ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

CLIMATE control [-simple Setting

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 05:05 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CLIMATE control [-simple Setting

if I get this correct,, the temperature u set , is what is called the Set point and the climate control tries to reach it..

if all I want is just outdoor air to be sent inside.- and if the outside air is -say for example 65. and my temp is set at 70, will this draw air from outsdie and try to heat it up a bit.

also- why does the A/C keep coming on. the screen lower left. that means the A/C is being consumed. which obviously I dont want.. even though it is set in heating mode.
Old 02-23-12, 06:48 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the A/C comes on the system is engaging the A/C compressor. The A/C coils remove humidity from the air. So, if it's damp, the A/C will come on to remove excess humidity while it's heating.
Old 02-24-12, 07:17 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
if I get this correct,, the temperature u set , is what is called the Set point and the climate control tries to reach it..

if all I want is just outdoor air to be sent inside.- and if the outside air is -say for example 65. and my temp is set at 70, will this draw air from outsdie and try to heat it up a bit.

also- why does the A/C keep coming on. the screen lower left. that means the A/C is being consumed. which obviously I dont want.. even though it is set in heating mode.
I don't like the car choosing to use A/C automatically or picking my fan speed, so I run the system w/o AUTO selected (the button on the far left of the climate control buttons). You also need to deselect the A/C on the climate control screen if it is on). The car will still attempt to maintain the temperature you select, but if it is lower than ambient all you will get is outside (or inside, depending on your recirculation setting) air without the A/C.

If all you want is outside air, set the AUTO mode off, the A/C to off, your recirculation to outside or auto, and then set your temperature to LO. You'll get only vented air at whatever fan setting you've chosen. If your recirculation button is in the auto mode you might have to push it to select outside air. If you raise the temp then heat will match your setting, but no cooling below outside temperature will happen unless you push the A/C button on the climate control screen.
Old 02-24-12, 08:18 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Interesting discussion here. I guess I must be to old but I would be happy if they got rid of the buttons and were always in auto mode. When I picked up the car I set it to auto and 70* and have never touched it. Works for me.
Old 02-25-12, 06:07 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Interesting discussion here. I guess I must be to old but I would be happy if they got rid of the buttons and were always in auto mode. When I picked up the car I set it to auto and 70* and have never touched it. Works for me.
I haven't tried any "manual" settings on our ES either, but on our previous Hondas (all had "Auto" settings too), if I turned off the AC because it was cold outside, and set the recirculate mode to "Outside", we actually saw a slight increase in gas mileage on long trips. Not much, maybe 1-2 mpg, but it helped a bit to not run the AC compressor.

Jagtos: Unlikely you are older than I am (64), and I still experiment with lots of bizarre stuff. In fact, I just bought my first dirt bike--a KTM 450!
Old 02-25-12, 01:02 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by RickC5
I haven't tried any "manual" settings on our ES either, but on our previous Hondas (all had "Auto" settings too), if I turned off the AC because it was cold outside, and set the recirculate mode to "Outside", we actually saw a slight increase in gas mileage on long trips. Not much, maybe 1-2 mpg, but it helped a bit to not run the AC compressor.

Jagtos: Unlikely you are older than I am (64), and I still experiment with lots of bizarre stuff. In fact, I just bought my first dirt bike--a KTM 450!

Not quite I've got 5 years on you. I am looking at getting back into Jags though and am deciding on whether I go for a roaster or a coupe. The Ferrari is a little raw so maybe an XKR will keep me happy in my old age. Oh as you can imagine 1-2 extra MPG's doesn't mean to much to me. Have fun with the bike . Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-25-12, 01:12 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I don't like the car choosing to use A/C automatically or picking my fan speed, so I run the system w/o AUTO selected (the button on the far left of the climate control buttons). You also need to deselect the A/C on the climate control screen if it is on). The car will still attempt to maintain the temperature you select, but if it is lower than ambient all you will get is outside (or inside, depending on your recirculation setting) air without the A/C.

If all you want is outside air, set the AUTO mode off, the A/C to off, your recirculation to outside or auto, and then set your temperature to LO. You'll get only vented air at whatever fan setting you've chosen. If your recirculation button is in the auto mode you might have to push it to select outside air. If you raise the temp then heat will match your setting, but no cooling below outside temperature will happen unless you push the A/C button on the climate control screen.
]

CORRECT.. . .this is the only way to do it.. ie. keep AC off and set the temp to LOW. it will by default. just grab outside air and push it in.. but the hiccup arises when the inside is set to 70 and the outside is 65. i would have to set the inside to lower than 65 and then it wont kick in the heater.. and just plain suck in air.. .
Old 02-27-12, 02:15 PM
dman00001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I leave it on auto at 68. At times I'll turn the temp value up or down a bit if I need a little more blast but usually not.
Old 03-01-12, 10:47 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

I'm old enough to have owned cars that just had a vent setting, and all that would do is allow outside air into the car's interior, without heating or cooling it in any way.
Old 03-01-12, 12:03 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by Tpcorr
I'm old enough to have owned cars that just had a vent setting, and all that would do is allow outside air into the car's interior, without heating or cooling it in any way.
Yep I recall my fathers 49 DeSoto where the heater was optional. I wonder what year that heaters came as standard equipment. Our 53 Ford had one in it. For AC you turned the side vent window around . LOL
Old 03-02-12, 05:26 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep I recall my fathers 49 DeSoto where the heater was optional. I wonder what year that heaters came as standard equipment. Our 53 Ford had one in it. For AC you turned the side vent window around . LOL
My dad's brand new 1962 Chevy pickup had no heater or radio--a totally stripped-down truck. This was in Yuma, Arizona where heaters weren't needed. Really? Over the years a heater, radio, AC, V8 and 4-speed tranny were added to the truck.

My first vehicle was a 4-cylinder 1932 Ford pickup. The heater was a small flap under the dash that allowed outside air, heated by the exhaust manifold, to enter the cabin. As a heater, it sucked. But, on warmer days, you could loosen the wing-nuts and fold the windshield out for "full-ventilation". LOTS of fresh air!
Old 03-07-12, 09:05 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

My first car was a 1968 Pontiac Tempest, with an inline 6 cylinder engine. There was so much room in the engine bay that it was very easy to work on the motor. My dad and I replaced the water pump, fuel pump, radiator, and all the hoses on that car. In addition, of course to tune-ups and oil changes. I really loved working on that car, but I loved even more my dad teaching me how to do it. That was when I was 16, about 100 years ago
Old 03-07-12, 06:37 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember a short guy in high school that actually climbed into his 1969 GTO engine compartment to work on it.