ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Help! Es350 trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 03:42 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Es350 trans issue

My mother has a 2008 es350 with 115k on it. Today it was having transmission issues on a long road trip. At first it had trouble taking off from a start, then a flare between 3rd and 4th gear appeared, until finally it lost reverse and the VSC, Check engine, and stability control lights came on. I have read several post regarding this transmission issue, but have become a little confused with it all. After unplugging the battery cable the transmission fixed itself, so my question is if anyone knows what is wrong with her car and if it'll be pricey to fix?
Thanks so much for yalls help,
Old 02-24-17, 06:45 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Transmissions are typically expensive to fix. Got any codes?
Old 02-24-17, 09:00 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkayca
Transmissions are typically expensive to fix. Got any codes?
Not surE. I'll check when I got to her house tonight. I'll keep y'all updated. Could it be a solenoid issue?
Old 02-24-17, 09:24 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

I bet it's reverse solenoid malfunction.
Old 02-24-17, 05:09 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
I bet it's reverse solenoid malfunction.
is that something located in the transmission itself or something that can be changed under the car?
Old 02-26-17, 09:41 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Default Trans Issue

I went to check the codes, but because I had disconnected the battery the codes had cleared out and I could not get them to reappear. I did noticed some severe corrosion on the positive battery terminal, which I cleaned. I am going to check the voltage from the battery to the alternator etc at work tomorrow. Is it possible that the wrong voltage was being sent to the transmission?
Old 02-26-17, 11:39 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by cm18cam
is that something located in the transmission itself or something that can be changed under the car?

That solenoid is located inside the transmission.

I think corosion have nothing to do with those codes.
Old 03-10-17, 01:25 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
That solenoid is located inside the transmission.

I think corosion have nothing to do with those codes.
Since the first issue with the trans it has been shifting and acting normally, but all drives have been relatively short with just around town driving consisting of 20 minutes or so. Today I drove moms car over an hour and just as I was arriving at my location the trans reved really high when going from a slow speed (10 mph) to a faster speed (25 mph) then when I parked I checked and had lost reverse. Still no error codes appearing. Anymore more ideas with this additional info? Thanks
Old 03-10-17, 07:23 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

My mother has a 2008 es350 with 115k on it. Today it was having transmission issues on a long road trip. At first it had trouble taking off from a start, then a flare between 3rd and 4th gear appeared, until finally it lost reverse and the VSC, Check engine, and stability control lights came on. I have read several post regarding this transmission issue, but have become a little confused with it all. After unplugging the battery cable the transmission fixed itself, so my question is if anyone knows what is wrong with her car and if it'll be pricey to fix?
Thanks so much for yalls help,
okay guys I finally got a code. So after this latest issue all three lights flashed again and the only codes appearing was a P0500. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? Any idea on costs?
Old 03-10-17, 08:07 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

The TCM uses the vehicle speed signal to determine the actual gear position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear). DTC P0500 is a Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" problem. So...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
48.pdf (141.8 KB, 345 views)
Old 03-10-17, 08:22 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nevernu
The TCM uses the vehicle speed signal to determine the actual gear position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear). DTC P0500 is a Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" problem. So...
Thanks so much for your help. I hope this resolves the issue and it's not actually a tranny problem. Would this problem get worse after the car has been driven a while? It only ever appears after the car has been driven over an hour or so.
Old 03-11-17, 06:49 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

i hear people use the word shift flare can someone explain what this is what it means for the shift flare ?
Old 03-11-17, 07:49 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i hear people use the word shift flare can someone explain what this is what it means for the shift flare ?
im not as knowledgeable as some on the subject , but In my circumstances it is just a hard switch between the gears that acts as a flare so to speak.
Old 03-11-17, 10:30 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

im not as knowledgeable as some on the subject , but In my circumstances it is just a hard switch between the gears that acts as a flare so to speak.
So kind of like in the winter when its 10 degree out or lower mine would have some times where it would really rev up like i could sometimes red line before it would switch gears when driving in Auto Mode. but as soon as it got warmed up after a few miles it would be fine.
But this only happens in the winter time is this what your saying
or if this where a flare would it happen all year long no matter what the outside conditions are ?
Old 03-11-17, 02:17 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
So kind of like in the winter when its 10 degree out or lower mine would have some times where it would really rev up like i could sometimes red line before it would switch gears when driving in Auto Mode. but as soon as it got warmed up after a few miles it would be fine.
But this only happens in the winter time is this what your saying
or if this where a flare would it happen all year long no matter what the outside conditions are ?
Yes, I think this would qualify as a flare, but other could probably give you a better explanation.

Quick Reply: Help! Es350 trans issue