Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

1st Hybrid (and first Lexus) - driving tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 05:22 PM
rlloyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Hybrid (and first Lexus) - driving tips?

I'm getting my 300h tomorrow.
After getting an average of 22mpg in my BMW I'm looking forward to 40 with regular gas!!

What hybrid driving tips do you have to help me learn how to maximize and drive my H they way it was designed?
I know about the pressing EV at drive-in/parking areas and very light brake going down hill to re-charge.
What else?

On-ramps: slow and steady or up to speed quick?
Red light ahead: coast, light brake?
Highway speeds?
etc....

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-15-13, 03:17 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Achieving good fuel economy with the 300h is easy - by its nature, the 300h gets really good FE. To get even more takes a bit of 'work'. There are many articles on the web about hypermiling - just do a search. To get even more FE, squeaking out the most possible additional MPGs, requires practice and patience.

This article is a pretty good starting point:

http://www.wikihow.com/Hypermile

The best technique I have found is the 1st one - drive as if you have no brakes.

While most think that very slow 'granny' type acceleration helps maximize FE, I have found the opposite to be true. Per the article, step 2:

"Fuel efficient vehicles actually generate better gas mileage when a "brisk" acceleration method is used. Acceleration makes for terrible mileage, so get the acceleration out of the way so that you can cruise (excellent mileage!) Slow acceleration will yield less mileage on efficient cars."

Slow acceleration is good/best when in EV mode (whether the EV button is pressed or not). Anytime when in EV mode, a gentle throttle keeps you in EV mode longer (provided there is battery power available). But when accelerating after the ICE comes on and you are no longer in EV mode, brisk acceleration so you get up to cruising speed quickly gives the best overall FE.

I have done very limited highway driving at this point but have found 65mph is giving me a consistent 44mpg, with perhaps less FE at 60mpg (to my surprise - still need more time to test). Gently slowing down by about 5mph going up an overpass and then gently increasing to your cruising speed on the way down can get you a bit more FE.

When driving with no other cars around me, I find the ECO mode works great. Otherwise, I find the SPORT mode to be best when in normal traffic. Keep in mind that the different modes simply affect throttle response and don't really change any of the characteristic of the car. So when accelerating, depressing the throttle more in ECO mode gives the same result as pressing it more gently in SPORT mode.

Congratulations, and enjoy your new car. No matter what you do, you will get close to double the FE of your BMW.

Last edited by ElliotB; 01-15-13 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 06:03 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

This is also our first hybrid so thanks for the tips. I hope to use them at some point. So far, I have only driven the car home from the dealer.
Old 01-15-13, 10:55 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Folks, to maximize the economy there 'is' a slightly different driving style. The easiest way to enjoy the car is remember you didn't buy it (the h model) for raw performance but for saving gas and it becomes fun. After two weeks in my RX 450h I removed my radar detector from the car. Speed and hard acceleration kill mileage no matter what car but will totally destroy the effect in a hybrid. The acceleration is still there when you need it but usually you don't I'm not a 'hyper miler' but I do start easier now and start slowing down earlier for stops. The earlier term "driving as if you had no brakes" makes sense for a hybrid. And keeping it at the speed limits but not over has made my driving less stressful as well as more economical (and has yet to cause me to be late). With 45,000 + miles now my nearly 5,000 lb car with nearly 300 (297) hp has averaged a tick over 30mpg and wasn't too hard to do that, just conscientious driving and using the power gauge. As soon as you get a great mpg for a tankful, you're start trying to beat it. Becomes a way of life .

Hang in there and enjoy .
Old 01-15-13, 11:55 AM
rlloyd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks those are great. I haven't heard of hypermiling so I'll search that out. Just drove from home from motor vehicles and so far I love the car. It's going to take a little while to get use to the new technology in it. Only thing I don't like so far is the small trunk coming from a wagon.

Glad to hear the 450h also gets good FE. I will have to look at one of those when the kids get a bit older and the mini-van is due for replacement.
Old 01-19-13, 05:24 PM
toy54
Driver School Candidate

I am new here too, and just had my ES300h least than a week. about 6miles daily roundtrip to public trans. Inching to leisure/fun trip to exercise the features. I found the features overwhelming at first, but now comfortable. what i like: style/looks
working on getting to know the functions better.
Who else?