ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Proper way to jack/raise one entire side

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 11:26 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(this is for a nissan 300zx

but my point is that, although you can put your stands at the pinch seams that you use for the scissor jack, there might and SHOULD be a more substantial place to put the jack stands. this info would be provided in the factory service manual, which ive yet to find online.
Old 11-05-20, 03:23 AM
TireFever
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Safe To Jack Up One Side Of A Car?

So is it safe to jack up one side of a car? Jacking up one side of a car obviously could mean either of two things, which are on the right or left or front and back of the car. Essentially, it is better to jack it up ( with a powerful jack such as this Electric Hydraulic Floor Jack) on either the front or back as against the left or right because when you jack up either the left or right, the pinch weld pivot may fold as it operates lengthwise, but with any of front or back, the stands can be put beneath the axle or suspension arms which are roundish and solid parts.

In essence, the stands can turn on top of the jack stands as you lift the car which is a more stable situation. In this way, the stands are not likely to tip if you go about it carefully on a solid surface. Note that with a floor jack, the wheel is liable to slide as the lifting arm of the jack extends.

Be sure to use the light-duty jack that comes with the car to change the wheel in case of having a flat tire. But, never use them for anything else and be careful even at that, since the car can fall off in the process with possible dire consequences.

To learn more about this topic plus the safest place to jack up your car, follow the below link.

https://tirefever.com/is-it-safe-to-...side-of-a-car/
Old 11-07-20, 05:43 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

The safest thing to do is to put car on 4 jack stands.
First lift front end, than lift rear end.

you obviously need to know what you are doing, as far as placing jack stands correctly and using correct jacking spots.
Old 11-07-20, 10:59 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

this is what the service manual says
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jacks.pdf (169.6 KB, 510 views)
Old 02-12-24, 12:37 PM
turbodude28
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tact
I know there are jacking points, both sides, front and back. There is also a jacking point in the front to raise both front tires at once, and there is a jacking point to raise both rear tires at once.

My question is what is the proper way to lift one entire side, both front and rear tire at once? I need to swap my front driver's tire with the rear driver's side because that tire in the front is making my car pull to the left. I know it's that tire making it pull because I swapped it from the right side.

I have the jack that came with the car and I can jack it up either on the front or back at the proper spots, raising one tire, but where do I place a floor jack to raise the other end? If I had two jacks like the one that came with the car i would have no problem. I just don't want to damage something not raising it up at the proper points.
How bout buying a cross beam and adding that to your jack? That is what I do. I have a Daytona 3 Ton jack from Harbor Freight and the cross beam for it.