerning the Mark Levinson system. That whole system is fine tuned to work together. You can't just pick any sub (or set of speakers for that matter) to drop in. It will not work well with the rest of the system due to driver resistance, driver placement, and other factors. I have read about the Mark Levinson speakers/sub compared with offerings from a very expensive company called Dynaudio. So the closest replacement would be very expensive anyway. Please note the disclaimer I have above if you haven't already.

Now....my personal take. When you buy a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system in it, you make a commitment to stick with a factory sound system. You believe that you are getting a superior sound system and will not have the desire to change anything about it. That's how I look at it. If I were you, I'd probably just get the dealer to replace the sub. You'll know you have a sub that works right with the rest of the system. That's your safest best. Not going to be cheap but sometimes there is no cheap option.
Old 03-01-09, 10:11 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

That sub will cost you $477 straight from the dealer but less if you buy from an online Lexus parts source such as l-tunedparts.com.
Old 03-01-09, 10:18 PM
johnyboiiy
Driver School Candidate

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW ANY OF THE FOLLOWING POST AS FACT.

This is what I've heard concerning the Mark Levinson system. That whole system is fine tuned to work together. You can't just pick any sub (or set of speakers for that matter) to drop in. It will not work well with the rest of the system due to driver resistance, driver placement, and other factors. I have read about the Mark Levinson speakers/sub compared with offerings from a very expensive company called Dynaudio. So the closest replacement would be very expensive anyway. Please note the disclaimer I have above if you haven't already.

Now....my personal take. When you buy a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system in it, you make a commitment to stick with a factory sound system. You believe that you are getting a superior sound system and will not have the desire to change anything about it. That's how I look at it. If I were you, I'd probably just get the dealer to replace the sub. You'll know you have a sub that works right with the rest of the system. That's your safest best. Not going to be cheap but sometimes there is no cheap option.

tahts some straight up ****.........thnx for pointing me in the right direction .......friggin crap was getting me annoyed i just changed it like out of being spitefull like a douchebag i wasnt thinking logically.......owelz **** happens ill wait till i get that stimulus to bail me out =) LOL.......owelz imma add a little box to the back being that i have the amp anyways might as well throw a little 10 inch in the back......ill throw in the mark levinson in the summer time =)....then paint my bumpers then hopefully ill be HAPPY for once lmao............argghh!!! this will be a painful reminder of why NO ONE shuld mess with the stock sound system that is in the factory tuned!!!!!
Old 03-01-09, 11:04 PM
johnyboiiy
Driver School Candidate

Talking

yeah mick thanx again for giving me that website i think that is the cheapest ill EVER see in my lifetime for this product lol........not bad at all u got some skills broo good looks on the update....and i wouldnt have been able to come close to finding that site sh.it. its like exclusive lol thnx for the effort man...
Old 03-02-09, 08:32 AM
mick_foley
Pole Position

no prob