ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any info on Takata airbag recall...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 08:37 AM
BGElliott
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Arizona and we are Zone C of the recall. I just talked to my service writer at Lexus and he told me we are looking at about mid 2017 for my car. We shall see if it happens that soon. I received my recall notice in March of 2016.

I have moments where I freak out a bit but then when I take a breath and look at the statistics and odds, It's probably just as likely that I will get hit by a bus stepping off of a curb!
The following users liked this post:
topanga (12-14-16)
Old 12-16-16, 09:29 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it's true.

1. You'd have to get in an accident
2. It would have to be the type of accident in which your airbag deploys
3. Your airbag would have to be one of the bad ones

Unlikelihood on top of unlikelihood...
Old 12-16-16, 02:32 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

My Dealer is telling me that its exspected that Zone A vechiles will start to get the recalls completed sometime end in Jan or Feb and should be completed by end of the first quarter of 2017 for zone A's however he also said that since he only has 3 cars that are Zone A's mine included there is a chance mine will be one of the last ones to get completed.

i am happy thought right now in my hertz rental car that lexus is paying for
Cjet (02-13-17)
Old 01-22-17, 10:02 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

they have recently officially recalled them in Canada, more info to follow when they have the program in place
The following 3 users liked this post by nevernu:
Cjet (02-13-17), jkayca (01-22-17), topanga (01-23-17)
Old 02-01-17, 12:21 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

so i just called Lexus Customer care today for an update and asked them if there was any other word on whats going on with airbag parts
for the recal of the 07 ES350 for my car zone A
the customer care reps exact words where im going to be honest with you
we don't have any time frame specific for this.
with only 2 airbag companys makeing airbags now there is no exact time frame not even a 2 year window just said there is no news on when

i am thinking not that it will do any good but perhaps maybe lexus might take me up on it was thinking id wright corporat lexus toyota company a letter asking them if i where to put the money towards a new lexus if they would just by mine out from me if they take 15k off a new lexus vehicle id spend another 15k to buy a new one even though tthats over Market value for my car by 4,000 dollars they will spend twie that on rental vehcile
The following 3 users liked this post by ThumperPup:
Cjet (02-13-17), Conyersmom (02-08-17), topanga (02-01-17)
Old 02-08-17, 09:56 AM
Conyersmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been driving a rental since October 15th at Lexus' expense. I have teenagers that sit in the passenger seat. I also have a 15 year old who is learning how to drive. No way was I going to sit in the passenger seat for that! I started shopping the site of my nearest Lexus dealership today. They just called me and I asked about diminished value on my trade-in. He said the airbags affected all car manufacturers so diminished value does not apply. HA! I said I am sick of driving my Hyundai rental and I want my Lexus back. I cannot understand how they think it is cheaper to rent a car for me for 4 months now and possibly longer than to cut a deal on a newer Lexus.
topanga (02-08-17)
Old 02-08-17, 11:24 AM
topanga
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"He said the airbags affected all car manufacturers so diminished value does not apply."

I say, B.S. to that! Plenty of cars are not included in the recall, and you are correct; a recall like this it makes it more difficult to sell a car without having to discount it.

A company with the resources of Toyota could have easily manufactured their own dam* air bag inflators and could have repaired all of these cars long ago - but apparently they haven't feel any pressing need to do so. Shameful!

-Jack
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 02-13-17, 03:01 PM
Cjet
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by topanga
"He said the airbags affected all car manufacturers so diminished value does not apply."

I say, B.S. to that! Plenty of cars are not included in the recall, and you are correct; a recall like this it makes it more difficult to sell a car without having to discount it.

A company with the resources of Toyota could have easily manufactured their own dam* air bag inflators and could have repaired all of these cars long ago - but apparently they haven't feel any pressing need to do so. Shameful!

-Jack
Amen brother!
I don't think Lexus is moving fast enough on this, and won't unless pressed.
After no news despite it being the middle of Feb now, and from the previous posts where there is no idea of when a fix will happen, I decided to call these people http://langferrer.com/toyota-lexus-airbag-litigation/
to find out the status of their class action suit. Line was busy, so I filled out their info request.
I will report back when I hear more. Lexus, you have really handled this poorly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cjet:
kbyer (03-02-17), topanga (02-13-17)
Old 02-13-17, 03:49 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

OK, so I'll weigh in...

I actually inherited my '07 ES from my Mom when she passed back in July of last year. My Dad would only buy 'murican cars, but when he died suddenly in '07, I pretty much made her trade in her AWFUL '04 Lincoln LS to get into a new Lexus (I had a '98 ES at the time). I negotiated the trade for both of their cars, the price she paid, I even wrote the check for the car, it was a great day, and she was very grateful, loved the car. Bought it from Lexus of Towson MD, they were great to work with and I felt good knowing they would take care of her and the car, since I live 500 miles away, and they did.

I got the recall letter from Lexus while I was in MD taking care of her, so it was very low priority, filed it away. We got the car up to NH and all registered, I'm the only person that drives it, my wife rarely rides with me, so I sorta figured I'd forget about it, I was planning on having a few dings and dents repaired, then probably trade it in for something a little newer, maybe a GX, probably this summer.

Then on Dec 11th my wife fell while getting onto a horse, and shattered her tibia. She's been in a wheelchair since, and probably has 4-6 weeks to go. She won't be able to drive until June. So now the car that I was planning to park for the winter (it's a 3rd vehicle for us) is her only means of getting around, she can't get up into the Highlander. I called my closest dealer to chat about the conflict of her riding in the passenger seat, see what they say. I'm conflicted about making demands for a loaner car or a rental, the dealer is over an hour away, and honestly I don't want the hassle. I don't want another car in my driveway to clear snow around. I spoke to the service manager last week, he made some calls, he called me back, he was actually very nice. He says that the northern zone is simply not a problem, as they estimate that the propellant has an expected age of at least 20 years before the deterioration becomes an issue in this climate. He couldn't actually say "go ahead and let her ride in the passenger seat, it's not a problem", but it was as far as he could go. I reminded him that this car actually spent 9 of it's years in Maryland, where the climate is much warmer and more humid. He suggested I call Lexus Consumer Service, he gave me a number to call, he said that since I have a medical reason that the car is needed, they would probably do something. I don't want a loaner/rental. I mostly want to get some answers about WHEN this will be fixed.

My biggest gripe is the loss of value. Nobody will give me anything for this car until the airbag is replaced. Nobody will want to buy it. But, I doubt Lexus will be able to compensate me for this.

I still believe Lexus builds the best value in luxury vehicles, and will only buy them for the foreseeable future. This is my 3rd ES, and all of them have been amazingly trouble-free. I don't feel like Lexus owes me anything, and I don't blame them for this debacle (well... not fully). As has been said, other brands are in the same situation. I kinda wish the press would get ahold of this and make it an issue, but given the other stories that that doofus in the White House keeps making, it's not likely.
Old 02-13-17, 06:14 PM
topanga
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey KLF, Sorry about your wife. I hope she recovers soon.

I love my ES too, but I see this as a double-whammy by Toyota-Lexus against their loyal customers:

1.) As you point out, they are not compensating us for the loss of value caused by their unrepairable (so far), and potentially deadly defect, and
2.) They are unnecessarily prolonging that loss (and risk): Toyota, one of the largest manufacturers in the world, could easily have made the replacement parts themselves and fixed all our cars long ago. Instead, just to save money, they're waiting for little Takata to replace the parts. Will Takata ever will catch up? They could just close their doors and go out of business. Then what?

Instead of this dithering, Toyota-Lexus should have just fixed our cars themselves. Then they could have sought reimbursement from Takata for the expense.

Put the customer first - what a concept!
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 02-13-17, 10:07 PM
dlin95123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus is still making new 2017 cars. Apparently, they have all the airbags they need for these new cars. I don't believe Lexus will do anything for us if it may hurt their profit. Would calling NHTSA or other government departments may help?
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 02-16-17, 02:27 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think perhaps replacements are being focused on Honda since that is where the problem appears to have originated. We were able to get the passenger airbag in my wife's Pilot replaced recently. It was very easy. Not sure why the supply for other cars is taking so long and I doubt that info will ever come out...it would sound like they had decided to prioritize one group's safety over another's.
Old 02-16-17, 02:43 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i got lexus to agree to pay for my storage fees so they are now paying 75 a month for storage
Old 02-16-17, 04:13 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...lah2alofaq.pdf

Looks like they are rolling out the recalls now on the IS models. What is mysterious to me is they are still showing "TBD" on the MOST popular model they have sold, based on sales numbers in this document.
Old 02-18-17, 07:35 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Now that they seem to have the parts rolling in for the IS Models.
I really wonder how much longer for the ES. models

Quick Reply: Any info on Takata airbag recall...