ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What need to be check for CPO 2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 09:03 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What need to be check for CPO 2008

Hi guys it's me again! Im looking at this CPO 2008 white, 33,600 miles Til Steering wheel,sun shade, parking sensor navigation. chrom wheel. brands new 4 tires. asking price 28k after negotiated I got 1k off 27k plus TTL coming out 29k.... Not a good deal I'm trying to bring it to 28k drive out but lexus dealership is so aggressive on the price. believe me I walked away many time before. Now I just hope to get another $500 off. If I buy this car what should I check before sign the paper work. I also looking at this used dealership it's not lexus dealer. same car 2008 white,navi, chrom, parking sensor not auto tilt steering wheel. 43k miles..Asking price 23k I wonder if I get this car it's gonna be another yr warranty or even on the power train. Price probaly with tax everything come out almost to be 25k.... I'm very tired of looking around. Please give suggestion. Thanks!
Old 09-08-12, 02:40 AM
Assassinus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideally you want to get a vehicle that is CPO'd. That way you get an additional 3yr, 100,000 mile warranty. Plus whenever you take the vehicle to the shop they treat it like it was a brand new car bought off their lot ( ie loaner vehicle and complimentary first service.

My advice be patient. Don't rush into a bad deal!! Before I bought mine, I was looking at a an 08 with nav, park assist, and backup camera and 37k miles. They were asking 24k so I put down a deposit for them to hold it so we could negotiate. But they ended up selling it for 26K while my salesman was off for the weekend. I went in and *****ed. Then the next day someone came in with an 08 pebble beach edition, with everything and more than the previous one, plus it only had 25k miles. I was able to talk them down to 26k out the door taxes and fees, partly was because they screwed up but the overall message is be patient.
Old 09-08-12, 04:06 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd buy a CPO'd car. My Lexus dealer wasn't real negotiable on price, but was very flexible on extras that made the car seem like new. If they're hard on the price, then as a CPO car I'd try to get as much for free as I could. I'd ask for an updated Nav disk, make sure the trunk cargo net, spare and owners manual is there, check the records and make sure they performed the 30k service, replace the key fob batteries, make sure there are two fob's, and check paint for chips and have them repair. At the end of the deal, my ES looked and felt brand new so I didn't regret the price so much.
Old 09-08-12, 05:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Hi guys it's me again! Im looking at this CPO 2008 white, 33,600 miles Til Steering wheel,sun shade, parking sensor navigation. chrom wheel. brands new 4 tires. asking price 28k after negotiated I got 1k off 27k plus TTL coming out 29k.... Not a good deal I'm trying to bring it to 28k drive out but lexus dealership is so aggressive on the price. believe me I walked away many time before. Now I just hope to get another $500 off. If I buy this car what should I check before sign the paper work. I also looking at this used dealership it's not lexus dealer. same car 2008 white,navi, chrom, parking sensor not auto tilt steering wheel. 43k miles..Asking price 23k I wonder if I get this car it's gonna be another yr warranty or even on the power train. Price probaly with tax everything come out almost to be 25k.... I'm very tired of looking around. Please give suggestion. Thanks!
Have you considered looking outside of your local market for a car? There is another thread about buying a CPO car and in it a member (I think he's in MN) bought a 2010 with 13,000 miles , CPO for $25k. Two years newer, (would have the 2010 updates) 20,000 fewer miles for $2,000 less. You could fly to pick up a car and still be ahead.
Old 09-08-12, 06:59 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Im trying to get them down to 28k but it s so hard. Thanks evrybody for helpful information. So you can make deposit and still negotiate? How long can you do that?
Old 09-08-12, 07:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I'd advise not to make a deposit until you've agreed on a price. When you make a deposit you loose bargaining leverage since the dealer knows you are really intrerested in the car and he now has some of your money.
Old 09-08-12, 07:54 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto LexBob2. Negotiate the price down to your comfort level, submit a list of the things that you want done (service, updated navigation disc loaded etc per Poqman post). Give the sales man a typed list and you will want the service report (zero invoice) confirming that all of this was done. I remember picking up my dealer demo 2011 Impala LTZ with 2,500 miles / 5 months of service on it and requesting that an oil change / tire rotation was done before I picked it up. I checked the oil and it was dirty along with the tires not rotated before I drove off. I went back to the salesman and told him about it. They "forgot to do it". My wife and I waited until it was done (I actually was watching them do the service while my wife was in the customer reception waiting area). Just some first hand experiences for you.
Old 09-08-12, 08:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Have you checked Car Max? I'm guessing they have 10-15 stores in Texas and you can probably find some ES350's from them. The prices are fixed, but it would take some of the anxiety and uncertainty out of the purchase for you. At least you'd know you paid the same as the next guy for a car. If I recall, you've been looking for the right car for a LONG time, maybe this is worth a look.
Old 09-09-12, 07:53 AM
feedmitten
Driver School Candidate

Default Cpo

My VERY recent experience wtih a CPO vehicle - they can sell it to you in a condition that makes it a terrible ride, but you may have no recourse and be forced to spend a lot of money the moment you drive it off the lot if you are not vigilant. Make sure you give it a LOOONG test drive along both city streets and highway speeds - be sure it is a smooth ride, and acceptable to you. If it isn't, dont' let them tell you they will fix it. They may not and you may be liable. Before you sign any papers, make sure that any remedies that they promise are put out in writing, and before you drive the car off the lot, be 100% sure they have fixed it. I'd almost recommend taking it to another mechanic first. My experience with CPO is that the dealer treats you like an ******* for simply asking what they promised, and that they do NOT treat it like a new car.

Just my experience, but I promise you that I will never fall for CPO promises again. Going to lose at least $5-$6k on a trade in as soon as it's feasible so I never have to deal with this dealership (only one in my part of the state) again.

Again, take this with a grain of salt, as a lot of people here seem to have had different experiences. Just make sure that everything that ISN'T covered by the Lexus warranty checks out 100% before you buy the car.
Old 09-09-12, 03:02 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

one thing that I missed with my inspection of my 08 CPO ES was the rear vents! Make sure they are not damaged and that they fully rotate (the vent goes up and down and side to side) This is a minor thing but I was pretty upset when I i found this after i left the lot.
Old 09-09-12, 03:27 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
one thing that I missed with my inspection of my 08 CPO ES was the rear vents! Make sure they are not damaged and that they fully rotate (the vent goes up and down and side to side) This is a minor thing but I was pretty upset when I i found this after i left the lot.
This must be a weakness. I had the same finding in my '09 and forgot to mention it in my post above. The rear vents were cracked and as a condition of the sell, they had to replace the back of the center stowage compartment with the new vents in it.
Old 09-09-12, 05:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

After reading all of this it makes you wonder why even bother with a CPO. One could save their money and buy a pre-owned car and get an aftermarket Lexus warranty on your own. There is another thread below this from a CPO buyer with a problem with the car shaking.

Or, just buy something new with factory warranty, not necessarily an ES, with your car budget.
Old 09-09-12, 09:11 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Im not knowlegeable about car....After reading everybody comment I get more stress now..heheh When I bought my 250 it's a brand new so I dont have to deal with everything. I will make note before buying CPO. Thank a lot everybody.Your guys are awsome!
Old 09-10-12, 04:58 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading all of this, CPO is no better than any other used car warranty from a new car dealer. They fix what is obvious, maybe service the car and detail it to look good.