ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Just got new tires! mxv4s!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,842 Posts

I've had enough Bridgestone and Michelin tires to always choose the Michelins even if they cost a little more, lets just put it that way...

There is no way after 6 years your alignment isn't off. You may not have symptoms, but improper alignment is causing premature tire wear, reduced fuel economy, and accelerated component wear. As someone who takes good care of their car, just the idea that something might be wrong is enough for me to have it done when I pop $700+ on a set of tires.
Old 09-26-12, 09:13 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I've had enough Bridgestone and Michelin tires to always choose the Michelins even if they cost a little more, lets just put it that way...

There is no way after 6 years your alignment isn't off. You may not have symptoms, but improper alignment is causing premature tire wear, reduced fuel economy, and accelerated component wear. As someone who takes good care of their car, just the idea that something might be wrong is enough for me to have it done when I pop $700+ on a set of tires.
Maybe I just drive really slow and good lol. I am not rich so after spending $720 I really rather not spend any more money on something I *might* not need. You are willing to spend money on something you might not need for the peace of mind. That isn't me. Again I have no driving problems and my tires from what I can tell, wore pretty evenly.

Boy if I can get lifetime alignment for 150ish I would be all over that haha. and BTW I gotta believe there is a 2 times a year limit on that right?

Last edited by cl206; 09-26-12 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Problem is the way you realize that you did actually need it is when the $720 you spent on tires gets thrown out the window because they wear unevenly, cup, or scallop. You said yourself you only got 27k miles out of a set of tires that should have gotten you 40k miles+. Thats reason enough to check your alignment right there

Foolish, IMHO...but its your car. To everyone else...get an alignment.
Old 09-27-12, 03:05 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Problem is the way you realize that you did actually need it is when the $720 you spent on tires gets thrown out the window because they wear unevenly, cup, or scallop. You said yourself you only got 27k miles out of a set of tires that should have gotten you 40k miles+. Thats reason enough to check your alignment right there

Foolish, IMHO...but its your car. To everyone else...get an alignment.
Do a search about the michelin S8 and you will see they are not rated very favorably. I did rotate them regularly but I doubt if I had aligned them twice a year I would have gotten 40k out of them. My wallet would have been lighter for sure! They appeared to have worn evenly like I mentioned before.

In the meantime, I will see how the new tires wear. BTW you might want to do a search about alignments after getting new tires and you would be surprised at what you find. It might be foolish not to get an alignment with new tires, but imho it is more foolish to spend money on something you don't need and that is very easy to do when taking a car to the shop. I suggest people make up their own decisions.

Last edited by cl206; 09-27-12 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 08:31 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cl206
Jcat if you diy most of ur maintenance, why did you mention ur mech doing the oil change and alignment? If this was for ur mbenz, do you mind if I ask how much the oil change and alignment were b/c if it was more than $200 then I will understand why we think differently. Also I guess I might as well kindly ask how much are you then paying for alignments on a yearly basis? Thanks!
oil change and alignment i mentioned were for my mercedes, my stepmom's mercedes, and my father's A8 (nightmare to work on).

The reason I had the mech do it on the E500 is that he charged me ~$150 for oil change, cabin filter, and a once over on the whole car. It takes 8.5qt of full synthetic 0w40 @ ~$9 per qt and a $25 filter, amounting to $106. A cabin filter costs $30, totalling $136. He also topped off washer fluid for me and double checked the alignment. For the extra $15 it was worth it to not have to break out the ramps and spend most of my day (I prefer taking my time) and also go out into the shop and take a look at the underside of the car myself while it was on the lift (google around on the 'airmatic' suspension system and the 'SBC' or 'Sensatronic Brake Control'...you'll see why I wanted to check her out on the lift). I would not recommend doing much DIY maintenance on any MBZ product newer than 2003 unless you have an extensive tool set and the elusive $7-900 STAR SDS diagnostic system to reset maintenance lights and such. As great as those cars are, it's one of the few times I'd recommend leaving it to the pros.

With the ES, a big jug of full synthetic 5w30 and an OE oil filter will run me $40...and a cabin filter maybe another $15? Yeah, I think I'll spend the hour (if that) doing it myself rather than spending the extra $20-30 at my mech or extra $40-50 at a jiffy lube type place.

I don't usually spend more than $100 per year on alignments. Typically only done after new tires, suspension parts, or knowing I've hit a big pothole/bump and feeling her pulling or otherwise not driving straight. I try to get it done once in the spring and once in the fall, but that's mostly because the roads in RI are absolutely horrific.

Last edited by jcat_350; 09-27-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 09:05 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
oil change and alignment i mentioned were for my mercedes, my stepmom's mercedes, and my father's A8 (nightmare to work on).

The reason I had the mech do it on the E500 is that he charged me ~$150 for oil change, cabin filter, and a once over on the whole car. It takes 8.5qt of full synthetic 0w40 @ ~$9 per qt and a $25 filter, amounting to $106. A cabin filter costs $30, totalling $136. He also topped off washer fluid for me and double checked the alignment. For the extra $15 it was worth it to not have to break out the ramps and spend most of my day (I prefer taking my time) and also go out into the shop and take a look at the underside of the car myself while it was on the lift (google around on the 'airmatic' suspension system and the 'SBC' or 'Sensatronic Brake Control'...you'll see why I wanted to check her out on the lift). I would not recommend doing much DIY maintenance on any MBZ product newer than 2003 unless you have an extensive tool set and the elusive $7-900 STAR SDS diagnostic system to reset maintenance lights and such. As great as those cars are, it's one of the few times I'd recommend leaving it to the pros.

With the ES, a big jug of full synthetic 5w30 and an OE oil filter will run me $40...and a cabin filter maybe another $15? Yeah, I think I'll spend the hour (if that) doing it myself rather than spending the extra $20-30 at my mech or extra $40-50 at a jiffy lube type place.

I don't usually spend more than $100 per year on alignments. Typically only done after new tires, suspension parts, or knowing I've hit a big pothole/bump and feeling her pulling or otherwise not driving straight. I try to get it done once in the spring and once in the fall, but that's mostly because the roads in RI are absolutely horrific.
Thanks for sharing! I guess we each do things slightly differently. BTW I use regular shell 5w30 oil (from costco and they also have the best prices on synthetic) and not synthetic. I respect and understand people use that, but unless the manual calls for it I am sticking with regular 5w-30.

BTW let me ask your opinion on this though. The last time I did my oil change on the es350 was Feb of this year and since then I have put on only 2600 miles. My honda accord and mdx are my daily driver but with the new tires I might drive it more. When would you suggest I change my oil? I am thinking October maybe..

Thanks!
Old 09-27-12, 09:12 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Thanks for sharing! I guess we each do things slightly differently. BTW I use regular shell 5w30 oil (from costco and they also have the best prices on synthetic) and not synthetic. I respect and understand people use that, but unless the manual calls for it I am sticking with regular 5w-30.

BTW let me ask your opinion on this though. The last time I did my oil change on the es350 was Feb of this year and since then I have put on only 2600 miles. My honda accord and mdx are my daily driver but with the new tires I might drive it more. When would you suggest I change my oil? I am thinking October maybe..

Thanks!
I personally use synthetic because in my previous Lexus, after a couple oil sample tests and cutting open a filter (granted the car had ~130k on it), I determined I could stretch a 5qt oil change more like 6k-6500 miles. With dino oil, I would at least check it at 3500, and change no later than 5000. Given you've only done 2600 miles but it's been 7 months, I'd recommend a change before you start putting more mileage on it, and also given that the colder months are coming. Dino oil tends to break down and sludge-ify (my own personal favorite word for these dicussions) faster due to the shorter life of the organic compounds, so time is more of a factor than with synthetics. Given that the dino oil (for the moment) is probably cheaper, you don't have much to lose. I personally would rather spend $40 for about 6 months worth of daily driving (~1k mi per month) than spend $25 and only get 3-4 months out of it. $80 per year vs $100. Again, a small difference, but there's also the time investment of doing 3-4 oil changes per year vs 2 of them.

The nice thing about the E500 is even though it was about a $150 oil change, with 8.5qt of full synthetic on board, I could usually get about 10-12k miles out of an oil change. One oil change per year is pretty nice. With those cars there's no such thing as a standard mileage interval....the car will tell you when it needs an oil change, any earlier and you're just wasting money.

I've owned 11 vehicles so far, ranging from a maxima, murano, three fords (2 mustangs, one a supercharged cobra...god do I miss it, and a fusion), two lexuses, two mercedes, a Land Rover (don't ask), and a Volvo (S60R...great car if it didn't break all the time)...I've found that just about any car can make it 4-5k on dino oil, and 6-7k on synthetic, variations accounted for with driving habits/style/mileage and also oil capacity.

Last edited by jcat_350; 09-27-12 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 11:13 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

I personally use synthetic because in my previous Lexus, after a couple oil sample tests and cutting open a filter (granted the car had ~130k on it), I determined I could stretch a 5qt oil change more like 6k-6500 miles. With dino oil, I would at least check it at 3500, and change no later than 5000. Given you've only done 2600 miles but it's been 7 months, I'd recommend a change before you start putting more mileage on it, and also given that the colder months are coming. Dino oil tends to break down and sludge-ify (my own personal favorite word for these dicussions) faster due to the shorter life of the organic compounds, so time is more of a factor than with synthetics. Given that the dino oil (for the moment) is probably cheaper, you don't have much to lose. I personally would rather spend $40 for about 6 months worth of daily driving (~1k mi per month) than spend $25 and only get 3-4 months out of it. $80 per year vs $100. Again, a small difference, but there's also the time investment of doing 3-4 oil changes per year vs 2 of them.

The nice thing about the E500 is even though it was about a $150 oil change, with 8.5qt of full synthetic on board, I could usually get about 10-12k miles out of an oil change. One oil change per year is pretty nice. With those cars there's no such thing as a standard mileage interval....the car will tell you when it needs an oil change, any earlier and you're just wasting money.

I've owned 11 vehicles so far, ranging from a maxima, murano, three fords (2 mustangs, one a supercharged cobra...god do I miss it, and a fusion), two lexuses, two mercedes, a Land Rover (don't ask), and a Volvo (S60R...great car if it didn't break all the time)...I've found that just about any car can make it 4-5k on dino oil, and 6-7k on synthetic, variations accounted for with driving habits/style/mileage and also oil capacity.
haha I had to laugh at myself b/c I didn't know what you meant by dino oil until I did a quick google. I actually just did an oil change for my sister's civic and I realized how much I actually enjoy doing oil changes lol. I might just go ahead and do the es350 oil change today then! Gives me a chance to use my tools. BTW I own all my 3 cars (original owner) and I don't plan on ever selling them. I hope to get as much miles out of them as I can. I do have an eye on a white m3 convertible when I hit my midlife crisis later in the future and the best part is my wife also likes that car!

thanks
Old 09-27-12, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BTW I own all my 3 cars (original owner) and I don't plan on ever selling them. I hope to get as much miles out of them as I can.
Yet you refuse to do an inexpensive routine alignment?!?
Old 09-27-12, 03:21 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Yet you refuse to do an inexpensive routine alignment?!?
Yep. If there are no problems I can see or feel, sorry nope. If you want to always get an alignment with a new set of tires, or more it's your option. You car your choice, my car, mine.
Old 09-27-12, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're probably a lost cause, but this goes to other people who may be reading this when searching.

If your goal is to keep cars long term and put as many miles on them as possible, you have to keep up on routine maintenance. If you wait until theres an issue you can "feel" or "see" you're waiting until the problem has gone too far, by the time you can feel a car being out of alignment...or by the time you see the signs of improper alignment (mainly tire wear) then damage has already been done to the tires, wheel bearings, suspension components, etc. Same as that you need to check or have your mechanic check suspension components, bushings, mounts, struts, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc for play and wear as a car ages whether you "feel or see" problems or not. These things progress so gradually that when you drive the car every day you won't notice the degradation.

Its like refusing to have your cholesterol checked until you have a heart attack from blocked arteries, well, perhaps a little less dramatic...but its not a logical way of doing things, and it will not help accomplish your goal of "getting as many miles out of your car as you can". I guarantee his alignment will be out if he had it checked, and that misalignment is absolutely causing premature tire wear, and premature wheel/hub/suspension component wear.
Old 09-27-12, 06:03 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Its like refusing to have your cholesterol checked until you have a heart attack from blocked arteries, well, perhaps a little less dramatic...
you sure it wouldn't be as dramatic? Head on into the 2GS forum and do a search for 'ball joints' and look at some of the pictures that come up that's what happens when you don't regularly have your alignment/suspension parts checked. The failure was almost always precluded by the car pulling to one side.

EDIT: Spoiler alert:

Old 09-27-12, 10:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you sure it wouldn't be as dramatic? Head on into the 2GS forum and do a search for 'ball joints' and look at some of the pictures that come up that's what happens when you don't regularly have your alignment/suspension parts checked. The failure was almost always precluded by the car pulling to one side.
Very good point...
Old 09-28-12, 05:36 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And an alignment, along with new tires, helps a lot in restoring that new car ride.
Old 09-28-12, 06:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There are times when you don't need an alignment with new tires.
Like in my case when I changed the factory tires with Primacy's MXV4's at less than 1000 miles.
I've had MXV4's installed on a Camry and a '10 ES.Great tires.

Quick Reply: Just got new tires! mxv4s!