ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Nitrous? Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 09:48 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous? Your thoughts

so yesterday one of my buddies told me he has a nitrous system sitting in his closet not being used. So he offered to give it to me. So obviously i said yea. i don't know the specifics on the system yet, but i do know it comes with all the nitrous lines, a bunch of different size pills, a 10lbs tank(which would prob get swapped out for one or two 2lb tanks.) and all the electronics, so in a nut shell a complete nitrous system.

That being said, what do you guys think i should do...??? I'm gonna install it one way or another whether for show purposes or not. But if i do hook up the nitrous for power, do any of you power pros think it can be safely run without damaging the engine, or blowing up my engine, haha???

My buddy had it set up as a wet 100shot for his Accord. It mixed with the fuel and was injected into the firing chambers. Obviously i would probably only use anywhere from a 35 - 50 shot max for engine preservation purposes. Do you guys think a wet or a dry shot would be more stable?
Old 01-10-08, 11:33 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to help but have no experience with NOS.

Nitrous in a ES, that would be different
Old 01-11-08, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nos would damage your internals if used incorrectly. Either you will go too lean or too rich and blow up.
Old 01-11-08, 07:38 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3000
Nos would damage your internals if used incorrectly. Either you will go too lean or too rich and blow up.
See thats what i'm worried about. However, there has to be some sort of happy medium somewhere. As i said above i'm 99.9% sure i wouldn't be using it on the regular and such a small shot should be stable at such minimal use. <emphasizing the SHOULD

What i really need to know is based on the ES model would it be more stable to do a dry shot or a wet shot, and what size shot would be suitable for such an engine and fuel system???

Cmon someone has to have had some experience with nitrous here???
Old 01-11-08, 10:06 AM
Monkiee
Driver School Candidate

first off Please take my advice you dont want nos, just set it up for show, but never use it. Ive been down that road used to race ricers. its not pleasant watching your car go boom.
But yeah exactly like what 3000 said, unless your a super mechanic or know one (or have friends who race cars 24/7) i wouldnt use nos at all, why would you want to in the first place. I do understand having it for show looks which would be perfectly fine but when you hear the word Nitrous a lexus really doesnt come to my mind.

BUT if you must use nitrous its just like anything else go big or dont go period. 75-100 shot even if you wanted to do a 50 shot that would work, its not going to be stable doing a dry or wet shot it doesnt even matter due to the fact im almost 90% sure your going to regret ever having used it if you do. i hope you have money for a new motor though, i went through 3 motors in my 90 5.0 convertible due to nos so just be careful.
Old 01-11-08, 10:15 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manikee -- If you went through 3 motors, it was not the nitrous that was the problem. Go big or don't go period? You are giving terrible advice, and I doubt that you know what you are talking about.

MGD -- Start out with a 50 wet shot and try a 75 shot if the car responds well to it. Your buddy with the accord had a direct port system, whereas you will want to just spray it through your air intake tube.

NOS is a brand name for nitrous.
Old 01-11-08, 10:19 AM
rtk7
Pole Position

i think it should be safe i asked about turbos and people that seem to know alot told me to just get a wet nos kit. So if it so unsafe i dont think they would of recommended it
the turbo thread was one of my first threads
Old 01-11-08, 11:04 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a 2003 ES300. It's not a race car. It's a comfortable, reliable, everyday kind of car. Why would you try to add nitrous, perhaps causing problems down the road, to your tastefully modded DD?
Old 01-11-08, 11:54 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcelligott
Manikee -- If you went through 3 motors, it was not the nitrous that was the problem. Go big or don't go period? You are giving terrible advice, and I doubt that you know what you are talking about.

MGD -- Start out with a 50 wet shot and try a 75 shot if the car responds well to it. Your buddy with the accord had a direct port system, whereas you will want to just spray it through your air intake tube.

NOS is a brand name for nitrous.
Yea i definately agree with you MC, go hard or go home definitely sounds like an example of what not to do. hints the 3 lost engines.

As for the wet shot, im pretty sure it is a dry shot w/ a throttle position sensor which engages at wide open throttle. He didnt know enough about it and installed it himself quite too easily for it to be as nice as a direct port system. I'm pretty sure that it injects the nitrous somewhere into the intake manifold.(dry) maybe through a vacuum line or somewhere before or after the MAFS. Do you have any suggestions as to where it should applied to? <--pretty sure it isnt a wet shot?

TO EVERYONE ELSE NOT IN SUPPORT OF NITROUS:
i dont want to frequently use it or reqularly use it at all. I want utilize it once or twice to see what its all about. If for some reason the car responds well, i will go from there. As a whole i agree with you guys, i dont want to ruin my comfortable, reliable, heavily modded DD.

As for MC, your a very reliable asset to this website and i appreciate the info, input, and assistance. Your my dawg, i think we're on the same level here. Oh, btw how is the boosted ES doing?
Old 01-11-08, 12:14 PM
Monkiee
Driver School Candidate

the reasons i lost those three engine one which blew up due to to much nos, 2nd one just got used to much, and the third one i was in a wreck and it was no good afterwords. and i do know what im talking about. i dont recommend it. thats what i was basically stating in the first place.
Old 01-11-08, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be good to have the system if you also had the computer setup in your car... like a lcd screen with fuel ratio displays etc. I don't know, just something I saw in the fast and the furious.
Old 01-11-08, 09:39 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreMGD32
Do you have any suggestions as to where it should applied to? <--pretty sure it isnt a wet shot?

Oh, btw how is the boosted ES doing?

I am not sure where a good place would be on a 2003 - check out the camry forums and see if anyone has put a kit on that motor. My car is still in storage back in Ohio, but I will be bringing it up here to MN in April to terrorize the area.
Old 01-11-08, 10:10 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mcelligott
I am not sure where a good place would be on a 2003 - check out the camry forums and see if anyone has put a kit on that motor. My car is still in storage back in Ohio, but I will be bringing it up here to MN in April to terrorize the area.
Mmmm, i want more videos of the beast!
Old 01-11-08, 11:48 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

^^^ agreed more videos mcelligott!!!