ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Installing HID's

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 07:31 PM
wvk14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing HID's

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to install them on our cars? How involved is this?
Old 10-10-16, 09:35 PM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't installed them in my wife's Lexus as it came with them from the factory. I did install a set of Morimoto's in my Infiniti a couple of years ago purchased from the Retrofit Source. They are highly reviewed on the Infiniti forum. I ended up with the 5000K 55 watt set and just followed their online instructions. It took a couple of hours and they've worked flawlessly since installing them. I did a lot of research and found the HiDplanet site to be useful. It is interesting that many people on their site don't support the installation of aftermarket HID's due to light cutoff problems - which blind other drivers. I haven't had that problem with mine and only once did someone flash their lights at me and that was at a weird intersection where I was sitting about a foot higher on my corner than the other driver was sitting and my headlights were aimed right at his windshield.
Old 10-11-16, 07:37 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The installation process is not that involved. The hardest part will be getting the damn bulb out in the first place. The only other difficulty will be finding a good place to strap the ballast too. You can usually find a good video or two on You Tube for your particular brand of bulb.

As for the glare, I don't know how well the ES350's halogen projector housing will hold up with a HID bulb in. For this reason, I opted to use another halogen bulb as a replacement. I used a set of Sylvania ZXE bulbs and so far haven't been disappointed.
Old 10-11-16, 11:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Xenon Depot is a vendor that advertises and participates here. They provide instructions. There are some good reviews of their products.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-lighting.html
Old 10-12-16, 05:47 PM
glostix
Driver School Candidate

You need an H7 HID kit such as from DDMTuning or that one popular cheap brand on Amazon, or look on eBay/etc.
You will also need H7 bulb adapters (sometimes advertised as "for Mazda"). Kits do *NOT* come with these adapters included in the price. You will have to buy them separately, you can get them for like $4-7 on Amazon/eBay etc.

Install is relatively simple. I 3M double-sided taped one of the ballasts to the fuse box cover, another to the side of the fuel pump or something.
The non-HID projector lenses are pretty good, look clean and sexy with a slightly aquamarine glow (8K), you can go for more of a factory OEM look with 4.3-6K.
Old 10-15-16, 11:21 AM
wvk14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by glostix
You need an H7 HID kit such as from DDMTuning or that one popular cheap brand on Amazon, or look on eBay/etc.
You will also need H7 bulb adapters (sometimes advertised as "for Mazda"). Kits do *NOT* come with these adapters included in the price. You will have to buy them separately, you can get them for like $4-7 on Amazon/eBay etc.

Install is relatively simple. I 3M double-sided taped one of the ballasts to the fuse box cover, another to the side of the fuel pump or something.
The non-HID projector lenses are pretty good, look clean and sexy with a slightly aquamarine glow (8K), you can go for more of a factory OEM look with 4.3-6K.
I had a local shop quote me 270 installed, does that sound like too much?
Old 10-15-16, 11:49 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

I have Kensun 35W all over and they are flawless.
The ballast for the right side is glued (with double-sided tape) on the ABS pump, on the other side it's glued on the white silencer which is located under the battery.