ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Just got new tires! mxv4s!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 04:57 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just got new tires! mxv4s!

I had about 27k miles on my 07 es350 and the OEM tires were the michelin S8 were down to the 2/32 wear bars and when I did the penny test, barely touched lincoln's head.

Anyways I got quotes around and the best price was costco which had an instant 70 rebate (elsewhere you had to mail it in to get a prepaid card or something.) Total was 719.xx OTD.

I got the h rated 94H primacy mxv4 and costco initially tried to persuade me to go the v rated. They gave me the usual run around about this and that and the guy today even told me I might not get 5k miles out of them. Inside I was ROFLOL and was like I must look like an idiot! About the only way they will last only 5 k miles is if they put old tires on my car. I said, I'll take my chances. I have put the same h rated primacys on my honda accord and they have been great! Anyways, I asked him how much were the v rated and if they were in stock, and he was like it'll take 10 days to order them. WTF!
BTW I even called michelin directly earlier today and the nice lady on the phone says that they "would not recommend putting h rated on a car that came with v rated but that if there were no v rated available I can go with h rated." Again I was LOL inside. I mean what kind of talk was that?
I guess they don't want to lose business.

Anyways, the tires ride GREAT! Also I checked the manufacture date of the tire just to make sure they weren't like too old. Mine were made in the USA and had a date of 1412 which means they were made in the 14th week of this year. So not too bad!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by cl206; 09-25-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 08:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I love mine!
Old 09-26-12, 04:50 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The H rated tires cover you to 130 mph, while the V rated cover you to 149 mph. Watch your speed! LOL.....
Old 09-26-12, 07:29 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had MXV4's on my E500 4matic that I just traded for my ES. I also think (have to check) that's what's on the ES. I liked them, but they were a bit noisy and the ride wasn't super great as I remember it. On the E500 I had a set of Nitto Motivos that I got for free (through their tire sampling program) and those were awesome at about 50% cheaper than the michelins.

Regardless, good luck! Keep her aligned and the pressure right and those MXV4s will last a long time.
Old 09-26-12, 09:05 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Yep! Gotta make sure not to go 130mph

Costco doesn't do alignment and I also asked that same guy yesterday, "so I guess alignment isn't that important right." and he was like it is very important. So I was like how come they don't do it and he says he'll ask them, which he never got back to me with. My understanding is that if the car doesn't pull, drives fairly straight, an alignment isn't necessary. This is the first time I did not get an alignment but the car does drive straight and does not pull. Also, I am going to ask costco today if they do just balancing for my mdx whose tires weren't purchased from them. I got a feeling my costco knows what they are doing when it came to balancing and torqueing etc. The es350 drives so amazing right now.

Yes I actually have a pancake compressor and a torque wrench and am OCD about checking my pressure and lugnut specs monthly if not more. I have 3 cars so I need to do some things myself like even a rotation b/c I hate waiting an hour or more just for a rotation. I do it myself in like 15-30 min any time I want and I know they are torqued and rotated right.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-26-12, 09:19 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cl206
Yep! Gotta make sure not to go 130mph

Costco doesn't do alignment and I also asked that same guy yesterday, "so I guess alignment isn't that important right." and he was like it is very important. So I was like how come they don't do it and he says he'll ask them, which he never got back to me with. My understanding is that if the car doesn't pull, drives fairly straight, an alignment isn't necessary. This is the first time I did not get an alignment but the car does drive straight and does not pull. Also, I am going to ask costco today if they do just balancing for my mdx whose tires weren't purchased from them. I got a feeling my costco knows what they are doing when it came to balancing and torqueing etc. The es350 drives so amazing right now.

Yes I actually have a pancake compressor and a torque wrench and am OCD about checking my pressure and lugnut specs monthly if not more. I have 3 cars so I need to do some things myself like even a rotation b/c I hate waiting an hour or more just for a rotation. I do it myself in like 15-30 min any time I want and I know they are torqued and rotated right.

Thanks guys!
You should always get your alignment checked any time you get new tires. Typically, this is because the mileage interval that you're changing your tires at is approximately right for an alignment. With Lexus vehicles particularly, known to have some issues aligning the front end, a few times a year is a good idea. Something as simple as hitting a pothole can move your alignment minutely out of spec...do that a couple hundred times over the course of a few thousand miles and a couple oil changes later your outside edge is bald.

The car can drive perfectly straight but have slight camber/toe/caster issues that will lead to irregular tire wear.

I'd imagine costco doesn't do alignments because the expense of the equipment and what they'd have to charge for alignments to maintain their pricing model probably doesn't add up, dollars and cents wise.
Old 09-26-12, 01:39 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
You should always get your alignment checked any time you get new tires. Typically, this is because the mileage interval that you're changing your tires at is approximately right for an alignment. With Lexus vehicles particularly, known to have some issues aligning the front end, a few times a year is a good idea. Something as simple as hitting a pothole can move your alignment minutely out of spec...do that a couple hundred times over the course of a few thousand miles and a couple oil changes later your outside edge is bald.
You are right that I should get them checked but I should also go to the dentist 2-3 times a year, see my doctor every now and then etc, but unfortunately I don't. I have priorities in my life that are more important than checking my alignment haha. I have 3 cars and in the past 12 years total, this is the 5th new set of tires I have put on my cars. It is the first time I have not gotten an alignment with a new set of tires b/c everything feels right and I do want to know how long will it last as compared to my other tires. The cheapest place here where I live charges like 50 for a 4 wheel alignment. Mavis charges 80 (70 with a coupon) and you can imagine what the dealership charges. Like you said, hitting even a small pothole can move the alignment "minutely" out of spec. I have yet to find a very reputable shop, so I can imagine most shops will suggest I do it just cause I am "minutely" out of spec. A shop has NEVER told me "oh your specs are good, you don't need an alignment." With all due respect, I am not getting an alignment a few times a year because my specs are a little off. I can live with it.

My time is quite valuable as I am sure yours is as well but I almost dread going to a shop as much as the dentist lol. The latter I try to go at least once a year but unless I really have to go, I try to avoid the shop as much as possible. I guess you also go to the dentist 3-4 times a year . In the meantime I will check my PSI at least once or twice a month as well as the lugnuts and I religiously rotate my tires every 5k miles (not just front to back, but like the way nondirectionals are supposed to be.)

One last thing, I have owned and went thru several sets of tires and I have never gotten to the warranty limit. On average I get like 4 years and 40ish K miles. You might say "well of course, you don't get them aligned a few times a year." But if I did and spent a few hundred on alignments to get them to last 60-70k miles wouldn't that come out financially similar in the end and maybe more if they didn't even need them?

Last edited by cl206; 09-26-12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 02:09 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cl206
We have to agree to disagree here. I have 3 cars and in the past 12 years total, this is the 5th new set of tires I have put on my cars. It is the first time I have not gotten an alignment with a new set of tires b/c everything feels right and I do want to know how long will it last as compared to my other tires. The cheapest place here where I live charges like 50 for a 4 wheel alignment. Mavis charges 80 (70 with a coupon) and you can imagine what the dealership charges. Like you said, hitting even a small pothole can move the alignment "minutely" out of spec. I have yet to find a very reputable shop, so I can imagine most shops will suggest I do it just cause I am "minutely" out of spec. A shop has NEVER told me "oh your specs are good, you don't need an alignment." With all due respect, I am not getting an alignment a few times a year because my specs are a little off. I can live with it.

My time is quite valuable as I am sure yours is as well but I almost dread going to a shop as much as the dentist lol. The latter I try to go at least once a year but unless I really have to go, I try to avoid the shop as much as possible. I guess you also go to the dentist 3-4 times a year . In the meantime I will check my PSI at least once or twice a month as well as the lugnuts and I religiously rotate my tires every 5k miles (not just front to back, but like the way nondirectionals are supposed to be.)

One last thing, I have owned and went thru several sets of tires and I have never gotten to the warranty limit. On average I get like 4-5 years and 40-50K miles. You might say "well of course, you don't get them aligned a few times a year." But if I did and spent a few hundred on alignments to get them to last 60-70k miles wouldn't that come out financially similar in the end and maybe more if they didn't even need them?
Maybe you should rethink where you're taking the car for service then...my mechanic checks my alignment every time I bring a car in for service (mine or my family's cars) and if it needs it, he'll tell me. If not, he'll say leave it alone. Good on you for checking lug torque and tire pressure, but alignment is paramount to tire life. It's also a major factor in brake wear, fuel mileage, and suspension/steering wear and tear.

Let's say you spend 720 on a set of tires. You get 4 years and 40k miles out of them. This amounts to 180 per year.

Or you spend the same 720, pay 120 for lifetime alignments at firestone (I believe they're nationwide and there are other shops doing the same thing e.g. sears). Amounting to 840. You get 6 years/60k out of them, or 140 per year.

As for the potholes pushing you minutely out of spec, yes maybe once or twice hitting one will do that. But maybe it's just the northeast, I definitely hit potholes/bumps more than once or twice in a lifetime of tires.
Old 09-26-12, 02:32 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
Maybe you should rethink where you're taking the car for service then...my mechanic checks my alignment every time I bring a car in for service (mine or my family's cars) and if it needs it, he'll tell me. If not, he'll say leave it alone. Good on you for checking lug torque and tire pressure, but alignment is paramount to tire life. It's also a major factor in brake wear, fuel mileage, and suspension/steering wear and tear.

Let's say you spend 720 on a set of tires. You get 4 years and 40k miles out of them. This amounts to 180 per year.

Or you spend the same 720, pay 120 for lifetime alignments at firestone (I believe they're nationwide and there are other shops doing the same thing e.g. sears). Amounting to 840. You get 6 years/60k out of them, or 140 per year.

As for the potholes pushing you minutely out of spec, yes maybe once or twice hitting one will do that. But maybe it's just the northeast, I definitely hit potholes/bumps more than once or twice in a lifetime of tires.
Wow 2 things: 1) You are so lucky to have a trusty mechanic and 2) I have never heard of lifetime alignment! I guess you learn something new every day!
Now it all makes sense!

There is no firestone near me and I can't trust the sears near me. Oh the stories I have heard...

Also, I literally DIY all the fluids on my cars and do my own brakes/rotors etc. About the only thing I don't do DIY are timing belts. I am an adventurous DIYer and I guess that doesn't lend well to developing a relationship with a trusty mechanic.

The mech you were talking about, he is the one who has the lifetime alignment right? I guess that would make sense because he wouldn't make any more money from an alignment job. (I am not saying he isn't honest)

Also, many shops do offer free lifetime rotations but I have almost never used it since I DIY my maintenance and I just find it quicker to DIY rotations myself. I am only 37 but I am starting to realize what I really wanted to do in life LOL

BTW I just called the sears near me and they don't offer lifetime alignment. It is the one in Nanuet, NY
Costco does have free lifetime balancing and hole patch which I will most definitely use if I need them.

And for the record, I do believe an alignment is important but I rather not go to a shop just to check that only when my ride quality is so good.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by cl206; 09-26-12 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I would never put a set of tires on a car without getting a 4 wheel alignment...especially on a 5 year old car.
Old 09-26-12, 07:35 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

I wasn't saying go just for that, but when you put a set of tires on, it's always a good idea. Especially if you're saying you only do tires once every 4 years.

My mechanic is not the one that offers lifetime alignments. If I bring it in for an oil change, he checks it for me. If it needs it, he'll tell me, and I'll have him do it. Typically he has the oil change and alignment done in under an hour because he does my oil changes on the alignment rack knowing he's going to check it for me.

I DIY all my own maintenance for most of my cars ever since owning my 01 GS300 and this one will be no exception. I didn't mess with my 06 E500 4matic that I traded on the ES too much, just because there's a lot of specialty tools and such involved. That and my mech is a mercedes master tech.

Especially now knowing you live in NY (I'm assuming not the city by your mention of Nanuet) the roads can't be much better than they are here in New England. Either you're super lucky, or your tie rods and ball joints are made of some mysterious material that doesn't wear out.
Old 09-26-12, 08:26 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

My 07 es350 only has 27xxx miles and I bought it new in Oct 2006. So while I got 6 years out of the michelin S8 I was disappointed the tread was down to 3/32 in only 27k miles. I drive it really easy (never a speeding tix nor parking tix) and it was garaged like 50% of the time, so I guess that explains why my tie rods etc are in good shape.

I don't know if I am the only one to ever get a new set of tires on the es350 and not get an alignment but I will definitely report later when I get a new set of tires. This is the first time I didn't get an alignment with a new set of tires, partially because costco doesn't do it and I really don't want to go to another place to get it unless there are symptoms.

Jcat if you diy most of ur maintenance, why did you mention ur mech doing the oil change and alignment? If this was for ur mbenz, do you mind if I ask how much the oil change and alignment were b/c if it was more than $200 then I will understand why we think differently. Also I guess I might as well kindly ask how much are you then paying for alignments on a yearly basis? Thanks!

Last edited by cl206; 09-26-12 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 08:35 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Try the Bridgestone Serenity.. Cheaper almost same quality
Old 09-26-12, 08:50 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Try the Bridgestone Serenity.. Cheaper almost same quality
hehe thanks for the suggestion, but the michelins are already on my car. They were actually pretty close in price at my costco (michelins had 70 rebate but not the bridgestone). Maybe next time..
Old 09-26-12, 08:56 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchase a lifetime alignment from Firestone for all my cars. In the ten years plus I keep them I'll get 20+ alignments for $150ish on sale.

Quick Reply: Just got new tires! mxv4s!