ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Enform App sucks, let's create a new one

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 02:32 PM
tifan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Enform App sucks, let's create a new one

Managed to reverse engineer lexus enform protocol (app & edestination) and would like to share some information.

* Lexus Enform App talks serial over bluetooth
* the headunit runs QNX
* eDestination implementation is soap-like (except it's not soap), and it's not the best API design I've ever seen

Theoretically I can send anything to the headunit. Preliminary research reveals it requires no modification to head unit, however the communication speed might be painfully slow, making it only suitable to send text and still pictures. Part of the problem is serial over bluetooth...

My current goal is to integrate Google Maps and eDestination. Then probably Google maps search and Twitter in the head unit. Bing is like hell.
Old 08-27-13, 02:37 PM
batwings
Driver School Candidate

While I don't understand a lot of what you said, I love the idea of integrating Google Maps with eDesitination!
Old 08-27-13, 02:39 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by tifan
Managed to reverse engineer lexus enform protocol (app & edestination) and would like to share some information.

* the headunit runs QNX
* eDestination implementation is soap-like (except it's not soap), and it's not the best API design I've ever seen

Theoretically I can send anything to the headunit. Preliminary research reveals it requires no modification to head unit, however the communication speed might be painfully slow, making it only suitable to send text and still pictures. Part of the problem is serial over bluetooth...

My current goal is to integrate Google Maps and eDestination. Then probably Google maps search and Twitter in the head unit. Bing is like hell.
Uh, yeah Tifan. Sounds great. Go for it... Let us know how you make out...
Old 08-27-13, 03:00 PM
tifan
Driver School Candidate

ere's some stuff to show. I expect a working proof of concept implementation ready by the end of day with eDestination&Google Maps integration. Will be a webapp.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Enform App sucks, let's create a new one-screen-shot-2013-08-27-at-2.54.33-pm.png  

Last edited by tifan; 08-27-13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 03:13 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd like to see all nav systems set up so you can just plug your smartphone in and it will mirror it to the larger screen in the car, and allow control from either touchscreen, multitouch pad, or the existing joystick/mouse idea that lexus is currently using.
Old 08-27-13, 04:55 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any improvement to the Apps/ Navi is welcomed.
Old 08-27-13, 09:37 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mspearl95
I'd like to see all nav systems set up so you can just plug your smartphone in and it will mirror it to the larger screen in the car, and allow control from either touchscreen, multitouch pad, or the existing joystick/mouse idea that lexus is currently using.
Sing it from the freakin' mountain tops!!! I don't get why this is such an impossible dream. And furthermore - well done in mentioning both touchscreen and joystick. No reason it can't be both.
Old 08-27-13, 09:39 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifan

* the headunit runs QNX

I'd love a more advanced navi than the Lexus provides! I respect your determination!
Old 08-28-13, 04:29 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier just to use a third party device in the vehicle?

There are also probably warranty concerns you may want to consider before modifying Lexus' software.
Old 08-28-13, 05:03 AM
txes
Lead Lap

If I can figure out how to get my Samsung 65" Smart TV into the Lexus I'd be set.

The Galaxy S4 projects nicely on it.

John
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Enform App sucks, let's create a new one-dsc00074.jpg  
Old 08-28-13, 09:48 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
If I can figure out how to get my Samsung 65" Smart TV into the Lexus I'd be set.

The Galaxy S4 projects nicely on it.

John
John - neat! How'd you do that?

Bill
Old 08-28-13, 09:53 AM
txes
Lead Lap

The Galaxy S4 has screen mirroring and it will connect to the Samsung Smart TV.

So anything on my phone can be sent to the TV in real-time.

Or I have a Samsung keyboard made for the TV and I can access the net through the TV.

Boys and their toys...

Here is a photo of the remote and keyboard for the TV. Both have touchpads that act like a mouse.

John
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Enform App sucks, let's create a new one-remote-and-keyboard.jpg  

Last edited by txes; 08-28-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-28-13, 07:44 PM
tifan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by txes
The Galaxy S4 has screen mirroring and it will connect to the Samsung Smart TV.

So anything on my phone can be sent to the TV in real-time.

Or I have a Samsung keyboard made for the TV and I can access the net through the TV.

Boys and their toys...

Here is a photo of the remote and keyboard for the TV. Both have touchpads that act like a mouse.

John
technically possible. nobody'll be willing to do that though -- device specific, vendor specific and requires a lot of work