ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why not an auto lock feature?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 01:11 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Why not an auto lock feature?

I was playing with the Carista app today and set the lane change blinks to 5 from the default 3 (had to pay $20 for the pro version of the app for that!). I like 5 blinks on the lane change signal. 3 was just not cutting it.

Anyway I was wondering why the ES does not have an auto door lock feature. At the present time I touch the top of the door handle when I leave the car and it beeps once, indicating that it has locked. When I come back and get close to it, it obviously knows that I am close because the interior and the exterior puddle lights come on. If the car knows that I have come close to it, it obviously also knows when I move away from it. In that case why does it not allow me to be a completely and absolutely lazy sloth and lock itself. Why do I have to touch the top of the door handle to lock the thing? If there are no keys in the car and if we have the keys in our pocket why don't we have the option that the car locks itself when we walk away and unlocks itself when we get close to it.

Maybe the feature is already there and I am missing it somewhere? There is no new capability needed for this. Just more programming..
Old 04-29-16, 03:11 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
I was playing with the Carista app today and set the lane change blinks to 5 from the default 3 (had to pay $20 for the pro version of the app for that!). I like 5 blinks on the lane change signal. 3 was just not cutting it.

Anyway I was wondering why the ES does not have an auto door lock feature. At the present time I touch the top of the door handle when I leave the car and it beeps once, indicating that it has locked. When I come back and get close to it, it obviously knows that I am close because the interior and the exterior puddle lights come on. If the car knows that I have come close to it, it obviously also knows when I move away from it. In that case why does it not allow me to be a completely and absolutely lazy sloth and lock itself. Why do I have to touch the top of the door handle to lock the thing? If there are no keys in the car and if we have the keys in our pocket why don't we have the option that the car locks itself when we walk away and unlocks itself when we get close to it.

Maybe the feature is already there and I am missing it somewhere? There is no new capability needed for this. Just more programming..
I would not want that feature. We go for a walk every evening ..if I happen to have my keyfob with me, the car does momentarily light up as I pass it. I don't want the doors unlocking just because of that, and then locking again when I get further away.

You can of course always use the keyfob to unlock the doors as you approach...but maybe that is too out of sloth mode?

PS-agree with you on the 5 flash thing. I set mine to do the same
Old 04-29-16, 03:39 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

i really wish that it had an auto go-to-work feature, and mb even an auto run-all-the-errands feature. one step closer to never having to leave the couch. In fact, why do i even have to use my fingers to type this? isn't there some tech that can do it for me? soooo haaaard.
Old 04-29-16, 04:05 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't believe that an auto-locking door is a good feature. It just sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

I too got the Carista App and Dongo. Isn't it great? I like the 5-blink for the lane change as well. It's awesome to be able to toy around with all the features without being charged up the behind at the dealer.
Old 04-29-16, 04:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't care for an auto lock feature, but I wouldn't mind a delayed lock feature like my last 3 GM cars had. exit car hit the lock button on the inside door and 30 seconds after the last door closes the car auto locks and auto sets the alarm.

why?

because it sucks when you have your hands full and have to touch the car door or key fob to lock the car.
Old 04-30-16, 12:30 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also change the signal from 3 to 5 flashes via carista as well. This should have been a option in the vehicle customization menu. Instead of an internal (dealer) selection.