ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Power loss & Steering wander 08 Es 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 08:40 AM
Sealevel15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power loss & Steering wander 08 Es 350

I recently purchased a beautiful 08 Es350 55k miles & clean car fax.
The problem is this car was absolutely perfect for about a month. Using a simple stopwatch I averaged 0-100mph in about 14 seconds. I attempted (poorly) to use the manual shift and hit redline a little hard. That seemed to be the start of my problems. I'm not sure if it really is from my improper shifting, however the problem started the same day, so I assume that was the reason?

Anyway what I have noticed is when attempting to pass using hard acceleration, or simply driving down the road at normal speed and punching it. The steering suddenly becomes incredibly squirrely, basically it doesn't want to drive a straight line. It starts wandering, sometimes almost sucking me into the car/lane I'm trying to pass.

I've not noticed any noises, the tires are inflated perfectly to specs and it drives like an arrow when you release the wheel at constant speed. Breaking is also straight with no pulling. I have noticed front of the car appears to sit lower on one side. it has however lost quite a bit of power, its still an incredibly fast and smooth drive, but the zero to 100 has easily lost several seconds. In auto the RPMs seem to shift much higher than before. Near Red Line.

Normal in town speeds do not show any unusual signs. I did just notice that when I press on the hood. The passenger side is much more stiff than the driver side.
If anyone has any helpful input I'd love to hear from you! This is still under warranty and I have a service appointment coming up in a few weeks, (my busy schedule, not the dealers) my only fear is they're going to say they cannot find any problems because it is very nice writing car when operated like a grandma is driving it. Basically I'd just like to have something I can ask specifically to look at? Thank you all for your time I do appreciate it
Old 03-15-17, 09:43 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

http://www.aa1car.com/library/torque_steer.htm
sounds like torque steering to me but what do I know I'm a grandpa
Old 04-05-17, 08:48 AM
Sealevel15
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I appreciate your time!

​​​​As for torque steer. I agree, yet disagree. I've know what torque steer is, as well, suspected it to be the issue here. However, when I first purchased this baby, I of course had to see what her limits were. I pushed it pretty good for the first couple weeks until the "new toy" feeling subsided. It was soon after when I was documenting the 0-100 mph time. Never had torque steer show it's presence. That is, until I missed a shift & pinned redline on a run. I felt a minut power loss before I finally got it into gear. No bang pop or smoke. Yet since then, the steering has been sketchy. Not to mention my 0-100mph is now 20seconds vs the 12seconds prior to my screw up. No engine noise, no visible smoke or dummy lights/codes. I'm at a loss
Old 04-05-17, 08:50 AM
Sealevel15
Driver School Candidate

So, I took her in to the dealer. Just as I suspected, the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. He said it was a rocket, but didn't notice anything aside from torque steer. Regardless, if torque steer is the problem. Something happened, to cause an increase in the amount of torque steer. A Lexus should drive like it's on a cloud, not loose sand. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 04-05-17, 09:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Torque steer in this generation ES is very strong and what you are experiencing is normal. Definitely a two-hands (maybe white knuckled) on the wheel at WOT kinda car.

Part of the reason why I hope the next gen ES has AWD. I can bury the pedal to the floor in the RX and steer it with one finger, thanks to AWD (and less power lol).
Old 04-05-17, 09:24 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

It definitely sounds like torque steer to me as well. It's pretty bad on this generation of the ES. While an AWD system would solve it, using symmetrical drive shafts would also greatly reduce torque steer.
Old 04-05-17, 03:22 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the problem with your analysis may be your small reference sample size. You owned the car and drove it for a little while and did not experience torque steer for whatever reason...well most of these cars have limited-slip differentials that are going to apply engine power at different percentages, and spin the wheels at different rates at different times anyway, so this could be for a number of reasons.

You think something has changed and that your car isn't normal anymore, when in reality, what it's doing is totally normal and fits with the experience of thousands of people driving front heavy front-wheel-drive cars.

Sometimes my TL doesn't torque steer because both tires hook up and receive the same % of engine power. Sometimes it does torque steer because the PCM detects slip and cuts back the power to one wheel, then the other has a tendency to take off. That is when you experience torque steer.

It's fine. Don't over think it.
Old 04-05-17, 03:32 PM
Sealevel15
Driver School Candidate

Well, I have to say, yall probably hit the nail right on the head. Sounds about right. I just needed to be told one last time apparently ha ha. Thank you for your time. It's very appreciated.
Old 02-03-24, 04:32 PM
TexasLexus78216
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jkayca
It definitely sounds like torque steer to me as well. It's pretty bad on this generation of the ES. While an AWD system would solve it, using symmetrical drive shafts would also greatly reduce torque steer.
Is this still a problem? I'm just now getting serious about car shopping and I can't handle pulling while accelerating.