ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Still the best riding car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 08:06 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
We just came back from a long weekend attending a wedding in Gloucester Ma. This was all highway driving (75-80 mph) on very good roads. This 2010 with 43K miles on it is still the most comfortable and quiet car I've ever had.
How do you find the thigh support under neath your knees? On most Lexus models, I find it extremely lacking support, especially for long distance drives.

I used to have a 4ES and the thigh support was pretty bad. Looking for a 5ES now and would like to know if its similar. I don't have this issue on my Solara or Accord, as the seat cushions are long enough.

Originally Posted by glostix
Yeah no secret the 5th gen ES is smoother riding than the current model. We test drove the new one and skipped it, decided on a GS actually because the ES just felt so cheapened with low quality materials, pleather, harsher ride, etc.

Dunno if it's the inevitable trend of capitalism (cheaper goods, cut corners, etc.) or if it's the trend towards more "sporty" Lexuses, but the same has been true of the current LS compared to a couple generations ago.

What other cars on the market can compare? Hesitant to branch out to the Germans because of their questionable reliability.
I couldn't agree with you more! I think the 4ES had the best quality interior of all the ES series. It went downhill with the 5ES slightly, and even worse with the 6ES. Toyota / Lexus is really cutting corners on quality, refinement, and true luxury. Look how they spoiled the Avalon's smooth comfy ride in the name of a "sportier" driving dynamic. The Avalon had its own place in the full sized sedan market, as the smooth, comfortable, practical and reliable choice. It can't compete against a "4 door sports car" Maxima.

The ES was always seen as the baby LS, being having elegant, but understated luxury, and a smooth quiet ride. Being based on the Camry platform made it even cheaper for consumers to own, which is why it became Lexus's top selling sedan.

Honestly I think the only other cars that provide smooth comfy rides might be a Buick - that is if they still make them like they used to!
Old 08-27-16, 05:59 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I seem to recall when I bought my 07 ES it came with an adjustable front seat bolster which had more leg support. They made for an easy long drive. I only think they had that option for a year or two . My 2010 seats are not the same but don't seem to be an issue on long drives but then again we usually switch driving chores so the leg fatigue isn't a problem. It's old age that causes issues on a long drive. Also I'm a user if CC so that takes a lot of pressure off of your legs.
Old 08-27-16, 07:18 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I have both a 14 GS and an 11 ES. The ES is a smoother, quieter ride. The GS is more German level sporty. Stiffer suspension and more fun to drive.

Both are great cars, but the GS is a much finer car in the spirit of BMW, MB, Audi.
Old 08-28-16, 05:38 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying3
I have both a 14 GS and an 11 ES. The ES is a smoother, quieter ride. The GS is more German level sporty. Stiffer suspension and more fun to drive.

Both are great cars, but the GS is a much finer car in the spirit of BMW, MB, Audi.
When I 1st started looking I tried the brands you listed along with the GS. I came to the same conclusion but I was looking for the cruiser and not to concerned about handling. That's why we wanted the ES over the GS or the others. It's all in what your needs are.
Old 08-28-16, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The 16 refresh of the current gen ES improved the ride, added more sound deadening and improved a lot of the interior material downgrades. MUCH better car than the 13-15 ES. I upgraded to the GS from my 2010 ES because I wasn't happy with the 13 ES. If the 16 ES had been what was out in 2013 I almost surely would have stayed with the ES.

I had a 16 ES as a loaner, almost as smooth and quiet as my LS. For half the price that's pretty darn good.

So I would definitely drive the 16 ES.

Other great riding options are the Hyundai Genesis (which will be the Genesis G80), I would look at the Kia Cadenza also. The new Buick LaCrosse for sure.