ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Passenger operating Navigation while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 06:21 PM
caboal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger operating Navigation while driving

I usually drive with a passenger and it would really help if they could enter an address into the Nav unit while driving? Is there any type of program or aftermarket modification to make the Nav fully functional to the passenger while moving?
Old 11-28-15, 12:26 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caboal
I usually drive with a passenger and it would really help if they could enter an address into the Nav unit while driving? Is there any type of program or aftermarket modification to make the Nav fully functional to the passenger while moving?
Look for lexus navigation bypass. You'll have to remove the trim (instructions are on youtube) with plastic trim removers. It is easy to do (relatively). The car re-assembles without any clattering sounds (at least mine did). I like my bypass switch...it makes the car think that it is stopped. The only bad part is that the GPS does not update, when you bypass. On some of the bypass circuits you can set them to turn off the GPS until you deactivate the unit...some have timers and some have both.

I set mine to turn on until I deactivate manually. This allows my kids to watch movies while I am driving....
Old 11-30-15, 08:09 AM
caboal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you.
That looks like a plan.
Al
Old 11-30-15, 10:11 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by caboal
Thank you.
That looks like a plan.
Al
We have exactly what you need:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nsd6223ep.html

I'll send you a PM with our current special

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 12-15-15, 11:19 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wowzer
Look for lexus navigation bypass. You'll have to remove the trim (instructions are on youtube) with plastic trim removers. It is easy to do (relatively). The car re-assembles without any clattering sounds (at least mine did). I like my bypass switch...it makes the car think that it is stopped. The only bad part is that the GPS does not update, when you bypass. On some of the bypass circuits you can set them to turn off the GPS until you deactivate the unit...some have timers and some have both.

I set mine to turn on until I deactivate manually. This allows my kids to watch movies while I am driving....

I have seen videos for pre 2013 lexus ES350 radio/trim removal but have yet to see one of a 2013-up for the ES350

Lots of GS530 2013-up removal videos.
Did you mean that model?

EDIT:
I found one of a 2014 ES250 (didn't even knew that model existed).
No words though so I would not do it based off just this one example:

Last edited by bootman; 12-15-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 06:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

no reason to do this. the voice control system when trained can fully operate the navigation system.

off the main menu go to..

SETUP > VOICE > ADAPTATION and repeat the ten phrases. save yourself a few bucks and look smart while doing it
Old 12-19-15, 06:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
no reason to do this. the voice control system when trained can fully operate the navigation system.

off the main menu go to..

SETUP > VOICE > ADAPTATION and repeat the ten phrases. save yourself a few bucks and look smart while doing it
And, besides being able to use the voice commands built into the navigation system itself, I've found that using voice commands for the navigation system via the Enform app works especially well. Not only does the voice command feature of the Enform app seem to be able to understand what I'm saying, even I'm not speaking as clearly as I could be speaking, but, because it is using a data base from the internet that likely has been updated more recently than the data base in the vehicle itself, my experience has been that, in setting destinations through the Enform app, it will quickly find locations that won't be found when using the data base that is loaded into the vehicle's navigation system.