ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My 07 ES350 Pulls to the left.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 06:44 PM
jerseydan3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 07 ES350 Pulls to the left.....

Hello Folks,

new here! Wanted to say hello!

Bought 3 months ago an 07 ES350 (car has 65K miles). Love the car. It has a few quirks that I'm trying to address.

One of them is the car is pulling to the left (mainly at high speeds/highway). Tried these things with no success:

- balanced all tires and also rotate them.....this made a little difference but not enough. I need to keep the steering wheel about 5 degrees to the right in order to have the car go straight

- 4 wheel alignment (at PEP BOYS.....not sure how good/honest they are)

- my mechanic suggested that this was due to tires pulling to the left....so I bit the bullet and bought 4 new tires.....now the pull to the left is actually worse. Old tires had a good amount of tread but where getting old and hard.

PEPBOYS wanted to replace my front suspension. They've noticed that the shock on one side is slightly leaking.

WHAT CAN I DO/TRY? HELP!!!

THX!
Old 06-06-15, 09:25 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pepboys doing work on your car? No thank you. First thing I would do is go to a REAL shop and verify that they did an actual alignment. I personally wouldn't trust a Pepboys to change my tires, let alone do work on my car. That's just me, though.

Have you verified the height is equal on both sides of the car, that it's not leaning to one side? Take a tape measure and measure from the ground to the top of the fender opening and see if the numbers are fairly equal.
Old 06-07-15, 05:45 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Check the tire pressure and state of the front tires. You have to do an alignment I think.
Old 06-07-15, 06:51 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I too had the same issue and after checking all major and minor components from tire pressure to suspension and all the things you have mentioned . I noticed that there was little bit of power steering fluid leaking so after checking I noticed that the return pressure steering hose was leaking. The dealer fixed it and now the car is perfectly straight. Yup that pressure hose leak caused the fluctuation in pressure and caused the steering to go crazy.. You can try checking yours. Also check your suspension components. What kind of new tires did you put on
Old 06-07-15, 11:34 AM
jerseydan3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imherenow
Well I too had the same issue and after checking all major and minor components from tire pressure to suspension and all the things you have mentioned . I noticed that there was little bit of power steering fluid leaking so after checking I noticed that the return pressure steering hose was leaking. The dealer fixed it and now the car is perfectly straight. Yup that pressure hose leak caused the fluctuation in pressure and caused the steering to go crazy.. You can try checking yours. Also check your suspension components. What kind of new tires did you put on
THX everyone for your reply! I'll have my mechanic check the things stated above (power steering system all of my suspension). I'll go ahead and measure the car height on both sides (all 4 wheel wells).

Yes I've been stiffed by Pepboys in the past and just wanted to get another set of eyes on the car. The alignment from them was not too bad (90 out the door). It did make a slight difference with the old tires. But now I'll have my personal mechanic perform the alignment with the new tires and see if that makes any difference or not.

The tires I've purchased are on the cheap side (MileStar). Came with a 50K mile warranty and were not that bad on the price (90 each installed). Not by PepBoys....another local tire shop. They do ride better than the old/worn Michelins.

The old ones where Michelins from 2010. Had ok tread but were getting hard and cracking since the car was owned by an older couple that did not use it that much. Tires did not look good. I did observe that they has uneven wear on one said of each tire...so it was time for them to go!

THX everyone for your prompt reply. I'll go ahead and perform the things mentioned by all of your and I'll get back with you. Give me 1-2 weeks for me to complete everything.

I also have the dreaded piston slap, so I'm going to try some Amsoil Oil to see what that does.

Take care and YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

Besides this, I love my car and want to keep it. Had a 08 BMW 328i. It drove nice, but the parts were too expensive and the car started to become unreliable.

BTW, my ES350 is an 07 with 63K miles. Ultra package with Mark Levinson Audio and Panoramic Roof. Dark Gray with light gray interior and Navigation (which software was never updated). Paid 13K for the car (which I think is a fair price for it's condition).

Mark Levinson subwoofer is shot, don't want to buy the same one since it's too expensive. Looking to buy a generic sub to replace it (if anyone has any suggestions on what to replace it with, please let me know).

Car had a decent CARFAX (clean title that had a minor accident...no airbags.....no disabled vehicle).

All recalls where performed by Lexus Dealers in West Palm Peach and Margate, FL.

Also Lexus will send me the letter to replace the dash for free since it looks like the front of it has become a puddle of goo!

Take care and thx again guys!

:-)
Old 06-07-15, 11:35 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you have a print out of your alignment? It should show you everything...
Old 06-08-15, 10:44 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Mark Levinson subwoofer is shot, don't want to buy the same one since it's too expensive. Looking to buy a generic sub to replace it (if anyone has any suggestions on what to replace it with, please let me know).
Shot how? Burnt coil or deteriorating foam surround? Re-foaming is easy. I spent less than $40 to refoam 8 speakers (four 6.5" and four 15") from the 1990's.

If you need a replacement and are connecting it to the factory amp then I need to know the size and impedance. I had the standard sound system but replaced the head unit, front door speakers and added a sub/amp (12" custom driver / 1,000w PowerBase amp).