Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2013 ES300h Engine Noise on Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 11:41 AM
brian861
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 ES300h Engine Noise on Start

I started my car this morning around 12:00pm (noon) for the first time of the day. It's about 21 degrees outside and very windy. My engine started but it really sounded like a jackhammer and was shaking. It ran for maybe 15 seconds then I shut it off. Started it back up again with my phone ready to record and it happened again.

Went back inside to call roadside assistance to bring it to a service center. Went back out to move it in the street while in neutral. Got it into place and attempted to start it again, it started and drove normally.

I'm still bringing it to Lexus on Monday so my issue can be documented especially since I have it on video.

Please check the video (more for the sound) and let me know what you think. I'm thinking it was just due to the really cold weather? Everyone kept saying with such confidence that it's the battery. I hardly think this is a battery issue.

Video:http://tinypic.com/r/2diedl1/9
Old 02-13-16, 03:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the forum. From past Lexus hybrids ownership experience, I have never heard the engine racket as per your video, even on the coldest days.

I agree this is not a battery issue but a mechanical one though I believe it was a one-off due to the cold temps. I wonder if the engine initially lacked proper lubrication. I'd check the oil make sure it looks fine, but ultimately, have your dealer run a diagnostics just in case and look at your video.
Old 02-13-16, 06:32 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW, I've never heard anything like that.

What did dealer say about the video?

stuck valves?
Old 02-13-16, 08:11 PM
brian861
Driver School Candidate

I'll check the oil but not due for an oil change for a few more thousand miles. I asked to speak with a service tech but the girl on the phone insisted it was the battery so it was no use explaining to her. I have an appointment this Monday and bringing proof (the video) and requesting documentation stating the issue in case this is a problem in the future.
Old 02-15-16, 10:52 AM
cdrescher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into this same issue on my wife's Priusv. Cold weather and READY TO BLOW UP noise. I had backed it out of garage the day before and the engine only started that time right before I shut it off. Pulled it in on electric motor. The next day, the same thing. I read the computer possibly gets "confused" for a cold start. I always let it run for a little when it is cold. Never had it do it again.
Old 02-15-16, 08:48 PM
brian861
Driver School Candidate

Dropped it off at Lexus today. I gave them the video (via text) and left. They gave me a loaner NX... Ehhhh.... I'll take my ES300h back. They called me about 4 hours later:

Call 1: You put after market oil filter on it and it could have gotten clogged etc.. I said, No... I brought it to a Lexus dealer. If its not a Lexus part, they did it. (Free oil change and filter though). Can't find anything but it's documented, you can pick up the car. This is what I expected.

Call 2: You're right. It was just an aftermarket maintenance sticker. You have a genuine oil filter. You can still pick up the car.

Call 3: Asked me how many times it happened, length of time in between it happened again and then when it didn't. They asked if they can keep the car overnight so they can try it in the AM.

They haven't seen anything like this but want to be sure. I expect they will find nothing and it was just a fluke but at least now it's documented in case anything happens in the future.

I'll keep you posted when I get my car back.
Old 02-16-16, 06:44 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It has happened in my Camry Hybrid in the past. For me it was a sign the water pump was starting to fail.
Old 02-16-16, 02:55 PM
brian861
Driver School Candidate

So after you played my video, you experienced the same type of sound? This car only has about 36k miles. What did you wind up doing? Did Lexus replace the water pump and acknowledge that was the issue?

Originally Posted by RX_330
It has happened in my Camry Hybrid in the past. For me it was a sign the water pump was starting to fail.
Old 02-17-16, 06:10 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brian861
So after you played my video, you experienced the same type of sound? This car only has about 36k miles. What did you wind up doing? Did Lexus replace the water pump and acknowledge that was the issue?
Yeah, the noise was similar to yours. It happened on a really cold winter morning. I got scared like you did and turned it off. When I turned it back on it didn't happen again though. I actually never brought it to the dealer since it didn't reoccur immediately. Over the winter I heard it about two more times, but they only lasted about 5 seconds each. About two months after that it happened bad again, so I brought it in and they attributed it to the water pump. They replaced it under the powertrain warranty. Haven't heard it since. My Camry had 48k miles at the time and now has 110k.
Old 02-18-16, 07:04 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That's scary... I had a similar sound and vibration, like the fuel/air mixture wasn't right, when I started the car. This was over a year ago when I'd had the car for just a few months. I turned the power off after a few seconds, the car restarted fine and it hasn't happened since, even in freezing weather. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. If it happens again, I'll tell them to look at the water pump.
Old 02-19-16, 07:47 AM
brian861
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the input. They came back and, as expected, could not pinpoint the issue. They were very helpful but unfortunately, could not find any relation. I didn't get a chance to mention the water pump but at least the problem is now documented and I have video. i think I might write to Lexus to express concerns while not putting blame on the dealership since they did what they could. I do understand the circumstances since they were not able to duplicate the issue.
Old 05-11-17, 11:44 AM
Sameercast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CT200h 2011

Hi Brian861,

I am having same issue and same noise when engine kicks. Its exactly like ur video, changed the Manifold, changed the coils , and plugs twice already.
Please let us know what was the solution , I think someone mentioned that water pump could b the culprit. Would love to know what fixed the issue you had?

Thanks
Sam
Old 05-11-17, 12:16 PM
brian861
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sameercast
Hi Brian861,

I am having same issue and same noise when engine kicks. Its exactly like ur video, changed the Manifold, changed the coils , and plugs twice already.
Please let us know what was the solution , I think someone mentioned that water pump could b the culprit. Would love to know what fixed the issue you had?

Thanks
Sam
Well... My vehicle was still under manufacturers warranty so I just brought it to them. Fortunately, I did have the video but they came back and really did not have a definite answer. They changed the oil, free of charge. It really only happened that one time and fingers were pointed to it being really cold outside. It was really really cold and my car was outside so maybe the oil wasn't fluid enough. I'm not sure if it's cold where you are at.

Subsequently, I sold that car and bought a Tesla. I no longer have to worry about engine noise or oil.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Sameercast (05-11-17)