ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Eminent white or Nightfall Mica

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 06:27 AM
YellowFJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eminent white or Nightfall Mica

Looking at a 2016 with flaxen interior. Torn between the two colors. Anyone know how the darker color holds up.

I currently have a starfire pearl and don't have issues with the paint.

THANKS
Old 07-04-16, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The white will be easier to care for. The nightfall is not as bad as obsidian because the metallic flake helps hide some swirls and imperfections. If you want pure ease though, hard to go wrong with white.
Old 07-04-16, 08:05 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowFJ
Looking at a 2016 with flaxen interior. Torn between the two colors. Anyone know how the darker color holds up.

I currently have a starfire pearl and don't have issues with the paint.

THANKS
Our preference has been the White Pearl and Black interior (hard to get with the White), That is the combo for our '16.

The white will look cleaner longer. The dark body tends to lok dirty a lot sooner
Old 07-04-16, 09:29 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The darker color will be much harder to maintain (keep clean and swirl free), but will look better due to contrast with the flaxen interior.

Eminent white with flaxen would be nice too, and much easier to maintain.
Old 07-04-16, 12:49 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The darker color will be much harder to maintain (keep clean and swirl free), but will look better due to contrast with the flaxen interior.

Eminent white with flaxen would be nice too, and much easier to maintain.
I completely agree. I think some of the dark exterior colors look great, but they are harder to keep looking nice. The white would be the easiest in terms of showing dirt or even minor scratches. The black interior looks nice but shows every speck of dust. The flaxen seems like it would be a nice interior color with either exterior - and it would certainly be my preference of the new color schemes.
Old 07-04-16, 09:37 PM
YellowFJ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I think I will go with the white. And the bonus part is that, the white one in the lot is still made in Japan.
Old 07-04-16, 09:58 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Only get the black interior if you don't mind wiping it down every two days or leaving it perpetually dirty. I detail the interior every weekend even though I'm lazy to wash the exterior. Every few days, I wipe it down with a microfiber towel and warm water.
Old 07-05-16, 08:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

To me, pearl whites, including the Eminent White, are among the most beautiful car colors available, but it should be pointed out that there are a couple of downsides to those pearl whites.

First, if you ever need any paint work done on the car, those pearl whites can be among the worst nightmare colors to work with for even a highly skilled paint technician. So, if you have a good eye for paint matches, if you are particular about those paint matches, and if you ever need to have a bumper refinished or a severe scratch on a door refinished, you may well end up, even when the work is done by a highly skilled paint technician, not finding the repair to be satisfactory. Also, when you get the inevitable pinhead-sized stone nicks in the paint, using touch-up paint to take care of them and ending up with an unnoticeable repair is almost impossible. When you use touch-up paint to try to repair tiny stone nicks with a pearl white, the repair will look good from one angle, but, when the light hits the repaired area from a different angle, the repair will stick out like a sore thumb.

On the other hand, darker colors, including the Nightfall Mica, should be much more tolerant if paint repairs are ever necessary. With a darker metallic color, a skilled paint technician can usually get a great match with just a panel-to-panel match. And, if you use touch-up paint to repair tiny stone nicks and if you use good technique, you should be able easily to get a repair that is undetectable unless you are looking at it from a few inches away.

Thus, while a color like the Eminent White is a beautiful color and while it won't show dirt and dust as readily as a darker color, the color is highly problematic if paint repairs, major or minor, are ever needed. For me, while I don't plan on ever needing paint work, I know that things can happen, and I try to avoid vehicle colors for which getting satisfactory paint repairs can be a challenge or that can even be impossible.

Last edited by lesz; 07-05-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 10:19 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

And what's the big deal if it was made in Kentucky?
Old 07-05-16, 12:33 PM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...erican-es.html

A lot of opinions regarding the "made in America" as opposed to Japan workmanship.
Old 07-05-16, 01:43 PM
YellowFJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Probably nothing wrong with them. Just not sure if I would want a first year product from a new manufacture line.

Also, I noticed the chrome front end on the white ES is textured, but the black ones are just the regular shiny chrome. Not sure if its the color or the country of origin
Old 07-05-16, 02:18 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably nothing wrong with them. Just not sure if I would want a first year product from a new manufacture line.

Also, I noticed the chrome front end on the white ES is textured, but the black ones are just the regular shiny chrome. Not sure if its the color or the country of origin
I have a Kentucky one and there is nothing wrong and on all 16 Es the bottom is textured.
Old 07-05-16, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're all the same, do difference with color or plant of origin.
Old 07-05-16, 06:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In years prior to 2016 for the Generation 6 ES, the color of the grille and grille trim has varied depending on the color of the vehicle. I suspect that the same thing may be true for the trim around the grille with the 2016 ES.
Old 07-05-16, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lesz
In years prior to 2016 for the Generation 6 ES, the color of the grille and grille trim has varied depending on the color of the vehicle. I suspect that the same thing may be true for the trim around the grille with the 2016 ES.
The only thing that changed was the color of the center bumper bar in the grille (which matched the cars color). Otherwise the grill color has never changed from color to color, and it doesn't on the 2016 either.

Quick Reply: Eminent white or Nightfall Mica