ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any info on Takata airbag recall...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 01:47 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on Takata airbag recall...

Has anyone heard whether any of the ES350 vehicles are in the recent and ongoing airbag recall?
Thanks!
Old 07-01-16, 03:25 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

I think the front passenger airbag is Takata made and it will be recalled.
Old 07-01-16, 04:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

http://www.toyota.com/recall
Old 07-03-16, 03:52 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Curious ... shouldn't we be getting notice from Lexus?

Last edited by Lexi66; 07-03-16 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Posted in error
Old 07-03-16, 03:59 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Why aren't we getting formal recall notices?
Old 07-03-16, 04:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Why aren't we getting formal recall notices?
Did you enter your VIN and the site said your car was subject to one?
Old 07-04-16, 06:26 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The recall is being done in waves because so many cars are affected. So don't panic if you haven't got a notice yet or your vehicle is not showing up on the Toyota website.
Old 07-16-16, 10:55 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Received my Interim Notice today which says "Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this problem". It goes on to say, "Until the remedy becomes available, we recommend that you do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat".

Leaving wifey at home for a while
Old 07-26-16, 10:13 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I received my notice a few days ago. It included the May 23, 2016 interim notice from Toyota. There is a more recent notice dated July 16, 2016 that is available online that gives more info on the roll out of the recall based on your location and car model/year. The PDF of the notice is available at the link below. That link may get updated in the future. I have also attached the PDF.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...2gg2hlofaq.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
g2gg2hlofaq.pdf (770.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-26-16, 03:10 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by codejd
Received my Interim Notice today which says "Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this problem". It goes on to say, "Until the remedy becomes available, we recommend that you do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat".
I got the same notice a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-28-16, 02:00 PM
Cjet
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Has anyone heard whether any of the ES350 vehicles are in the recent and ongoing airbag recall?
Thanks!
Got mail notice last week, called today and their reply, "We are waiting on parts, you will get another mail notification when we have a solution". When will that be? "We don't know yet". Great.... How about a removal fix for dyi'ers so we can use the front seat, morons? Thanks putting me and my family at risk by cutting corners and then trying to hide it Toyota. My next car won't be Toyota, thats for sure.
Old 07-28-16, 02:59 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Guys, don't get upset. 10 years since those cars are in service and novody got injured because of the takata.
Old 07-29-16, 07:36 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Guys, don't get upset. 10 years since those cars are in service and novody got injured because of the takata.
You might be right be right if your referring to Lexus. I have no reports indicating such. What I have found was a report by Consumer Reports date July 1st, that says 10 people and over 100 injuries related to the Takata airbag recall. This involves over 100 million vehicles from 14 different automakers manufactured between 2002-2015. Go figure. We shouldn`t be concerned about getting this fixed PDQ. Where the heck are you going to make that many so quick and get them replaced? I`m with you Ljekses, give it a rest.
Old 07-29-16, 01:48 PM
Cjet
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetguy
You might be right be right if your referring to Lexus. I have no reports indicating such. What I have found was a report by Consumer Reports date July 1st, that says 10 people and over 100 injuries related to the Takata airbag recall. This involves over 100 million vehicles from 14 different automakers manufactured between 2002-2015. Go figure. We shouldn`t be concerned about getting this fixed PDQ. Where the heck are you going to make that many so quick and get them replaced? I`m with you Ljekses, give it a rest.
Give it a rest??? Well lets see..."To date, there have been 10 deaths and more than 100 injuries due to this problem in the U.S. NHTSA has determined the root cause of the problem - the airbag’s inflator, a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers, which in some cases has ignited with explosive force. If the inflator housing ruptures in a crash, metal shards from the airbag can be sprayed throughout the passenger cabin—a potentially disastrous outcome from a supposedly life-saving device. As postulated early on, environmental moisture, high temperatures, and age as associated with the defect that can improperly inflate the airbags and even send shrapnel into the occupant." from http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...call/index.htm

Tetguy and Ljekses may want to play russian roulette with their and their families/friends lives, but I do not. If you use the front passenger seat, this is what you are doing. Period. And the older the car, the more likely it is to happen. Toyota should at least offer to remove the airbags until they do make enough replacements, or offer a dyi fix. This is not acceptable Toyota, and the Takata/Toyota shills like Tetguy spouting off to not worry because the chances are low that this will happen is unacceptable. Maybe if more people would have taken responsibility and not downplayed the issue early on it wouldn't be the problem it is today. Get your *hit together Toyota.
Old 07-29-16, 10:49 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the whole report.. Don`t just pick an excerpt. Off hand, have you ever been or know of anybody being struck by lightning? The odds are 1 in 12,000 will be struck before they are 80 according to the US National Weather Service. From your grade 5 math analysis, I strongly recommend that you stay in your house ,and never bother to go out of it unless you go directly into your Lexus. 10 deaths and 100 injuries in over 100 million vehicles from over 14 automakers in 14 years using,Takata air bags. Has it sunk in yet?. I`m not fully endorsing Takata by any means but ,what is your solution to come up with the appropriate number of airbags for 100 million vehicles in a short time span? Oh yes, you recommend Lexus Toyota to recall all vehicles and remove the airbags until the appropriate ones are available.Has any of the other 13 manufacturers offered this? I seriously doubt it. I would rather take my chances and wait.
In your link to Consumer Reports, READ the paragraph ' Putting the dangers in perspective' it states " The Department of Transportation estimates that between 1987 and 2012, frontal airbags have saved 37,000 lives." Verses 10 people who have died. You can bet some of both may have been Takata and I like my chances. Not Russian roulette Some solutions I have for you are sell it ,and buy an Austin Mini as.it hasn`t made the list.... yet......buy a Tesla.....and wait 8 to 10 years......or read and try to comprehend the whole report.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (10-31-17)

Quick Reply: Any info on Takata airbag recall...