ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Do struts affect ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 04:59 PM
B-NIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do struts affect ride quality?

What I mean by the post is will aftermarket struts have less quality in the ride than the OEM struts. I ask because I need new struts but the Lexus ones are more expensive than, say, Tokico or KYB and I don't have a lot of money. Also, which do you prefer out of Tokico and KYB, or any others? Thank you
Old 02-27-02, 08:50 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you car is lowerd i would go with KYB's and if not get some nice Monroe Sesatracs. Tokicos are the least good ride i would say, although still awesome struts! Struts do affect you ride and performance.
Old 02-27-02, 10:37 PM
lobo
Rookie

Actually you would be fine with monroe sensatracs if you want to lower your ES I have B&G 1.6 drop springs with monroe sensatracs and 40 series tires and the ride and handling is great, I used to have eibach 1 inch drop with tokico struts and the ride was much worse, the struts were noisy, handling was a comparable, but the setup I have now (same as L_Sport has) is the best combination of handling and comfort, as far as KYB's are concerned I have no experience with them but from what I have researched they handle great and provide decent ride quality, so if you plan on drivng your ES like a sport car (which I don't recommend beacauce its not a sports car no matter how much you mods you have) opt for the sportier option the KYB's , keep in mind that monroe sensatracs do improve handling over stock struts, and retain the best ride quality possible, with lowering springs nad low profile tires added to the mix, let me know if you need more info.
Old 02-28-02, 02:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: Do struts affect ride quality?

Originally posted by B-NIS
What I mean by the post is will aftermarket struts have less quality in the ride than the OEM struts. I ask because I need new struts but the Lexus ones are more expensive than, say, Tokico or KYB and I don't have a lot of money. Also, which do you prefer out of Tokico and KYB, or any others? Thank you
Here is my preference for struts (Rating from 1-5; 5=best):

Monroe Sensa-Trac; 1 = Rides better than OEM.
KYB; 2 = A little better than OEM
Tokico; 5 = Best value- way better than OEM.
TRD Bilstein; 4 = pricey- very stiff.
Koni adjustable; 5 = The BEST but not sure of a Camry/ES300 application.
Old 02-28-02, 03:27 PM
B-NIS
Rookie

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go with the Monroes. But while I am changing the struts, do you guys think I should change the springs too? I would like it a little lower but am more concerned about the ride quality. Any suggestions? How are the TRD springs for Camry? Thanks again
Old 02-28-02, 03:30 PM
B-NIS
Rookie

Sorry, one more thing. How are the B+G compared to the others in ride quality? and all the springs compared to OEM? Thanks
Old 02-28-02, 10:58 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bro, I think your answers are in this post that lobo posted. You might want to read it again. Me and Lobo can tell you the same thing; B&G's 1.6 drop are the nicest ride quality used with monroeo's. (We think so anyway after using different set-ups)

Originally posted by lobo
Actually you would be fine with monroe sensatracs if you want to lower your ES I have B&G 1.6 drop springs with monroe sensatracs and 40 series tires and the ride and handling is great, I used to have eibach 1 inch drop with tokico struts and the ride was much worse, the struts were noisy, handling was a comparable, but the setup I have now (same as L_Sport has) is the best combination of handling and comfort, as far as KYB's are concerned I have no experience with them but from what I have researched they handle great and provide decent ride quality, so if you plan on drivng your ES like a sport car (which I don't recommend beacauce its not a sports car no matter how much you mods you have) opt for the sportier option the KYB's , keep in mind that monroe sensatracs do improve handling over stock struts, and retain the best ride quality possible, with lowering springs nad low profile tires added to the mix, let me know if you need more info.
Old 03-01-02, 01:16 PM
B-NIS
Rookie

So how much do the B+Gs run and where can I buy them? Also, just because there is a set on ebay, how are they compared to the ride quality of the TRDs for Camry? Thanks
Old 03-01-02, 06:40 PM
wassup
Driver School Candidate

What do you guys think about the B+G coilovers? Is it worth the money?
Old 03-03-02, 06:34 PM
Toyota F1
Driver School Candidate

The B&G's are not ride or height adjustable.
Old 03-03-02, 06:50 PM
wassup
Driver School Candidate

B+G does have a coilover kit for the ES 300. I've never heard of B+G Suspension but are they good? Are they worth the money?